Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Gt3 Touring high frequency dash vibration (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1126181-gt3-touring-high-frequency-dash-vibration.html)

dmo0207 01-26-2019 09:28 PM

Gt3 Touring high frequency dash vibration

Hello All,
This occurs between 4k and 5k rpm, and has become fairly loud and annoying. It seems to be coming from the gauge cluster or nearby, and is a high frequency plasticky buzzing. Can't find the source. Does anyone else have this? Any solutions other than dealer delving into it? Thanks!

Gasman85 01-26-2019 09:37 PM

Check the rocker switch that controls the ac fan speed as well as the temperature ones. Mine would vibrate and rattle around 4K rpm

dmo0207 01-26-2019 09:39 PM

Thank you Gasman!

C.J. Ichiban 01-26-2019 09:39 PM

Rubber dash or leather?

dmo0207 01-26-2019 10:17 PM

Leather

1963SWC 01-26-2019 10:33 PM

The location doesn't seem correct for this but maybe check just in case- at about that same rpm range, one of the three buttons of my garage door opener (clipped on my visor) vibrates. It cannot be moving more than a tenth of a mm but it creates a very annoying buzz.
(I also do not use any keychains because of the buzz/vibration they create; to my ear, the thin single rings used by the dealer during a service visit are the worst)

dmo0207 01-26-2019 10:36 PM

Thank you for the ideas! No garage opener on my visor but will keep looking...

M3nomore 01-27-2019 12:50 AM

I’ve got a similar noise at the same rpm. Mine sounds more like a heat shield vibration and seems to go away after 20 minutes of driving. It’s a GT3, so likely just part of the experience. It’s a lot quieter than the single mass fly wheel you get with pdk on the winged version.

Jimmy-D 01-27-2019 05:40 AM

Check Passenger seat belt. If it is not over the shoulder on my Buckets it sort of vibrates while it hangs. Took me about 2 weeks to figure this out

Haku 01-27-2019 05:55 AM

Possible causes, based on experience and being very sensitive to niggly sounds
- keychains, these rattle monsters should never have anything more than a piece of string attached to it.

- sun visors in plastic have driven me crazy in the past with teeny high pitch vibration at certain rpm. Wedge something between it and liner. Good reason to go with alcantara.

- seat belts have tended to create rattles so check that there’s tension.

I hope you locate the the source of your irritating noise. Until then you have my sympathy.

dmo0207 01-27-2019 11:47 AM

Thank you guys! I will check those out. Happy motoring!

Marto 01-27-2019 01:16 PM

Cup holders too...

ssaa77 01-27-2019 01:19 PM

Mine is the smoking package lid. Annoying.

JPMD 01-27-2019 02:58 PM

I’m also hearing a buzzing sound at the same rpms under acceleration. Vehicle still under 500miles
will repost with update when I have more miles.
Leather dash.

Seems to buzz behind the info screen or the tunnel.

itsujack 01-27-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dmo0207 (Post 15595147)
Hello All,
This occurs between 4k and 5k rpm, and has become fairly loud and annoying. It seems to be coming from the gauge cluster or nearby, and is a high frequency plasticky buzzing. Can't find the source. Does anyone else have this? Any solutions other than dealer delving into it? Thanks!

Originally Posted by JPMD (Post 15596410)
I’m also hearing a buzzing sound at the same rpms under acceleration. Vehicle still under 500miles
will repost with update when I have more miles.
Leather dash.

Seems to buzz behind the info screen or the tunnel.

Subscribed! I have the same noise at same rpm. At first I thought it was something inside the sport chrono gauge vibrating but it could be behind the info screen or maybe even centre vents somewhere. FWIW I have Touring with leather partial dash, sport chrono, alcantara visors. Car has 2,500km and noise has always been there ever since I could take it over 4k after break-in period. Was going to ask dealer when it goes in for service in June, but I don't think I can wait that long... I'm going to take it out again this week and try to isolate it.

ssaa77 01-27-2019 06:06 PM

I'm curious if someone didn't have the smoking package and had the same symptoms. There's a lot of vibration through the center console/tunnel (below the gear lever) and I've found that if i hold the smoking package either down or up, it eliminates the vibration. I had the dealer check it out - they did something, unsure what - and the vibration occurs less. When it does, it seems like the actions I describe above get rid of it. I have a Touring with smoking package, leather everything and carbon trim.

Also had a bad squeaking coming from the seat near the inside lever to collapse the back forward. They replaced the lever and housing and it went away. That was very annoying, so glad they fixed it. The 4k-5k rpm rattle is more acceptable to me, but still annoying.

