Sponsored by:

Which one's a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 07:10 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Correcto. GT3/RS 4.0 is Motorsport developed and derived.

2RS 3.8 is not.

Just Facts. Not hate or spin narrative.
The GT3 engine sure needed a lot of changes to become race ready, guess the starting point was much better on the 3.8 TT? Just facts, not hating. Proof is in the number of changed parts.

Above may include some sarcasm. And let's please put this stupid rabbit holed discussion to rest.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
The GT3 engine sure needed a lot of changes to become race ready, guess the starting point was much better on the 3.8 TT? Just facts, not hating. Proof is in the number of changed parts.

Above may include some sarcasm. And let's please put this stupid rabbit holed discussion to rest.
GT3/RS engine was based and derived from a Motorsport designed and built engine for racing. Therefore it’s a “Motorsport” engine. They weren’t “changes” to an existing production engine. This 4.0 L NA in the GT3/RS is in large part the same as the Cup/R and the basis for the RSR lump.

As to the 3.8 in the 2RS PAG would not use an engine or the majority of it if it believed it could not endure the rigorous crucible of competition in a GT car whether Motorsport derived or not.

To some Motorsport developed and derived is important and means something. To others, not.

I’ve got 4 of these. Should tell you where my heads at.

Wiki on the GT3/RS 4.0

Last edited by Waxer; 05-25-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
nah he has a point, I don't even know why PAG bothered with the paltry 700 HP top of the range 2RS. Those idiots. 3RS is the greatest GT car PAG has ever made, especially if 991.2 and even more so in GR... and if you want to talk lap times...
Lol. Yup. Trying to put facts on the table with some be like...

Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

If you track at all gt2, if you dont touring.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Gitana991
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i own both a 2RS and 991.2 first batch 3RS awaiting a batch 2 3RS. The NA engine is just mind blowing for sure and the 3RS such an all round car with telepathic steering! Whether it is 500bhp or 700bhp... as a weekend car I never get close to half of what they can do. But if I had to just keep one and despite the initial question mark when I had been given an allocation for the 2RS... I think I would keep the 2RS. It would break my heart to lose the NA engine. But the 2RS is one of these beasts, a flawed one probably compared to the perfection of other Turbo cars like 600LT, Pista. But it has a soul. It asks you questions. It looks and feels even more special than GT3s to me. You just put too much throttle on a dry road and... the rear goes, you begin to slide. And you smile, you sweat a bit, you tell the story to your mates. This car reminds me of how people described the 930 Porsche Turbo or the 959. I dont care if it goes below MRSP (I have enough equity in it): it is just a car which I love, want to keep and, if my circumstances changed... would remember for ever. And I think... this tiny bit more than a GT3.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

^ Thats how you decide which to keep. The one that makes you happier.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Not sure how this became a 3RS v 2RS thread. I'd take 3RS because 9000RPM N/A and glorious sound in a world where everything is turbo. But I'd take the GT3 Touring over both because 6MT in a world where everything is auto/paddles, and also how it looks (clean lines, body style). Good luck OP with your decision and with getting this thread back on track... Aye yai yai.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:54 AM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsch
Not sure how this became a 3RS v 2RS thread. I'd take 3RS because 9000RPM N/A and glorious sound in a world where everything is turbo. But I'd take the GT3 Touring over both because 6MT in a world where everything is auto/paddles, and also how it looks (clean lines, body style). Good luck OP with your decision and with getting this thread back on track... Aye yai yai.
I"m not sure either! And most of this sparked up after I posted the update on where I was at, saying I'd likely get rid of the Touring. Oh well, still appreciate everyones input on this. Today is a lovely day here, after a week of miserable rain, Time to take them both out again and enjoy life!
Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 AM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All of these DFI engines, since 2009 are from a "9A1" engine case architecture, period.

If the engine number starts with 9A1 - that's your basic block. It has been used for all of the models (4.0 GT3, 3.8 GT3, 2RS, R, RS, TT, Cayman, Boxster, Carrera, Cup, R, etc).
The all use the same ALUSilcon material and the BLOCKs are dimensionally the same. They all have the same provisional holes for mounts and 'taps', but as far I can see they didn't add 'more strengthing material to one or the other.'

Over the years, components have various changes - crank, heads, intake, exhaust, etc - however, they all conform to the 9A1 design and layout (ex. the components are always in the same place, starter, water pump, oil, alternator, bolts holes, stud placements). In fact, any transmission that was designed for a 9A1 will bolt up to any 9A1.

So with the right components (crank, piston, heads, etc.) you can take a 991GT2RS engine block, strip it, and bolt on the GT3 components - and you have the 991.2 GT3 engine. And vice versa... You can do that with a 10-year-old Carrera or Boxster 9A1 block too! $$$! You might have to hone or drill things, but fundamentally the engine cores are the same.

My point is this "motorsports" derived statement, sounds like it's a different engine altogether. It's still a 9A1. The GT3 4.0/RS is a 9A1 motor (9A1.100.977.X)

Yes, there are constant improvements to various engine components that can handle different scenarios better than others (high temps, cold weather, cold starting, emissions, racing environment, etc.) but it's still being held together by the strength of the 9A1 design.

Motorsports marketing - 'drinking from the cool aid' - always works

By the way, the Metzger engine design followed the same pattern. My 1990's air-cooled 964 engine case # is the same as my 996 GT2 twin-turbo water-cooled motor case # - which is probably the same as my 997 GT3 RS case design - all Motorsports design first, right..
Old 05-29-2019, 05:25 AM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 144 Posts

2RS
Old 06-06-2019, 12:14 AM
HGM 10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are a guy who really likes to drive and enjoy a car because of its engine and trans you will keep the Touring, but if you like speed and thats your only goal and look like a 911 on steroids go ahead and keep the 2RS.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM
knasman
Instructor

Originally Posted by HGM 10
If you are a guy who really likes to drive and enjoy a car because of its engine and trans you will keep the Touring, but if you like speed and thats your only goal and look like a 911 on steroids go ahead and keep the 2RS.
I think that's an oversimplification, and doesn't do the GT2 RS justice.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Keep the Touring!

I know several people that have traded in a GT3 and got a 2RS, only to sell it in a very short time and went back to a GT3. The truth is, if you drive on the streets, you will never exploit the difference between the Touring and the 2RS, including canyon runs. You will have to be on a track to see a big difference. In the meantime, the 2RS will ride stiffer and be less forgiving everywhere.

I have two manual 991.2 GT3's, one being a Touring. I can get A 2RS at MSRP anytime. I would much rather have a manual with an NA 9K redline engine.

There will certainly be a new 2RS that will be faster in a few years. You can be sure of that. They may or may not ever make another Touring again. Look at the 992...they said they will make manuals and still have not even announced a date when they will make one.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:36 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
I know several people that have traded in a GT3 and got a 2RS, only to sell it in a very short time and went back to a GT3. The truth is, if you drive on the streets, you will never exploit the difference between the Touring and the 2RS, including canyon runs. You will have to be on a track to see a big difference. In the meantime, the 2RS will ride stiffer and be less forgiving everywhere.

I have two manual 991.2 GT3's, one being a Touring. I can get A 2RS at MSRP anytime. I would much rather have a manual with an NA 9K redline engine.

There will certainly be a new 2RS that will be faster in a few years. You can be sure of that. They may or may not ever make another Touring again. Look at the 992...they said they will make manuals and still have not even announced a date when they will make one.
very true
Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

main thing RS no matter which one !
RS is RS.

Quick Reply: Which one's a keeper?