Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 RS at Sonoma raceway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 03:17 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 90 Posts

Can you get charged with assault if you approach him in the pits and strike him with your helmet?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
If you check Joe's video above on its youtube page you'll see the Nissan drivers version in the comments. What a bunch of crap.

Love the last line in his comment too:

"For the record that is a air vent hose routed around the drivers side mirror to flow air into the driver. The slower TC cars suffer from high temps in the cockpit while we are driving around so slow."

What a tool! I'd be surprised if that car could turn lap times any better then Joe's RS with a real pro driving it.
The Nissan driver YouTube page has other videos of him at COTA and Sebring and so forth.

One car he is in has the last name of Terry on the windshield. I guess this is his last name?

I’d like to know his name so if I see him signed up for a Chin Track Days Event I can make sure I am not on track with him or at the event. I’m Chin would like to see this video from Joe and see his idiot comments about it on YouTube. I bet this will not be his last time driving stupid aggressive at a race track.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:55 AM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm not surprised at the Nissan's driver response.

In this generation of snowflake-behavior, and its contagious effect on plenty of non-millennial (we call it millennialization), that is expected: they are always right because of their self-entitlement-sentiment-of-superiority.

This is why I mostly run Time Trials (for organizations that separate cars 25-40 secs apart), private track days and DECup with drivers I know very well.

I have slowed down on instructing because too often my students have behaviors similar to the Nissan and R8 drivers above, and my family's well being is relying on such students. Then there is the additional risk of the car truly failing (my C7-Z06, 996 GT3 and 997 GT3RS were prone to ice mode, and a few times I had to use a gravel trap or runoff area to survive or save the car). There is a high risk we take for running in a DE environment (that risk exists on public roads as well), but running a DE with the allegedly racers above take the risk from high to critical.

I'm glad that the OP's instructor, passenger and car are safe.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:59 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Video from my coaches helmet cam when he drove my RS:

Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

I have been following this and have a thematic story to add-

Racing in the skip barber formula car series a decade ago- in rain at laguna seca, I'm trying to pass someone (5th or 6th ish) on inside of turn 2 on lap 1, dude comes in (from 19th) and takes 4 of us out- just sent it dead to rights into my car and hit me into the car ahead and plowed into two other cars. His car was magically undamaged and mine was wasted. My first real racing incident.

His mom (he was 18, I was 28 and an MLB player at the time) came up to apologize on his behalf- I let her have it. Said your kid is a moron and this isn't Forza. Driving like that could have gotten him hospitalized yadda yadda. Go back to karts. Go back to video games. You can't just turn into a pack of cars and not use the brakes. I stomped off. I had snapped and gone full nascar hill billy.

Two weeks later I was his instructor at a track day. The irony. Of course I had to remain professional but the reminder crept out- make sure you actually have a higher than 0% chance of a pass being clean, hoping it works is not a strategy, etc etc.

Racing is fun!
Old 06-09-2019, 11:28 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I have been following this and have a thematic story to add-

Racing in the skip barber formula car series a decade ago- in rain at laguna seca, I'm trying to pass someone (5th or 6th ish) on inside of turn 2 on lap 1, dude comes in (from 19th) and takes 4 of us out- just sent it dead to rights into my car and hit me into the car ahead and plowed into two other cars. His car was magically undamaged and mine was wasted. My first real racing incident.

His mom (he was 18, I was 28 and an MLB player at the time) came up to apologize on his behalf- I let her have it. Said your kid is a moron and this isn't Forza. Driving like that could have gotten him hospitalized yadda yadda. Go back to karts. Go back to video games. You can't just turn into a pack of cars and not use the brakes. I stomped off. I had snapped and gone full nascar hill billy.

Two weeks later I was his instructor at a track day. The irony. Of course I had to remain professional but the reminder crept out- make sure you actually have a higher than 0% chance of a pass being clean, hoping it works is not a strategy, etc etc.

Racing is fun!
A not uncommon story, unfortunately. What made the rearden situation worse was that a) they weren't kids and b) it wasn't a race, just a track day.

A similar situation happened to me at Laguna last year on lap 2. A car that was 2 cars behind me clipped the car behind me and caused a chain reaction that badly damaged 3 cars while he drove off unscathed. If it wasn't for the video I had running, he would have gotten away undetected. He ended up getting probation, and I ended up with a huge repair bill.

This is the video of the incident:

My mechanic (multiple runoffs championships) told me that I needed to qualify up at the front to avoid the riff-raff. I'm not so sure that's totally true, but that's what I've been doing this year and it seems to be (mostly) working. LOL
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Video from my coaches helmet cam when he drove my RS:

https://youtu.be/dF9VXSOyR4E
Yeah, he's extremely good. But I also did not see anything that would make me go "wow, it's impossible". Just a matter of practice and concentration, and 1:44 should be doable one day. Of course, doing that consistently lap after lap is an entirely different story.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
I'm not surprised at the Nissan's driver response.

In this generation of snowflake-behavior, and its contagious effect on plenty of non-millennial (we call it millennialization), that is expected: they are always right because of their self-entitlement-sentiment-of-superiority.

This is why I mostly run Time Trials (for organizations that separate cars 25-40 secs apart), private track days and DECup with drivers I know very well.

I have slowed down on instructing because too often my students have behaviors similar to the Nissan and R8 drivers above, and my family's well being is relying on such students. Then there is the additional risk of the car truly failing (my C7-Z06, 996 GT3 and 997 GT3RS were prone to ice mode, and a few times I had to use a gravel trap or runoff area to survive or save the car). There is a high risk we take for running in a DE environment (that risk exists on public roads as well), but running a DE with the allegedly racers above take the risk from high to critical.

I'm glad that the OP's instructor, passenger and car are safe.
let me apologize in advance.
this is OT
millennials behavior is NOT their fault
it's their parents.
put your kids on a tight leash,, I do mean TIGHT.
just enough air to breath.
"rights" are earned.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
Can you get charged with assault if you approach him in the pits and strike him with your helmet?
yes. that's why I "hire" out for stuff like that.
don't think I am kidding.

Quick Reply: 991.2 RS at Sonoma raceway