Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 RS at Sonoma raceway

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 149 Posts

My worst fear at DE events, seems like your car took quite a battering with all the rocks thrown up, I hope there was not too much damage. Did the offending vehicle suffer a mechanical issue or just brain fade?
Old 05-30-2019, 10:59 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Looks like he attempted to pass on the inside of that turn? And car understeered or he just locked up the brakes?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
My worst fear at DE events, seems like your car took quite a battering with all the rocks thrown up, I hope there was not too much damage. Did the offending vehicle suffer a mechanical issue or just brain fade?
Some chips in the wheels, but the clear bra protected everything else.

Driver was afflicted with red mist at a hpde. After my coach went up to talk to him, he tried to blame him for shutting the door on him and that he 'took one for the team'. The following session someone else from their 'team' did this:

Of course, they placed the blame on the car they hit, not themselves.

They won't show their video because the video cards were 'full' and didn't capture.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Looks like he attempted to pass on the inside of that turn? And car understeered or he just locked up the brakes?
That would have been the better story to go with. Instead they tried to blame my coach for 'cutting him off.'

Let's be clear, that car was nowhere near the pace of my car that day. With me or my coach in the driver seat. I can't speak for my cousin who drove the car for a session too. It's possible too. Lol
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Driver was afflicted with red mist at a hpde. After my coach went up to talk to him, he tried to blame him for shutting the door on him and that he 'took one for the team'. The following session someone else from their 'team' did this:

https://vimeo.com/339271429

They won't show their video because the video cards were 'full' and didn't capture.
WTF! Is that the same car? Almost took out your RS with coach driving and then hit another car on the same day?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
WTF! Is that the same car? Almost took out your RS with coach driving and then hit another car on the same day?
Different car. Same team/group of thugs. One of many other issues they caused that day
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Sheesh. That makes all the track days I've ever been to look like kindergarten with tricycles. And I've done a Touristfahrten at the Ring. Glad you're ok.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:20 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Wow, this just emphasizes how close we can be to disaster when running a DE. I think I’ve shown this before but it illustrates the same thing. This time a surface condition threw me off to those very close walls at Sonoma (side by side to show it wasn’t driver error):

Old 05-30-2019, 12:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Different car. Same team/group of thugs. One of many other issues they caused that day
They are banned from your DE group now right? Jeez...glad everyone is ok but man what an azzhole driver!

Here in the southeast we have race teams using DE's for testing too...they are usually ok slightly more aggressive drivers with nothing really to lose....these race teams at DE's make me wonder sometimes as you would think they might be better drivers but usually not.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:05 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never seen anyone get slammed from behind like Joe did. Hopefully there was some paddock justice served.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:08 PM
jp884
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 184 Posts

Somehow drama always seems to follow me at the track. Video of near disaster. My coach was driving my car with my buddy riding shotgun to see how it is done. I was following behind in my friend's .1 GT3 and this happens

https://youtu.be/-DRYaUijguQ
Wow, simply Wow! What an idiot that guy was.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:12 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Wow, this just emphasizes how close we can be to disaster when running a DE. I think I’ve shown this before but it illustrates the same thing. This time a surface condition threw me off to those very close walls at Sonoma (side by side to show it wasn’t driver error):
8A - 9 is the "Bermuda Triangle" of Sonoma Raceway. If a car is going to drop something on the track or its wet it always seems to be there that someone spins or goes off. I've hit surface stuff twice there in that same general area. The 2nd time in the GT4 was similar to your off except I ended up scrubbing the tirewall on the right side down below the entrance to 9. Everything was normal coming out of 8A, I start the turn into 9 and the next thing I know I'm headed off.

Joe: that's unbelievable and scary as hell, especially that second incident. Watching it the first time I was thinking to myself that guy was looking pretty aggressive in the rear camera view right before that happened.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

https://vimeo.com/339271429

Your coach is a nice guy. I would not have the will power not to punch the guy in the face. It's fine if he apologized and took blame for coming in way too hot, but if he tried to put the blame on me I probably would have gotten charged with assault.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:02 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

JEEEEZ. the nissan Z holy cow. first did he not see the long paved run off in front of him?? and in your slow mo when he was going through the first patch of grass he had one hand out the window.. WTF!!

Not even going to go in to the audi incident. the brz must have had some nice damage after that hit.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drdonger
Your coach is a nice guy. I would not have the will power not to punch the guy in the face. It's fine if he apologized and took blame for coming in way too hot, but if he tried to put the blame on me I probably would have gotten charged with assault.
He didn't apologize. Tried to blame it on my coach for pinching him off. Said he 'took one for the team'....

They had no clue that my coach is a 23 year veteran in racing. Real racing. Not this pseudo pro garbage

Quick Reply: 991.2 RS at Sonoma raceway