JPMD 01-27-2019 06:34 PM

Adding more information:

i also have smoking pkg.
no sport chrono

M3nomore 01-27-2019 06:40 PM

Smoking package, sport Chrono, leather. Carbon fiber

itsujack 01-27-2019 06:44 PM

Yes, I have smoking package too.

gt3touring 01-27-2019 06:54 PM

I feel like I might have this issue too on my Touring. I heard it a few times, especially around 3500-5000 rpm. It doesn't seem to always do it, but I too feel like it's coming from the center console or AC control area.

I have the smoking package and I thought it was my cigarette lighter cover thingy that I just throw in the slow below the cigarette outlet. I'll need to do a little more investigation to see.

dmo0207 01-27-2019 07:49 PM

I too have full leather, smoking package, brushed aluminum trim.

mig7410 01-27-2019 08:47 PM

When I took delivery of my 2018 GT3 it had a vibration noise also. After about two days I discovered it was coming from the keychain the dealership gave me.🤣

itsujack 03-16-2019 05:22 AM

Did anyone identify what this noise was? I've got ours going in early for its annual service next week so will be asking the dealer to take a look.

xp800man 03-16-2019 09:07 AM

I had the same vibration described in this thread. My '18 Touring has full leather, sport chrono, 18-way seats, and carbon fiber trim. When I applied downward pressure to the sport chrono clock, the vibration would go away. When the pressure was released, the vibration would return. I took the GT3 into the dealer at around 450 miles. They removed the middle section of the upper dash that included the sport chrono clock and found a missing clip. They replaced the missing clip and also put a small layer of felt around the edges of the piece before tacking back into place. The vibration is gone!

Agent_Orange 03-16-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1963SWC (Post 15595276)
The location doesn't seem correct for this but maybe check just in case- at about that same rpm range,

one of the three buttons of my garage door opener (clipped on my visor) vibrates. It cannot be moving more than a tenth of a mm but it creates a very annoying buzz.(I also do not use any keychains because of the buzz/vibration they create; to my ear, the thin single rings used by the dealer during a service visit are the worst)

The GT3 has homelink built in, no need for a remote on the visor

KINGSRULE 03-16-2019 04:13 PM

Check the door panel in area by side view mirror....

docjohnM 03-16-2019 04:22 PM

Often it is a keychain...

But, Mine was the rear view mirror. I gave it a squeeze and the vibration noise went away. Almost like the plastic was not fully clipped.

urban2k 03-16-2019 08:59 PM

Had something similar on my 15’ GT3: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...lly-fixed.html

itsujack 03-21-2019 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by urban2k (Post 15708799)
Had something similar on my 15’ GT3: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...lly-fixed.html

Thanks very much for the link, very helpful, I think this is what I have, although...

So, I took the car into the dealer this week for service and to identify this noise. Get a call saying they've taken it out, can't hear anything... I go in, take a ride with the service manager and of course the sound is gone! I swear this vibration noise was there every single time I took the car past 5k rpm and yet now that its at the dealer, not even a peep. :confused: I drove it home today and no noise at all... so for now its gone, we'll see if it comes back again, but so far its a bloody mystery???

tonymission 03-21-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by xp800man (Post 15707581)
I had the same vibration described in this thread. My '18 Touring has full leather, sport chrono, 18-way seats, and carbon fiber trim. When I applied downward pressure to the sport chrono clock, the vibration would go away. When the pressure was released, the vibration would return. I took the GT3 into the dealer at around 450 miles. They removed the middle section of the upper dash that included the sport chrono clock and found a missing clip. They replaced the missing clip and also put a small layer of felt around the edges of the piece before tacking back into place. The vibration is gone!

Interesting. My rattle was more pronounced when I had my exhaust valves unplugged and always open. I plugged them back in and it got a lot better but it's definitely coming from the sport chrono area although it seems to shift around a little bit. Sometimes it's not there at all.. was driving me nuts. I do not have the smoking package, but have full leather, LWBS, CF trim, etc.

PorscheFrank 03-21-2019 01:50 PM

I had a very similar buzzing issue in my dash since delivery in November. would come on around 4k rpm. Sometimes it was worse than other times. I thought maybe ambient temperature had something to do with how loud the buzzing was (seemed to buzz louder when it wasn't so cold outside). Anyway I brought it to the dealer and to my surprise they were able to identify and fix the issue. It was something to do with the AC control unit. I'll check the dealer print out when I get home and get back to you. Anyhow they replaced that part and the sound completely went away.

tonymission 03-21-2019 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank (Post 15718939)
I had a very similar buzzing issue in my dash since delivery in November. would come on around 4k rpm. Sometimes it was worse than other times. I thought maybe ambient temperature had something to do with how loud the buzzing was (seemed to buzz louder when it wasn't so cold outside). Anyway I brought it to the dealer and to my surprise they were able to identify and fix the issue. It was something to do with the AC control unit. I'll check the dealer print out when I get home and get back to you. Anyhow they replaced that part and the sound completely went away.

