Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why so much talk about price

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 75 Posts

I will confess that I enjoy a bit of the drama... and some of the speculation... some threads are really entertaining, but with absolutely no real value... and that's ok. Now I do value RL as a place where you can obtain good information... actually helpful and constructive... specially for a first time P. owner like me. It is just a matter of how you use the platform...

Threads about money don't bother me... I still have the choice to participate or not in the discussion... we all have. Live and let live folks.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

r
Originally Posted by jp884
I work really hard to reach the depreciation plateau on my cars, that way I don't feel guilty driving the **** out of them. Getting there is half the battle with a kid in tow and a wife that wants me around as much as possible (so finding a whole day to break away and just drive, is challenging but I try).
i feel u
send wife out for a treat. I send my to in n out burger
so she can buy me lunch after she stabilized patients HR. it’s better than doing laundry after she gets off. she is happy and im happy too

if ur wife isn’t as easy to pls as mine then send her to a day spa. i tried that. my prefer going to
farmers mkt to buy fresh fruit for us

Originally Posted by victorc31
There was a guy in another thread ripping mad at Porsche owners for paying adm and he says he's had 30 911s.
So I'm trying to figure out who is throwing around all the hate... I paid 6k over and I don't care where prices are going over the next year or 2.
But I thought most folks angry with this market and dealers and flippers and owners etc,... were just angry cause they don't/can't have one..

I'd be curious how many folks out there that are furious about pricing are owners of 991 gt cars?
I can't imagine too many owners being so bent out of shape about … heck.. anything really :-)
no one is happy about adm
but no one force u to buy
look at san franciscans. my entire house would fit in some out of state friends bathroom. and my house while not big isn’t that small. but I choose to live here. I cannot blame the fkg tech young punks with no
wife kids and high pay writing idiotic codes and devalue human life and making virtual reality into reality such that my real life is on FB and my physical
existence is no longer relevant... oh did I just blame the entire tech community?
apologies a*holes

Originally Posted by n3rd
Admins, can we make a sub forum to discuss prices, value, and depreciation?
no
then no one will b left in any other forums
Old 04-03-2019, 08:52 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Really, how do you value/assess good food...many would say, how it tastes...but what do I know, all I do is track my GT3
You don't sell food after you've consumed it.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
I will confess that I enjoy a bit of the drama... and some of the speculation... some threads are really entertaining, but with absolutely no real value... and that's ok. Now I do value RL as a place where you can obtain good information... actually helpful and constructive... specially for a first time P. owner like me. It is just a matter of how you use the platform...

Threads about money don't bother me... I still have the choice to participate or not in the discussion... we all have. Live and let live folks.
Well said!
The fact that 99% of RL’ers click on value threads gives you an indication of how many of us care about value.
”Threads about money”...subscribed LOL
Old 04-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
You don't sell food after you've consumed it.
How do you know what I do with food after I consume it...LOL
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

How do you know what I do with food after I consume it...LOL
Deflection duly noted
Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 PM
360MVA
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
r
no one is happy about adm
but no one force u to buy
l
Exactly, I don't get the hate. Everyone has a choice. In or out - no one if forcing anyones hand.

Last edited by 360MVA; 04-03-2019 at 10:32 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

didnr know that’s french
I tend to jus put letters together and usually ppl
unseesrand me

and when they don’t or when I insulted them in purpose ... well u knkw I can t type and I have poor grammar
Perfekt
Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,326 Likes on 2,121 Posts

I think what we’re witnessing is a byproduct of Instagram-effect. There a lot of folks that need the affirmation online, and at C&C, and being able to rent these cars for a short amount of time is something they’ve calculated beforehand. Unfortunately, their calculations didn’t predict the downturn on values of the cars. When I say rent, I do not mean it in the general sense that we all know. These guys buy a car for 6 months, get the kudos online and in person, and sells. They can’t afford a $180k car, but they can afford the hit of $10k-$20k cost (depreciation) of renting it for a few months.

A lot lot of folks really believe that if they can swing the payment long enough on an exotic, it will aid in getting their foot in the door with a new circle of success. Unfortunately, those circles can easily smell the BS, and they’ll have to go back to impressing carspotters.

I wouldn’t be surprised when the tide goes out again to see how many guys making $6k a month were spending half of it on their exotic payment.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm with Akunob on that - specifically how you pay for the car shouldn't be relevant to the car's value and/or it's future trajectory or how you might end up feeling about it.

