Sponsored by:

When to change trailer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default When to change trailer tires?

I have a Trailex open trailer that I've used 6 times in 2 years. It's parked outside on the driveway when not in use. The tires look brand new, and likely will get dry rot before they show any wear.

So, as the title states, how much time should pass before I should change the trailer tires?

I also posted in the racing forum, but the guys there may be too hard core and simply wear down their trailer tires, so I cross posted here.

Thanks!

EDIT:. Okay, I misspelled the title
Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

when I was still tracking and trailering, I changed trailer tires every 2 years on my open trailer, just as a precaution, as they aren't that expensive. Later I got an enclosed trailer, and instead of trailer tires, I used LT tires on it. Sold it after 3 years, but I think the truck tires would be good for 5 years. LT tires had a higher load rating than trailer tires, and a higher speed rating.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 77 Posts

If the tires look good, no evidence of rot or cracking, I still change tires on everything at five years or tread depth of 4/32 minimum ( yes the federal standard and wear bars are at 2/32. Also since I don’t use my trailer that much either I check tire pressure often and keep them pumped to at least recommended cold ratings hope that helps. Don’t forget to check the spare
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Anything to block the sun helps a ton. Cut out plywood is the old school way, but I am sure there is some fancier method.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the responses, all. I had no clue, so at least now I have something to go by.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

Toss them every 3 years. Consider what is in/on the trailer. How will it effect you when one of those crappy tires blows out. Mine have good tread but are getting tossed this year. Timed out. I may replace with Light Truck tires but may need different wheels for that.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing, nothing is more annoying that a trailer tire blow out to or from a happy race weekend. I think they’re all made of recycled cardboard, ash and mayonnaise somewhere in Bangladesh. I usually bought the higher rated suitable tire depending on your load, E or F.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:41 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Nothing, nothing is more annoying that a trailer tire blow out to or from a happy race weekend. I think they’re all made of recycled cardboard, ash and mayonnaise somewhere in Bangladesh. I usually bought the higher rated suitable tire depending on your load, E or F.
Agreed. Recommend everyone get some trailer ramps (from Race Ramps) in case you need to change a trailer tire. Makes life alot easier.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RossP
Agreed. Recommend everyone get some trailer ramps (from Race Ramps) in case you need to change a trailer tire. Makes life alot easier.
Interesting. I assumed you would change a trailer flat tire mid trip with the car still loaded and the trailer still hitched to the tow vehicle. Not the case?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:04 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Palting. when I replaced my tires on my open trailer, I did at 4 years time line although tires had plenty of tread they were made in China , Replaced with Goodyear trailer tires their high end trailer tire only one made in USA , cost around $650
mounted and balanced on
Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Interesting. I assumed you would change a trailer flat tire mid trip with the car still loaded and the trailer still hitched to the tow vehicle. Not the case?
My take on what he was implying... is the ramp allows your to drive up on the other tandem wheel/tire.
Basically a built in jack (but easier) while changing the other tire over to the spare.

Good idea.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

I keep a HF hydraulic jack in the trailer just for that reason. That was bought after the time I had a blowout and had to use the jack from my superduty. That required moving a lot of stuff piled inside the cabin.
Examine your tires often if they are the cheap imports, and max speed is 65? They will start delaminating if pushed to fast and the scary part is that the bulging happens on the inside wall where you can't see it.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:52 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just changed mine; they had a 2013 date code. Overdue.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
With a trailer ramp, you can just roll the axle without the flat onto the ramp, and it lifts the other axle making it easier/faster to change on the side of the road. Makes a trailer change a 15 min exercise which will be appreciated if you are on the side of an interstate.

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
My take on what he was implying... is the ramp allows your to drive up on the other tandem wheel/tire.
Basically a built in jack (but easier) while changing the other tire over to the spare.

Good idea.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

With a trailer ramp, you can just roll the axle without the flat onto the ramp, and it lifts the other axle making it easier/faster to change on the side of the road. Makes a trailer change a 15 min exercise which will be appreciated if you are on the side of an interstate.

Exactly. These are the ones I have: https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/trai...er-side-kicks/
Ingenious!! Would never have thought about it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: When to change trailer tires?