Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

GPS device works. I have one in my office
Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^I need to invest in one of those also.

To answer earlier question, my exhaust is 100% oem before installing these tips. I've passed events in the UK <92db limit and at one particular circuit that has monitors EVERYWHERE and is a difficult 92. Ask anyone from the UK about Brands Hatch on a GP day; they are STRICT at 92 because the GP part of the circuit runs close to houses and the town hall has its own monitor in addition to MSV's. That's no g'tee it will work at another 92 dB circuit. But every other Gt3/RS was black flagged for noise and sent home the days i went. I was never even warned. Sorry, while I am moving back to the US this summer, no plans for Laguna Seca anytime soon. So, any "front line" testing will need to come from someone else good luck!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

FWIW:

I emailed Joe Kou when I first got my .1 GT3 because I wasn't sure if it would pass with a sharkwerks CMB even with track nanny and turn downs. This was what he told me for a GT3 with OEM exhaust:

"96-98dB with nothing
92dB with track nanny
88dB with track nanny and turnaway pipes"

My experience so far, all of the below WITH track nanny all on 90db days:

OEM sides - Sharkwerks - SP Motorsports turnaways: Fail
Valved side deletes - OEM center - Soul muffled turndowns: Fail
OEM sides - JCR silenced CMB - Soul muffled turndowns: Fail

All of the above blew a 94-95. One might be OK on a 92 db day because I've been told they let you slide a couple db. I'm tracking out of 5 in 3rd with my RPM starting in the 6700-7000 range. Just a slight hesitation on throttle and I'd pass with the last (and current) setup all day so it's very close for me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive a 92db day here soon.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^u r running an x-pipe, no? Kinda defeats purpose of trying to meet noise limits of a quiet track. Gotta go oem + tail-pipe silencers with turn-down. Then u r about as quiet as you can get. And with 3 bolts u r back to oem.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
^^^u r running an x-pipe, no? Kinda defeats purpose of trying to meet noise limits of a quiet track. Gotta go oem + tail-pipe silencers with turn-down. Then u r about as quiet as you can get. And with 3 bolts u r back to oem.
I agree, but the whole point of this thread is many don't want to run OEM exhaust all the time just for Laguna. And even the setup you mention above won't pass there reliably without GPS (Track Nanny).
The following users liked this post:
Ducati1199 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
These worked awesome for me

https://www.jcr-developments.com/por...d-exhaust-tips

A few 991 Gt3/RS sent home. I was WOT all day.
A lot of the UK tracks have similar strict noise limits to Laguna so we have plenty of experience of this. Our silenced tips in combination with the factory exhaust will pass.

We have a ton of customers here in the UK running this set up lapping all day without issues, great to hear you’re experiencing similar success

JC
Old 06-25-2019, 01:56 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
A lot of the UK tracks have similar strict noise limits to Laguna so we have plenty of experience of this. Our silenced tips in combination with the factory exhaust will pass.

We have a ton of customers here in the UK running this set up lapping all day without issues, great to hear you’re experiencing similar success

JC
Jonny,

That means your silenced tips would need to drop the sound level 6-8 db to reliably pass at Laguna with no GPS. You know I love your stuff but I've got to question that.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:37 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I'm going to this. Anyone know if a .2 RS with GMG center delete will be ok on a 103 event? I'm told by my shop that all the racers he supports are going with straight pipes during the same event. So do they not actually measure on 103 days? Seems to me that any straight pipe race car will go way over 103.
Check your PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:54 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Idk about 6 or 8db drops. Idk what oem exhaust noise levels are as a starting point. However, I’ve passed several 92db drive-by tracks at wot in the UK on 991.2 gt3 and 3rs w/oem exhaust and the jcr silencer tail-pipes with down-turn pipes. I don’t have any experience with them on anything other than oem exhaust; no experience w/them using a bypass or specifically at Laguna, but plenty of days at <92db where i drove all day long w/no warnings. Good luck; all these quiet circuits suck; at least you have a fighting chance with porsche; zero chance with ferrari. Someone sent me a link the other day for street cameras noise limit test spots coming to a theater near you. Pretty soon, all the after-mkt exhaust guys are going to switch to products that allow you to even drive your noisy antique anywhere! Sad days for sports cars
Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Jonny,

That means your silenced tips would need to drop the sound level 6-8 db to reliably pass at Laguna with no GPS. You know I love your stuff but I've got to question that.
It's the turn down in conjunction with the silencers which have the effect. On a static noise test the dB drop with the silenced tips installed is 4/5dB as quoted on our site however a more dynamic 'drive-by' noise test the effect is seemingly more dramatic but of course results do vary depending on weather and noise meter placement.

All I can say is here in the UK a 991.2 GT3 will blow limits by 5/8dB however with our Silenced Tips installed they pass no problem.

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 06-26-2019, 09:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
FWIW:

I emailed Joe Kou when I first got my .1 GT3 because I wasn't sure if it would pass with a sharkwerks CMB even with track nanny and turn downs. This was what he told me for a GT3 with OEM exhaust:

"96-98dB with nothing
92dB with track nanny
88dB with track nanny and turnaway pipes"

My experience so far, all of the below WITH track nanny all on 90db days:

OEM sides - Sharkwerks - SP Motorsports turnaways: Fail
Valved side deletes - OEM center - Soul muffled turndowns: Fail
OEM sides - JCR silenced CMB - Soul muffled turndowns: Fail

All of the above blew a 94-95. One might be OK on a 92 db day because I've been told they let you slide a couple db. I'm tracking out of 5 in 3rd with my RPM starting in the 6700-7000 range. Just a slight hesitation on throttle and I'd pass with the last (and current) setup all day so it's very close for me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive a 92db day here soon.
Are you 100% sure your track nanny is working?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

It is, I can hear the exhaust close and reopen in my videos. Plus I run around on the street using the Track Nanny to force the valves open all the time and it works flawlessly.

None of my configurations I listed above (that all failed) is all OEM. I was hoping the JCR silenced CMB would pass in conjunction with the OEM sides / silenced turn downs / Track Nanny as the silencers on the bypass portion of the JCR are pretty good size but no joy. It's close but everytime I get a good run out of 5 I blow sound.

You advised me to leave it all OEM last year if I didn't want any issues. Problem is I got addicted to the 9K crack on the street! Proverbial "have my cake and eat it too" situation.
The following users liked this post:
4pointslow (07-15-2023)
Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Will a 987.2 Cayman S with catless headers and a GT3 steel center muffler pass 103db sound limit?
Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Martin,

I would still bring some turn tips to be safe.

Peter
Old 06-26-2019, 06:49 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Lol, this is getting complex.

Please raise your hand if you have the following and can pass sound at LS
  • 991.2 GT3 ... and
  • Side Deletes - Valved... and
  • Stock/OEM Center... and
  • Silenced + Turned Down Tips... and
  • NO track nanny GPS
If nobody has this I'd suggest that Jonny at JCR ship the tips to an existing customer that has the side deletes so they can test at LS (turning off their track nanny). If it passes sound at LS I will throw down for a set of the tips immediately - I'm just too lazy to order the parts, book a track day, test get a meatball and then head home and have to ship parts back to the UK or sell online for a loss. *hint* Jonny

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca & Exhaust Noise Levels