Honestly with rates as low as they are, I often finance things I could instead buy outright cash, just because I might put that cash to work at a better rate elsewhere. How you manage your own liquidity & asset allocation & leverage, it's completely orthogonal to whether you can afford an expensive car or whether you should be buying one. Minimum leverage, sure it's conservative but it's not always optimal.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:00 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm sick of those who say "I pay cash so I don't care about the value of my car"
I call BS
I pay cash when I go out to dinner, I still care how it tastes
value threads are common because people want to know if they got a good deal or not
Ferrari-chat doesn't have value threads because Ferrari owners don't drive their cars
There's one person I know who doesn't care about the value of cars...his name is Floyd Mayweather
Unless you're doing it like The Champ "Floyd TMT", you low-key care about the value of your GT car...stop pretending/faking!
Just because I would rather drive my GT3 than TALK about it's value...that does not mean I don't care what it is worth
Dude, I agree with you but I still don't pay cash when I go out to dinner Lol.
Value threads don't bother me because I myself am not worried about it. I do however find them to be highly entertaining by reading comments like "Stretch","Poser", "Cash", and by reading peoples comments about spending money like it means nothing.

Brb, let me grab some more pop corn Lmao
Old 04-04-2019, 12:31 AM
jp884
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 184 Posts

[QUOTE=mooty;15749438]r
i feel u
so she can buy me lunch after she stabilized patients HR. it’s better than doing laundry after she gets off. she is happy and im happy too

if ur wife isn’t as easy to pls as mine then send her to a day spa. i tried that. my prefer going to

I wish it were that easy Mooty, I would buy her yearly memberships to day spas. She needs me to physically be next to her carrying our baby girl and out to brunch and dinner to play daddy catch up. Don’t get me wrong , I love being a dad. But man oh man, do I love carving switchbacks in a car or a road bike as well. So when I do get free, it’s time to drive, not speculate.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:33 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sick of those who say "I pay cash so I don't care about the value of my car"
I call BS
I pay cash when I go out to dinner, I still care how it tastes
value threads are common because people want to know if they got a good deal or not
Ferrari-chat doesn't have value threads because Ferrari owners don't drive their cars
There's one person I know who doesn't care about the value of cars...his name is Floyd Mayweather
Unless you're doing it like The Champ "Floyd TMT", you low-key care about the value of your GT car...stop pretending/faking!
Just because I would rather drive my GT3 than TALK about it's value...that does not mean I don't care what it is worth
fair enough, i do care about the value but i’m not surprised a car depreciates like a car.. pretty reasonable expectations, it’s the end of the cycle, i’m not anybody’s preferred customer.. there’s no way I’ll make money on a car and I knew that going in. Funny how no one is complaining that prices are going down.. everyone is complaining that prices are staying up.. seems like the buyers complaining, not the sellers

the one thing that keeps getting me is puttimg a $170k car (maybe 150 now) in miami traffic... now thats something that doesnt make sense! Thats another story though.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

[QUOTE=jp884;15749953]
r
i feel u

I wish it were that easy Mooty, I would buy her yearly memberships to day spas. She needs me to physically be next to her carrying our baby girl and out to brunch and dinner to play daddy catch up. Don’t get me wrong , I love being a dad. But man oh man, do I love carving switchbacks in a car or a road bike as well. So when I do get free, it’s time to drive, not speculate.
I used to bomb down rock garden on my seven duo or Ellsworth truth with a baby stroller attached.... maybe that's why Mia is a bit strange now at 14. too much brain bouncing....
I also take the kids driving. Mia is good. max carries a barf box with him. the boy needs more training ugh...
but spending time with them is good.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:46 AM
porsche526
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

This statement may or may not be true (I know a few people who 'stretched' to buy entry-level Lambos). However I think that the reason value threads populate the GT boards so much is that part of the "check the box" assumptions when many buy GT P-cars, is that the depreciation curve (% drop) on a GT car would typically be less steep than on an equally driven competitor. This general expectation "GT car truism" is at the root of most value threads as folks are simply trying to (1) substantiate/verify the notion of the lesser depreciation hit or (2) are trying to speculate at how gradual the depreciation decline curve will be in the future. Other boards don't have this problem because it's generally known that if you put miles on a Ferrari, Lambo or AMG, its value would drop significantly (heck McLarens depreciate quickly without even being driven!! LOL). There is a robust market for a GT3 with 10,000+ miles on it but not as robust market for a 10K mile Ferrari. I don't generally knock "value threads" because they are merely a reflection of the market supply/demand pricing dynamic of GT cars. Now for those who expect to drive GT cars for FREE...that's a different story!!

GT cars just happen to be 'relatively' affordable cars that retain their value much better than most toys...it's no surprise that people want to understand/discuss what that future value might be, regardless of their financial means.
well said.....

Quick Reply: why so much talk about price