Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much higher will the horsepower wars go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
One practical consideration.. drive a current "hypercar".. like 918 for example, it's very very fast on straight sections of track.. like 25-30mph faster on back straight at road atlanta than a gt3RS. BUT when you take a corner, you are at approximately the same speed as a gt3RS. So you end up with a strong yo-yo effect compared to traffic, and while the rush of speed is undeniable, it feels like you're spending considerable time slowing vs carrying any momentum. This is an AWD, as close to 1000hp as it gets last generation car.. which is pretty heavy at 3400lb. So, Despite massive tires, it still can't defy laughs of physics and so you have these huge speed differentials all over the track. This is what teaching 1000hp is like.. unless they want to grow contact patch size and put monster "pikes peak" type of downforce on each car. OR.. somehow figure out how to take 1000lb out of each one???

This is why I believe we've reached some sort of practical, not to mention enjoyment limit with these levels of power. Focus will hopefully be in dramatic weight reduction and less power.. but, maybe that's just my wishful thinking.
I was going to quote your summary from the Speedster thread ("...the wife/mistress/daughter would enjoy"), but this says it succinctly enough.
Once again, your vast experience sums it up very well
Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Interesting about what to leave behind.

“Simplify and add lightness.”

Unlike stout, I found the Elise to be a wonderful commuter. It got great gas mileage, parts were cheap, maintenance was cheap, tires and brakes were cheap, it was easy enough to work on, you could get groceries in the trunk and passenger seat, it was reliable enough (ok so it blew an engine, but the oil cooler was later recalled, and they all needed radiators ....) and it is structurally sound enough to survive a roll over. My only complaints were that there were no nannies to turn off (see my last like), it had to be on full boil (6200rpm plus) to get any power, and 6th gear was way too steep ok the highway. The first one got fixed post US importation, the second was fixed with the Exige S supercharger (loved that car except you could not see out the back, the Elise supercharged you could), and the last complaint can be fixed with a celica 6th gear swap. Oh ya, 2000lbs.

The entire interior and seats weighed maybe 80lbs. The only quirk was seat rock, but that could be cured with a fixed RHD passenger seat mount for the driver. I was fine with the blaupunct radio and 4 speaker, the alpine in the Exige S was even better. Heater was an aspirational rather than descriptive term. Ya, the AC was terrible, but it was fine too. The top (hard or soft) dripped a little water in heavy rain, but there was nothing to ruin inside anyway (I did lose a nice tie one time).

To me, that’s the bogey. 2000lbs and for hp the sky’s the limit. With the insane hp from 2.0 liter turbo 4 now, you could make an Elise 4 cylinder with 500hp. The Exige Cup 430 with the supercharged V6 is about perfect for me. I’d have one tomorrow if they imported them. I’d cut the two holes for the soft top stays (each about the size of a quarter) and fit an Elise top like I did on my Exige S and I’d commute in it. Even if it is heavier than the Elise by a few hundred pounds.

Back to porsche, Porsche has been showing pictures of the original berg spyder and the 981 based prototype, so at least in theory they get it. I would leave all the passive safety behind, make a car the size of a Caterham, and turn up the wick. I don’t need woven leather and leather on a roll cage (singer), I don’t need 6 airbags, and I don’t need any screens. Simplify and add lightness.

I will leave this right here.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
I've recently been going through this process myself making all the decisions for my 73 RSR backdate. Do I want power windows cause that adds about 90lbs. Do I want engine extracted heating, cause that costs HP. Literally every decision is a compromise of functionality/power/weight. I'll be at around 2300lbs and 370ish rwhp, but not much in the way or luxuries, and even less in the way of safety (no abs, no nannies of any kind, no power steering, no airbags, etc).
Very nice, Soulsea! I've recently begun to have rebuilt the 2.7RS+ in my 73 911 (mash-up of Carrera RS and 911RM concepts with CF panels). Mechanically Injected motor in my car getting new billet crank and rods, fresh Magnesium case, etc. But still aiming to stay well under 2,000 pounds wet (~250hp and 210 ft-lbs). Custom gear ratios, LSD, electric cooler, and totally built Magnesium 915 from WEVO (with everything they make and assembled by owner, Hayden), 930 brakes, RSR coilovers, 935-style rear suspension, etc. Very fun cars and a great companion to a new Manual GT3 (makes for a more interesting contrast that a GT4, as discussed on another thread).
Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
All will be revealed in due course.

But from the outside spec wise it will look identical to this one but in Leaf Green.

Modern supercars are amazing machines, and unreasonable power is a notable elixir, heck my 19 M5 Comp is basically a four door 991 TTS ... but because of all the tech 150mph feels like 75, and I'm trying to get back to when 75mph felt like 150. (btw that's also why the chassis is from a 79 and not 964, as the former results in maximum 'rawness')
Can't wait to see that car when it is done Soulsea. Porsche did listen to the enthusiasts about the 6 speed manual. We'll see if they do it about this weight issue. The 992 doesn't look that promising so far.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:04 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
As another owner/ builder of a couple early hot rods you know I agree, though I tend to think the biggest challenge is no longer weight, it’s size. Perhaps your experience with the CGT has led you to a different conclusion, but as great as they are I suspect my ideal dream car could never be 991 or 992 shaped even if it were made of carbon.
Im thinking there is a "cake & eat it too" option.. 911-shape AND carbon chassis. which is why I keep coming back to this as my "evolved" idea of the ultimate sports car.. the Ruf SCR. NA, manual, carbon chassis, 911-shape.. "enough" horsepower and all the right bits like inboard suspension.. it's got all the guts of an exotic, stiff and light chassis, amazing design.. simple... i went to see RUF factory last summer
And spent some time looking at it... I'm just collecting funds for a home in SF first before I make the jump but this is pretty much perfection to my eyes. In Meissen Blue

