Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

a lot of things are rare.
rare doesn't meant good or collectable
T and any GT3/RS short of RS4.0, none are collectable.
low production number doesn't automatically mean collectable either
Old 04-26-2019, 03:54 AM
jp884
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
991.1 and 991.2 911 turbo and 991.2 carrera turbo all have very noticeable lag. Driven all three extensively. Much better than older Porsche turbos but major lag compared to the knife edge response of a GT3. No offense jp884 but it kinda surprises me you don’t notice it on your TTS.

The only lag free turbo car is the 488/pista. No other manufacturer has truly solved turbo lag. Every turbo from MB, BMW, Porsche, Mclaren, etc. annoys me with their turbo lag, even though all those cars have less lag than turbos of a decade or more ago.
No offense taken. I just seriously don’t feel it. When I step on it, it goes. I do have aftermarket headers and cats as well as exhaust but I can’t imagine that’s the reason why I’m not feeling the lag in the TTS. True the response in the GT3 is immediate but I feel it’s insignificant in comparison. The 996 and 993 sure that was some lag. Like I said, stepping on my dads GT2 on a straight away. I sometimes wondered if my foot was still on the pedal until the boost came on. I Guess I need to spend some serious time between the two cars to truly dissect the two, other than the noticeable road feel and sound. Seems there are some track days that need to be in order.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
No offense taken. I just seriously don’t feel it. When I step on it, it goes. I do have aftermarket headers and cats as well as exhaust but I can’t imagine that’s the reason why I’m not feeling the lag in the TTS. True the response in the GT3 is immediate but I feel it’s insignificant in comparison. The 996 and 993 sure that was some lag. Like I said, stepping on my dads GT2 on a straight away. I sometimes wondered if my foot was still on the pedal until the boost came on. I Guess I need to spend some serious time between the two cars to truly dissect the two, other than the noticeable road feel and sound. Seems there are some track days that need to be in order.
I think it's all relative. Turbo lag has improved dramatically from the 993 and 996 days. It still isn't quite NA responsive or linear, but the gap has closed significantly.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:03 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Twin turbos def help to reduce the lag, besides, as a daily driver, it’s far better not needing 8k revs to get some grunt happening.

I also think collectability is relative, the T costs way less than and GT car of the same series, I look at depreciation more so and the GT car, with a couple of exceptions, will loose a greater % (if not in $ a least).

TTS, GT3/RS/T, GT2 all are great, enjoy fellas!
Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
a lot of things are rare.
rare doesn't meant good or collectable
T and any GT3/RS short of RS4.0, none are collectable.
low production number doesn't automatically mean collectable either
I agree with some of this, though the 997.2 RS 3.8 is viewed as highly collectible by many and the better examples sell way over sticker. We'll have to just wait and see on the GT3 Touring; I think some will be surprised. None of this will matter for me -- like Cam, I drive my cars. Speaking of which, I'm off for some morning fun in the mountains.

Quick Reply: The “most 911, 911 out there” ?