Thanks, please do! This thread is such a relief to me, now I can keep the car! LOL

Soul Performance 03-21-2019 04:06 PM

I have also experienced two 991.1 GT3s with the dash vibration. I could press on the AC control unit and make it go away, neither of the owners could hear it so it was never properly diagnosed and resolved.

- John Gaydos

tonymission 03-29-2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank (Post 15718939)

Any update here? I'd love to know exactly what they did so I can take it to my dealer and they won't look at me sideways.

PorscheFrank 04-01-2019 10:11 PM

Just to close the loop on this here is the report from my dealer.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...533e784711.jpg

JAM2 04-01-2019 10:26 PM

I think my vibration is coming from the center console. I do have change in the center which I should probably remove to pinpoint the location better.

itsujack 05-13-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PorscheFrank (Post 15744709)
Just to close the loop on this here is the report from my dealer.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...533e784711.jpg

Thank you for posting this. My noise is back and the weather is getting cooler here in Sydney so would align with your previous notes. I'll be taking it back to the dealer together with a printout of your issue and see what happens.

DrKid 05-13-2019 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by JAM2 (Post 15744732)
I think my vibration is coming from the center console. I do have change in the center which I should probably remove to pinpoint the location better.

My car is going to the dealer tomorrow - AC Fan speed rocker switch vibration was located - finger pressure on rocker switch stops vibration... just to add another data point as random vibrations drive me crazy

DrKid 05-15-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DrKid (Post 15838701)
My car is going to the dealer tomorrow - AC Fan speed rocker switch vibration was located - finger pressure on rocker switch stops vibration... just to add another data point as random vibrations drive me crazy

As a follow up - dealer replacing A/C Control Unit to resolve vibration. So we are not crazy...seems to be an issue across a few cars.

kyrocks 05-15-2019 08:03 PM

It is more pronounced with a louder after market exhaust too.

DrKid 05-15-2019 08:11 PM

Probably true - noticed it more after installing the JCR Side Muffler Bypass - hope replacement corrects

joerg65 05-15-2019 08:20 PM

I had this happen twice. Once was caused by a garage door fob I had stuck to my centre console - the small ring that you use to connect it to a key chain was vibrating. The second time it was the mount for my dash cam just below my rear vision mirror - this vibration came and went depending on the temperature. Both sounded like the sound was coming from the dash. The point is that it’s very likely the vibration may not actually be originating from the dash.

DrKid 05-15-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by joerg65 (Post 15843325)
I had this happen twice. Once was caused by a garage door fob I had stuck to my centre console - the small ring that you use to connect it to a key chain was vibrating. The second time it was the mount for my dash cam just below my rear vision mirror - this vibration came and went depending on the temperature. Both sounded like the sound was coming from the dash. The point is that it’s very likely the vibration may not actually be originating from the dash.

Was localized to Air Conditioning Volume control rocker switch.
1. Removed EVERYTHING from car - garage clicker, radar detector, glove box contents, front trunk contents, verified no change under seat etc.
2. Sound was 100% eradicated if finger resting on air conditioning volume control rocker switch.
3. Confirmed by dealer

but yes, I have had noises that have been hard to track down in the past - thus the thorough go through before giving to dealer

dmo0207 05-15-2019 10:00 PM

I determined that the AC control unit is the source in my car as well. I need to put fingers on all the toggles to make it stop when it occurs around 5,000 RPM. I'm wondering if replacing that whole unit will fix it long term given the vibrations transmitted through the tunnel?

itsujack 12-15-2019 01:25 AM

Result... Finally!

