Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come McL and Ferrari have turbo V8s and weigh the same or less than a P GT car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,744 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Are you referring to the on average 100K ADM?

Meaning you need to pay 100k extra for the privilege of owning the car? This is exactly what I am talking about, and why Mac is stealing so many Porsche sales. Couple that with bland styling, and for 400K I'd say no thanks. And I do have the money.
Yes, but that doesn't make the 2RS "unobtanium"
Old 03-06-2019, 02:49 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

ADM is down. Saw one at $35k, a really nice PTS/LTS at $40k

On a percentage basis that is GT3 level ADM
Old 03-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
Are you referring to the on average 100K ADM?

Meaning you need to pay 100k extra for the privilege of owning the car? This is exactly what I am talking about, and why Mac is stealing so many Porsche sales. Couple that with bland styling, and for 400K I'd say no thanks. And I do have the money.
Yes you pay more to get into a GT2RS but you pay more to get out of a 720S.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Mind boggling that these threads always devolve into "my car rules and your car sucks". Is it not possible for Porsche to be great, and Mclaren to be great and Ferrari to be great? Why do people get so defensive and animated over car manufacturers? Its not like you own the company. If you did, I could understand the need to defend a certain brand. But last I checked, every single one of these manufacturers and dealers would bleed you dry if they had the chance to make money off you. Why the blind allegiance to any one brand?

Ive owned Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari and Mclaren as my high end toys. Currently have a Ferrari and Mclaren in the garage. Looking to get back into Porsche soon. And let me tell you, every single car depreciates. If you dont think so, ask the Porsche guys who paid 100k ADM for a .1 RS. Ask Ferrari owners what their FFs and Lusssos are worth. Hell, look at 488 values. Look at Porsche Turbo values a few years later. Anyone thinking depreciation is limited to Mclaren is kidding themselves.

All cars will depreciate except for a select few. Its not that anyone buying these things goes in with the attitude, that hey, I just cant wait to **** away a 100k on losses- They go in buying the car at a price they are comfortable with and knowing that there will be a loss at sale time. Ive given this example before buy I just booked one of my family vacations for the summer. About 35k total for about 5 days of fun. Thats money Ill never get back. Do I care? No. Its the cost of enjoyment. Every time I get into my Ferrari or my Mclaren, its a mini vacation for me. I bought my cars right, I know Ill lose some money. If I lose more, oh well, instead of worrying, Ill just make a better purchase but to try to not have any depreciation? good luck. And yes, that includes Porsche. Ask me how I did on my .1 RS after driving it a couple thousand miles. Yes- there is depreciation there.

Its one thing to talk about the merits of a car manufacturer, but that doesnt mean that you have to do it at the expense of another manufacturer. To me thats so childish and high school. I enjoy all cars. All of them have their merits. I hope to own many more of the various brands out there than I already have and never once did I think, man this car sucks because it cant go around the ring in less than 7 minutes. My RS gave me a ton of joy. My Touring gave me a ton of joy (for the unfortunate short time I owned it) my SLS gave me a ton of joy, my 488 has been priceless in terms of the pleasures its given and likewise Ive throughly enjoyed my 720 ownership which at the current moment has been the best car ive ever owned so far

I hope to be lucky enough to be able to enjoy many more cars from all manufacturers. I hope you all do the same and broaden your horizons.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:32 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
About 35k total for about 5 days of fun. Thats money Ill never get back. Do I care? No. Its the cost of enjoyment. Every time I get into my Ferrari or my Mclaren, its a mini vacation for me. I bought my cars right, I know Ill lose some money. If I lose more, oh well, instead of worrying, Ill just make a better purchase but to try to not have any depreciation? good luck. And yes, that includes Porsche. Ask me how I did on my .1 RS after driving it a couple thousand miles. Yes- there is depreciation there.
Exactly. It's interesting to watch successful, grown men bicker over how others choose to spend their money or not understand the difference between value and cost.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 581 Posts

Mind boggling that these threads always devolve into "my car rules and your car sucks". Is it not possible for Porsche to be great, and Mclaren to be great and Ferrari to be great? Why do people get so defensive and animated over car manufacturers? Its not like you own the company. If you did, I could understand the need to defend a certain brand. But last I checked, every single one of these manufacturers and dealers would bleed you dry if they had the chance to make money off you. Why the blind allegiance to any one brand?

Ive owned Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari and Mclaren as my high end toys. Currently have a Ferrari and Mclaren in the garage. Looking to get back into Porsche soon. And let me tell you, every single car depreciates. If you dont think so, ask the Porsche guys who paid 100k ADM for a .1 RS. Ask Ferrari owners what their FFs and Lusssos are worth. Hell, look at 488 values. Look at Porsche Turbo values a few years later. Anyone thinking depreciation is limited to Mclaren is kidding themselves.

All cars will depreciate except for a select few. Its not that anyone buying these things goes in with the attitude, that hey, I just cant wait to **** away a 100k on losses- They go in buying the car at a price they are comfortable with and knowing that there will be a loss at sale time. Ive given this example before buy I just booked one of my family vacations for the summer. About 35k total for about 5 days of fun. Thats money Ill never get back. Do I care? No. Its the cost of enjoyment. Every time I get into my Ferrari or my Mclaren, its a mini vacation for me. I bought my cars right, I know Ill lose some money. If I lose more, oh well, instead of worrying, Ill just make a better purchase but to try to not have any depreciation? good luck. And yes, that includes Porsche. Ask me how I did on my .1 RS after driving it a couple thousand miles. Yes- there is depreciation there.