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...assis-details/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...e-911-formula/

Name:  photo223.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  147.1 KBName:  photo278.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  151.7 KBName:  photo602.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  1.28 MBName:  photo562.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  165.5 KBName:  photo503.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  294.9 KB

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-03-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
With it being relatively easy stack electric motors, will be least surprised if we saw 1000+ hp family sedans in a decade.
In a Decade? Count 1 or 2 gens until the german family cars, e63, m5, rs6, get that power or very close.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:30 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

There are still some modern lightweight smaller cars offerings that give a lot of the old car thrills with modern tech. Lotus, Alpine a110, Alfa Romeo 4c, Caterham/Lotus 7, Atom (less so), Wiesmann, Morgans (they look heavy but they are quite light). Hell the spyder is quite nice on it's weight and power.
Then there are the maccas, throw inconel, lightweight wheels and a lightweight spec and it gets light on it's feet.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:49 AM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 229 Likes on 65 Posts

Agreed that a 918 is much too fast to enjoy on the road. Even on the track, I have seen wheelspin at 125 mph in a straight line. The 918 exists as a mad-cap twin-engined car bridging the two eras of petrol and electric. Everything before is petrol and everything after will be electric. The twin-engined petrol+electric combination captures a moment in time in between and will likely never be repeated again. It is fantastic on the autobahn, fantastic on the racetrack, and lots of fun on an airstrip or dragstrip. And very cool if you appreciate its incredible technology. But on American public roads, a 918 is a spaceship among biplanes.

In the middle of this unusable 1000 hp road car madness, Porsche already makes a small lightweight 964-sized sportscar with the right amount of horsepower. and all the modern safety features..the Cayman GT4. It is about the same size as a 964. And it is just about 3000lbs with a full tank of fuel. And a manual. And has all the modern safety features - ABS, airbags, stability control, etc.

My only complaints with a GT4 are its "good but not great" engine (compared to a GT3/RS), and crazy long gearing.

It would be fantastic if Porsche builds a 718 GT4/Spyder with a more intense engine and appropriately short gearing.
If not, I will call up DeMan and make my own for a lot less than a RUF or Singer or anything based on a classic 911.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Lots of people claim they want lightness, but aren't willing to pay for it. It's expensive - how many would seriously pay $100k more for a 992 3RS that saved 100lbs but the rest was the same? At most about 50% of customer orders included the WP - many were dealer orders. Many still don't want PCCB - the customer base has spoken and doesn't want to pay up for it.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Lots of people claim they want lightness, but aren't willing to pay for it. It's expensive - how many would seriously pay $100k more for a 992 3RS that saved 100lbs but the rest was the same? At most about 50% of customer orders included the WP - many were dealer orders. Many still don't want PCCB - the customer base has spoken and doesn't want to pay up for it.
100 pounds from a 3,200 pound car (or possibly more in a 992) is not lightness - it’s a slightly low fuel tank (difference between full extended tank and 1/3 full)...

Last edited by GrantG; 06-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
With it being relatively easy stack electric motors, will be least surprised if we saw 1000+ hp family sedans in a decade.
Yet the speed limits are still 55/65 in NY.. So you get 700-1000hp but 55 speed limit.. More ticket revenue for the state.. Cars are faster and safer but speed limits are still last century and wont be changing anytime soon.
What good is 1000hp with 55 speed limit, stiff speeding penalties and bad roads... Even 500hp is way too fast. For me lighter with moderate HP increase works better.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

Received 369 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Remember when the 1985 Mustang GT went over 200 hp from 4.9 liters for $9,885, and 200 hp was suddenly the new 100 hp? And when jaws dropped at the production 1996 993 Turbo with 400 hp, and then when the 2004 GT3 got within 20 hp on the same 3.6 liters without the turbos?

With that said, count me among those who would rather see weight go down than power go up. Too bad it isn't as easy…
And likewise- I would say the chassis and tire engineering these days makes your average 700hp car much more manageable and "underpowered" than some 400hp cars from the 80's and 90's.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:21 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by NS2 Media
And likewise- I would say the chassis and tire engineering these days makes your average 700hp car much more manageable and "underpowered" than some 400hp cars from the 80's and 90's.
True and then some. The 991 GT2 RS makes the first Subaru Forester Turbo 5MT on its OE cast-with-the-alloys Bridgetone RE92s look downright socially irresponsible.

I did have a good giggle in that Forester...
Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Porsche also charged through the nose to save us only 10-20 lbs.

I'm willing to pay an extra 30-40K for a CF frame like mclaren which saves 300lbs, not pay 20K to save just 10-20 lbs like the 991.2 WP options for the RS.

Porsche would rather rape us to save tiny amounts of weight rather than do the RD to provide a CF frame option for a reasonable amount of $
Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

How much more can the human body take? 2000 hp, 3000 hp? At some point people start passing out.

Quick Reply: How much higher will the horsepower wars go?