Sponsored by:

Which one's a keeper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:32 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I"m in a similar boat, trying to decide which car to get rid of between a .2 3RS, Touring, or a McLaren 570S. Every time I take a car out, I say to myself this is the one I'm keeping. I'm totally screwed....
Easy answer is to sell both and get a GT2 RS. I had a 570S for 2 years and have a .2 3RS and .2 2RS at the moment, the 2RS is truly the first 911 deserving of the supercar title. It's just a whole different level than other 911s. I'll probably keep the 3RS for winter driving, but still not sure I won't get rid of it.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:22 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

GT2RS! IMHO it is the car you really want. Obviously any 911 is fun in its own way and certainly some more than others. Set aside future value and cost etc, it is still the option I would take. It is simply an epic car in every regard and there is not one sliver of doubt it carries that in its presence perfectly. I wager you will find it rewarding driving at 40mph too, because yes it is a GT2RS LOL. Enjoy!
Old 05-24-2019, 08:39 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts

Try a TTS....based on the OP analysis...it might be right for you down the road...
Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Buy the car that makes you smile more. They are all great. Yes, there is a pecking order in power and ultimate track times but unless your name is Pilet, Bamber or Makowiecki etc..the driver in the vast majority of DE days is the deciding factor on lap times and or tires.

They all all have things to offer.

2RS- most powerful 911 hands down...but its TT and it’s engine is not Motorsport derived and it’s not a homlogation car. On the street I can see it being a hoot with all that torque but you certainly can’t use all it’s performance on the street. At at minimum it’s least $100k more though. They can now be had at Msrp and likely below by mid or late summer especially lightly used. They made nearly as many as the 3RS.

TT- gorgeous and MT NA GT3. Under the radar. Perfect for the street and occasional track day. Engine is Motorsport derived and a 9000 rpm gem.

To some NA is more desirable. To some they want the Motorsport derived flat 6. To some it’s the 9000 rpm war cry. To some they want a car that is the homologation basis for a factory race car. To some they want the most powerful 911 and love turbos. To some it’s all about the MT. To some it’s all about no wing.

If you pick the car car that makes you happiest and based on your desires you made the right choice for you. You don’t need others opinions.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

Not a realistic question to answer given many have driven a 2rs and very few a speedster. I think answers are hypothetical until people have driven/owned both.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
To some they want the Motorsport derived flat 6..
As far as I know, the GT3/3RS engine is substantially common with only a cup car (spec series), but the GT3 R and RSR have significant internal and external upgrades to be motorsports-ready/competitive. Does derived mean same general architecture (NA 4.0 flat 6)?

The 2RS engine, while not used in competition yet (will be with CS version?), seems engineered to be as motorsports-ready as its NA counterpart.

I own both so I'm impartial, but I think it's misleading to say the GT2 RS engine is somehow less of an engine because Porsche doesn't currently use turbos in top level GT racing.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 Very well said
Originally Posted by GT3

I recently learned that I’m actually more addicted to the sounds of the engine and enjoyment of manual transmission than speed itself (but it does take a proper exhaust set up to fully appreciate). The GT2RS is king performance wise, but I also feel there will be many more high hp turbo options in the future like it and the 600LT, Pista, etc. I’ve driven the 600LT. Fast and light, but didn’t engage things I love about the GT3 or the ideal things I now look for in a sports car.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:02 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
I’m actually more addicted to the sounds of the engine and enjoyment of manual transmission than speed itself
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange
+1 Very well said
I'm with you guys.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:21 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Very curious to see where you end up OP since you are set on not keeping both

6MT + 4.0 NA 9K gets all the hype, rightfully so but I'm finding the turbo stuff to be as good if not better in some ways. YMMV
Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
As far as I know, the GT3/3RS engine is substantially common with only a cup car (spec series), but the GT3 R and RSR have significant internal and external upgrades to be motorsports-ready/competitive. Does derived mean same general architecture (NA 4.0 flat 6)?

The 2RS engine, while not used in competition yet (will be with CS version?), seems engineered to be as motorsports-ready as its NA counterpart.

I own both so I'm impartial, but I think it's misleading to say the GT2 RS engine is somehow less of an engine because Porsche doesn't currently use turbos in top level GT racing.
GT3 and 3 RS were developed in the Motorsport Division and yes basically a Cup motor.

2RS uses an off the shelf 3.8 as in the TT with some changes to handle massive torque The engine is not a Motorsport derived/developed engine. .

Motorsport derived lump is a box that I wanted checked. Also, while the are numerous mods in the RSR and R engine it is the same basic foundation as I understand and the 3RS is without question the homlogation basis for the RSR.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Very curious to see where you end up OP since you are set on not keeping both

6MT + 4.0 NA 9K gets all the hype, rightfully so but I'm finding the turbo stuff to be as good if not better in some ways. YMMV
Not 100% set on not keeping both. But if I end up preferring to drive the GT2 RS 95% of the time, then I think it's kind of pointless to keep the GT3. Taking a step back, they are both excellent Porsche GT cars, and while they are very different in some ways, in the grander scheme of things they are not THAT different. Hence if the GT3 isn't getting driven a whole lot, probably makes more sense to replace it with something entirely different.

+1 on the turbo stuff being as good, if not better!
Old 05-24-2019, 02:03 PM
knasman
Instructor

GT3 and 3 RS were developed in the Motorsport Division and yes basically a Cup motor.

2RS uses an off the shelf 3.8 as in the TT with some changes to handle massive torque The engine is not a Motorsport derived/developed engine. .

Motorsport derived lump is a box that I wanted checked. Also, while the are numerous mods in the RSR and R engine it is the same basic foundation as I understand and the 3RS is without question the homlogation basis for the RSR.
I hear what you're saying, but to me that's mostly snobbery. What matters is that the engine is rock solid and can take repeated beatings at track levels. The GT2 RS CS will help prove that. So far I've seen no evidence that the GT2 RS engine isn't 100% rock solid.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM
knasman
Instructor

+1, totally agree.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

2RS uses an off the shelf 3.8 as in the TT with some changes to handle massive torque The engine is not a Motorsport derived/developed engine.
Define "off the shelf" and what exactly are those changes? I think it's important to be specific since using such vague and generic terms may not do the engine (or its engineers) justice.

Also, are you saying the motorsport division had no hand in its development? What is the source of this assertion?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:41 PM
knasman
Instructor

Define "off the shelf" and what exactly are those changes? I think it's important to be specific since using such vague and generic terms may not do the engine (or its engineers) justice.

Also, are you saying the motorsport division had no hand in its development? What is the source of this assertion?
Pretty sure it's just the usual Waxer undying love for the GT3 (and RS), and hate on the GT2 RS.

Quick Reply: Which one's a keeper?