Its one thing to talk about the merits of a car manufacturer, but that doesnt mean that you have to do it at the expense of another manufacturer. To me thats so childish and high school. I enjoy all cars. All of them have their merits. I hope to own many more of the various brands out there than I already have and never once did I think, man this car sucks because it cant go around the ring in less than 7 minutes. My RS gave me a ton of joy. My Touring gave me a ton of joy (for the unfortunate short time I owned it) my SLS gave me a ton of joy, my 488 has been priceless in terms of the pleasures its given and likewise Ive throughly enjoyed my 720 ownership which at the current moment has been the best car ive ever owned so far

I hope to be lucky enough to be able to enjoy many more cars from all manufacturers. I hope you all do the same and broaden your horizons.
Well said. Competition has made them all better. 10-12 years ago there was really Ferrari for high end super cars and Porsche for Carreras and the beginning of the GT3/2 range. I was a die hard Porsche guy (started with an 85 3.2) and couldnt afford to maintain Ferraris (remember 355's and 360's etc). Yes there was the 996 era but only the GT cars were really good and i had a 40th anni (so i know). Lambo's werent in the mix really and Mac's didnt exist. Now I ended up with a Perf (who knew) and lust more after a 600LT/720LT than any regular Porsche / Ferrari (outside of a Speciale or Pista). Plus Porsche went from strength to strength with their 997 GT3's a GT2's and 4.0's etc and carried momentum into the 991. So many choices now. Maybe almost too confusing. My eye is actually on a GT3 T next - to bring back the understated, manual, involving, simpler experience.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,269 Likes on 945 Posts

Performante is a sick beast! Almost bought one but my 6'4" frame would not fit. Love that car though!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
...................when you crash a McLaren, pieces go everywhere. The exterior CF pieces and super light fenders tend to splish splash around..................
CJ speaks the truth. Used to see this one daily until this happened:

Old 03-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Hex
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono

That's a bad one. I hope everyone is ok.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:04 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of you need to lighten up. Having a favorite car company and making fun of the others is no different than having a favorite sports team and making fun of your friends' teams. It's harmless banter. Go to a bar next to Wrigley Field and tell them they should enjoy watching the Cubs just as much as the Cardinals, and if they were true baseball fans they wouldn't cheer for one team over another.

Rennlist Person A: Go Patriots!
Rennlist Person B: Patriots suck. Go Rams!
Martin: F**king scalpers tried to sell me Super Bowl tickets for market prices! Good thing I have a 2012 4.0 in the garage. HaHa
Mooty: Futbale iz waste timme. Good foode, 2cycle and pretty woman iz what we need.
Whoopsy: I've got some inside info: Super Bowl 2020 will be in November this year.
ChicagoWhale: Win or lose, I'm sure Brady will guarantee Kraft has a happy ending.
Rennlist Person C: Hey moderators... ChicagoWhale is being offensive to Patriot's fans. Please ban him.
Yippiekiaye: This is bananas - why can't we all get along? You think those teams care about you? Did you know my 5 day vacation costs $35K, and I have BOTH a Ferrari and a McLaren?
Martin again: Anyone want to buy my Super Bowl tickets for $7,500? I conveniently decided I don't want them. HaHa
The following users liked this post:
MDMX997 (10-16-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 04:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,243 Likes on 610 Posts

All kinds of people crash, in all kinds of cars. The enzo that chopped down the telephone pole is still the king road car crash for me due to the massive distance separating the engine from the rest
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Some of you need to lighten up. Having a favorite car company and making fun of the others is no different than having a favorite sports team and making fun of your friends' teams. It's harmless banter. Go to a bar next to Wrigley Field and tell them they should enjoy watching the Cubs just as much as the Cardinals, and if they were true baseball fans they wouldn't cheer for one team over another.

Martin: F**king scalpers tried to sell me Super Bowl tickets for market prices! Good thing I have a 2012 4.0 in the garage. HaHa
Mooty: Futbale iz waste timme. Good foode, 2cycle and pretty woman iz what we need.
Whoopsy: I've got some inside info: Super Bowl 2020 will be in November this year.
ChicagoWhale: Win or lose, I'm sure Brady will guarantee Kraft has a happy ending.
Rennlist Person C: Hey moderators... ChicagoWhale is being offensive to Patriot's fans. Please ban him.
Yippiekiaye: This is bananas - why can't we all get along? You think those teams care about you? Did you know my 5 day vacation costs $35K, and I have BOTH a Ferrari and a McLaren?
Martin again: Anyone want to buy my Super Bowl tickets for $7,500? I conveniently decided I don't want them. HaHa
LOL
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale

LOL
Arent 4.0 2011's?

Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Kudos for Mac on the monocoque chassis....the car did exactly as it should....
Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex
That's a bad one. I hope everyone is ok.
Lotsa good parts left on that car.....

Quick Reply: How come McL and Ferrari have turbo V8s and weigh the same or less than a P GT car?