Sponsored by:

why so much talk about price

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:15 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts
Default why so much talk about price

Granted new to this particular board but I have noticed more talk about pricing depreciation etc than other forums . Why not talk about driving experience, joys of being able to afford these cars and all the good technical things you find on many of the other forums. Sometimes the forums sound like the business reports on TV rather than an enthusiast forum. If you bought a Porsche as an investment rather than to drive it maybe you should post on CNBC
Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sdm100
Granted new to this particular board but I have noticed more talk about pricing depreciation etc than other forums . Why not talk about driving experience, joys of being able to afford these cars and all the good technical things you find on many of the other forums. Sometimes the forums sound like the business reports on TV rather than an enthusiast forum. If you bought a Porsche as an investment rather than to drive it maybe you should post on CNBC
Because some people are worried about their depreciation of the car thinking it will hold values... its a car, not a numbered car, not limited edition like the dealerships want to make you think... For me i just get out and drive, if the car is worth less when and if I sell, I consider that the cost of having fun and move on. These are not an investment to retire on... they are an investment in good times!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

you need to search for my last thread! I wrote a 10,000 word essay on driving! ;-)
Old 04-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

It is crazy no doubt

Because everyone(not everyone) wants to drive a "GT" cars for free or, minimal expenses, and then unload/flip it when it suits them with minimal to $0 loss.

Note to forum - these are depreciating assets. I look at whatever the car is worth is just a bonus because I pay in cash so money is gone.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:53 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

So basically....we have another thread on price and depreciation
Old 04-03-2019, 12:56 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

bump
Old 04-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
That is actually true and pretty funny because I took the bait
Old 04-03-2019, 12:57 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Sigh... can't disagree here unfortunately.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I read a few other car forums, so I agree that price is discussed here far more often, even when compared to a Ferrari forum. My wild *** guess is that most GT cars are priced in a range that a lot of people can stretch to buy. If you are in the market for a Ferraris, McLarens or Lambos you either have lots of money or you don't. I imagine a lot more GT cars are financed vs other exotics where cash is used.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I read a few other car forums, so I agree that price is discussed here far more often, even when compared to a Ferrari forum. My wild *** guess is that most GT cars are priced in a range that a lot of people can stretch to buy. If you are in the market for a Ferraris, McLarens or Lambos you either have lots of money or you don't. I imagine a lot more GT cars are financed vs other exotics where cash is used.
This statement may or may not be true (I know a few people who 'stretched' to buy entry-level Lambos). However I think that the reason value threads populate the GT boards so much is that part of the "check the box" assumptions when many buy GT P-cars, is that the depreciation curve (% drop) on a GT car would typically be less steep than on an equally driven competitor. This general expectation "GT car truism" is at the root of most value threads as folks are simply trying to (1) substantiate/verify the notion of the lesser depreciation hit or (2) are trying to speculate at how gradual the depreciation decline curve will be in the future. Other boards don't have this problem because it's generally known that if you put miles on a Ferrari, Lambo or AMG, its value would drop significantly (heck McLarens depreciate quickly without even being driven!! LOL). There is a robust market for a GT3 with 10,000+ miles on it but not as robust market for a 10K mile Ferrari. I don't generally knock "value threads" because they are merely a reflection of the market supply/demand pricing dynamic of GT cars. Now for those who expect to drive GT cars for FREE...that's a different story!!

GT cars just happen to be 'relatively' affordable cars that retain their value much better than most toys...it's no surprise that people want to understand/discuss what that future value might be, regardless of their financial means.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Buy a 997 RS and join that forum. Less money talk over there That said, we have all spent 150-300K plus for a car. Where I come from you can buy a three bedroom house 5 acres and helluva nice garage! At the end of the day it's an awful lot of money for most of us. EVERYBODY is concerned about VALUE and resale, don't let anyone fool you. The difference is some drive and some don't.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

christ u ppl
beat around the bushes
too many buy with low int money

too
many newbies

too many whiners

tok many poseurs

man up
Old 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

ironic and not surprising
Old 04-03-2019, 02:46 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Because when someone pays big ADM, they subconsciously want confirmation that the dealer was actually giving them a good deal and not actually bending them over .
Old 04-03-2019, 02:49 PM
dingding
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I have no money

Quick Reply: why so much talk about price