Wanted to add another data point for anyone else with this issue. I was 99.9% sure I had the same issue as others with the AC control unit. I even removed it and ran the car to check... noise gone. But, I swear there is some sort of invisible force field within 5km of my dealer because I've had a tech out with me on three separate occasions over the course of a year and the noise miraculously would not present itself at 5k each time. Yet driving back home by myself it's back! wtf. :banghead:

I've made a video of it, which the dealer had seen/heard however they say they need to hear it themselves before Porsche will warranty a replacement, fair enough. So I decided to leave it with them a few days and yesterday got a call saying that they hear it loud and clear! Replacement unit finally ordered under warranty from Germany. Can't wait for some 9k runs without the accompanying AC unit ringing melody.

marchitect 12-08-2020 04:17 PM

I just posted a related post. I'm on my 2nd Climate Control unit as the dealer replaced it once already. The vibration in question (for me) is namely the fan control switch but other buttons in the same control unit also contribute to the buzzing - rattling sound. Since this is an inherent issue (defect) with the Climate Control unit. I requested any info on how to dissemble the control unit to add some additional dampening material at the switch locations. FWIW, my dealer replaced Climate Control unit "seemed" to resolve the issue for about 3 months but it's back and I know a replacement unit will not provide a long term solution. The only solution I see is to get instructions on how to disassemble the Climate Control unit and get to the source of the issue. Any information on unit disassembly would be greatly appreciated.

marchitect 12-08-2020 04:21 PM

Any solutions to this issue?

Originally Posted by Gasman85 (Post 15595167)
Check the rocker switch that controls the ac fan speed as well as the temperature ones. Mine would vibrate and rattle around 4K rpm

Yes, that's the issue. Did you find a resolve to this issue? Thanks

usrodeo4 12-08-2020 04:42 PM

Holy Mackerel...all I want for Christmas is for my GT car to stay rattle free :)

stumil 12-12-2020 03:43 PM

This thread helped me identify the source of the vibration in my 2019 GT3 Touring which is most pronounced from about 3500rpm to 5500rpm. As many have written, it's the climate control module just under the PCM. Today, when I applied pressure with one finger to the bar at the top of the climate control module (it doesn't take a lot of pressure), the vibration stops. The end of my pen in the attached photo points to the spot to apply pressure to. Knowing the source of the vibration (and how to stop it) should help my dealer take the problem seriously, and hopefully rectify it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks to those who have posted regarding the source of the vibration - it's a big help!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...285698ec3f.jpg

PhoenixINX 12-14-2020 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by stumil (Post 17088299)
This thread helped me identify the source of the vibration in my 2019 GT3 Touring which is most pronounced from about 3500rpm to 5500rpm. As many have written, it's the climate control module just under the PCM. Today, when I applied pressure with one finger to the bar at the top of the climate control module (it doesn't take a lot of pressure), the vibration stops. The end of my pen in the attached photo points to the spot to apply pressure to. Knowing the source of the vibration (and how to stop it) should help my dealer take the problem seriously, and hopefully rectify it. Will keep you posted.

Thanks to those who have posted regarding the source of the vibration - it's a big help!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...285698ec3f.jpg

Wish I had checked this thread earlier...

Was out this weekend and with the cooler temps I had the windows up, grinding my teeth to this vibration while rowing through the gear. Had almost forgotten about it, since with the windows down I never hear it.

3-Pedals 12-14-2020 09:27 PM

This engine has certain harmonic characteristics that will unfortunately make these buzzing noises a common occurrence. I really think there are two options here:

- Make the exhaust louder which will mask these issues to some extent (but there might be new ones if you get an exhaust that drones)

- Install sound deadening in the cabin which will address this issue for good but it adds weight and removes the character

marchitect 12-27-2020 11:40 PM

991 Climate Control Unit No More Buzzing - Rattles - Solved !

Here's a link to the solution. Including PDF instructions and YouTube videos. It's easy and makes a HUGE difference !!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1226...e-buzzing.html

TheTrackDude 12-17-2023 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by marchitect (Post 17122649)
Here's a link to the solution. Including PDF instructions and YouTube videos. It's easy and makes a HUGE difference !!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1226...e-buzzing.html

Thanks for posting this, saved offline. After giving launch control a try for the first time yesterday (new to me/last six months, 991.2 GT3), I have some interior vibrations (resonance based, certain rpms, and location seems right). Hoping this is it/fixed them.

-Ben

sunspot2013 12-17-2023 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by TheTrackDude (Post 19170868)
Thanks for posting this, saved offline. After giving launch control a try for the first time yesterday (new to me/last six months, 991.2 GT3), I have some interior vibrations (resonance based, certain rpms, and location seems right). Hoping this is it/fixed them.

-Ben

I have found these threads invaluable in identifying and eliminating the few rattles/vibrations in my GT3T that like you only occurred within certain RPM ranges. I also found this to be very useful:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...roblem%20spots.

All but one of my issues were solved by using this CD, which is much easier than having to test drive the car/have a passenger pressing on things etc..