Sponsored by:

991.2 RS at Sonoma raceway

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
He didn't apologize. Tried to blame it on my coach for pinching him off. Said he 'took one for the team'....

They had no clue that my coach is a 23 year veteran in racing. Real racing. Not this pseudo pro garbage
Ya I re-watch the video a few times. No way to justify that. Came in way too hot and took a bad line. Terrible way to pass someone if he was trying. Idiot.

Pseudo pro garbage
Old 05-30-2019, 05:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Joe...this looks like your DE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIK...J3bNiBbxCAPoHQ
Old 05-30-2019, 05:59 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

He didn't apologize. Tried to blame it on my coach for pinching him off. Said he 'took one for the team'....

They had no clue that my coach is a 23 year veteran in racing. Real racing. Not this pseudo pro garbage
Crazy stuff! Your car clearly had the line, plus with the speed clown-racer was carrying into that corner.... there was no way he'd have ever made it.
Wrong on so many counts!
Hope he won the DE trophy.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 05-30-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:17 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Some chips in the wheels, but the clear bra protected everything else.

Driver was afflicted with red mist at a hpde. After my coach went up to talk to him, he tried to blame him for shutting the door on him and that he 'took one for the team'. The following session someone else from their 'team' did this:

https://vimeo.com/339271429
Of course, they placed the blame on the car they hit, not themselves.

They won't show their video because the video cards were 'full' and didn't capture.
thats insane, 99.9% of people I meet at the track are great but I guess there's that 0.1% of nutters everywhere. from other posts it looks like race teams out in DE sessions?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:23 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

They would be banned at any trackday I attend. I try to attend events where I can be in a group any know all the drivers which helps build trust and respect amongst all the drivers. I won't go to an event where I don't know others in my group. Part of this is that my preferred track car has been a very light weight developed lotus/Caterham replica and the protection in this car in an accident is next to nil. I don't mind dicing with the gt3's but only where I know the guys. Just had delivered the MB RS this week so no doubt will use that on a few events at track in future.
By the way I found the Dunlop tire discussion very interesting - my car delivered on Cup2 but I buy tarmac rally tires direct off Dunlop motorsport and they have said they can supply the Race2 at a good price so will definitely buy them next.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I was going to say someday I'll buy one of the GT3rs secondhand from you guys and someday try to learn to be as fast but then this thread took a turn...

Which organization ran the track day? Shouldn't it have been obvious to the track marshal that these cars needed to be banned before it happened?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:40 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Looked more like the Spec Miata races I've done than any DE.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

the car that hit the BRZ in front... whoop, what excuse doe he have. short of BRZ brake check Audi (which he didn't) if you hit car in front, it's your fault...

the Z... "taking one for the team"..
they are from out of state. Sonoma is not a track you pass at random. after 100 laps, maybe you start to figure out the passing zones beside front straight.
green GT3RS did NOT shut door, there was no door to shut. it was on line to apex

and lets just assume the green RS was not even there. at there speed that the Z enters the turn, there is no way he can make it on the pavement.

this is DE not racing.
if he wants to do RACING move... pls go racing.
I raced, I have not seen THAT move before.

when you try to text your race car in DE, have some courtesy.
I drove with pro's, PAID factory pro's that you see on TV doing le mans and Daytona. oh they didnt[ just drive in them, they WON both.
they have a lot of patience, they will just wait and pass you safely.
it's those with little to zero talents who will make these passes, if you can call them passes.

just like golf.
a scratch player or pro, will just sit smoke a cigar, have some beer , wait until the front party is cleared.
a so so player will be impatient bc they want to keep the hot streak and will hit the front party.

this is similar.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I keep going back and watching these video's...this is downright frightening, horrible...makes one rethink about doing DE's.

I do DE's to have fun and be with some friends... not have others take STUPID chances like this with my life and car. Hummm..... horrible!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

If you check Joe's video above on its youtube page you'll see the Nissan drivers version in the comments. What a bunch of crap.

Love the last line in his comment too:

"For the record that is a air vent hose routed around the drivers side mirror to flow air into the driver. The slower TC cars suffer from high temps in the cockpit while we are driving around so slow."

What a tool! I'd be surprised if that car could turn lap times any better then Joe's RS with a real pro driving it.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They can use a checkout ride or two from the head DE instructor
Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Wow, this just emphasizes how close we can be to disaster when running a DE. I think I’ve shown this before but it illustrates the same thing. This time a surface condition threw me off to those very close walls at Sonoma (side by side to show it wasn’t driver error):

https://youtu.be/foG0tRCynbM
Yikes! yeah, entry for T8 is not forgiving at all.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dayum! that is impressive! This is some of the mayhem I see at my races. LOL

Originally Posted by shewu
They can use a checkout ride or two from the head DE instructor
;-)
Old 05-31-2019, 12:55 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
8A - 9 is the "Bermuda Triangle" of Sonoma Raceway. If a car is going to drop something on the track or its wet it always seems to be there that someone spins or goes off. I've hit surface stuff twice there in that same general area. The 2nd time in the GT4 was similar to your off except I ended up scrubbing the tirewall on the right side down below the entrance to 9. Everything was normal coming out of 8A, I start the turn into 9 and the next thing I know I'm headed off.
Good to know. Good to know.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:07 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I crazy or was his arm hanging out of the car when he went past you sideways? Not sure if you mentioned it, but which group was this? Hard to believe HOD would have let this guy back on the track.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Am I crazy or was his arm hanging out of the car when he went past you sideways? Not sure if you mentioned it, but which group was this? Hard to believe HOD would have let this guy back on the track.
LOL. Not his arm. Air duct. Looks like an arm.
SpeedSF. Word is they banned them.

Quick Reply: 991.2 RS at Sonoma raceway