Sponsored by:

Chris Harris crashes his GT3T

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think you are misunderstanding the cause of the accident and the reason he drives without the nannies. I don't suspect that the systems could have helped here nor that CH will (or needs to) adjust his driving preferences based on this.
Agree. If one is a good enough driver, nannies don’t help. The only nannies that could help is the automatic breaking systems that can react faster than a human, but I’m. It sure Porsche has that feature on this car?

And yes, Chris is probably a good enough driver where nannies don’t help.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:05 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
point one where you can see another car. All were closed, forensics already said that it was neither his fault neither he was speeding, it's mid corner in the winter in England, on a rwd car, you are bound to not go fast, sideways maybe, but not fast.
the only problem he has now is a new touring.
He is also paid to drive in an entertaining way or no one would watch, working for the BBC you can be sure all these stunts were under close supervision.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Agree. If one is a good enough driver, nannies don’t help. The only nannies that could help is the automatic breaking systems that can react faster than a human, but I’m sure Porsche has that feature on this car?
Yes, ABS cannot be disabled
Old 11-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Yes, ABS cannot be disabled
Right, but I was also talking about automatic braking systems, not just anti-lock braking systems.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Right, but I was also talking about automatic braking systems, not just anti-lock braking systems.
I'm not sure I understand the system to which you're referring. Some cars (usually expensive luxury sedans) have radar detection of obstacles and apply the brakes without driver input. GT3 does not have this. Is this what you meant?

Old 11-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure I understand the system to which you're referring. Some cars (usually expensive luxury sedans) have radar detection of obstacles and apply the brakes without driver input. GT3 does not have this. Is this what you meant?
Right
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Just like I thought, he encountered the truck after a blind corner. Not much he could have done. I'll say this, given his driving experience, I'd trust being in a car with Chris over 90% of drivers out on the road today! Just because he drifts cars on a track/circuit does not mean he does so on public roads...jeez!!
He ran into another vehicle - he was going to fast in the conditions and was unable to stop.

Lucky he didn't kill someone.

The guy in the truck will simply report he was doing a legal turn and that the driver of the Porsche failed to stop in time. Guaranteed open and shut.

Harris drives like a pratt on British public roads - there are endless YouTube videos that attest to this. I'm surprised a number of the British you tube testers and EVO in particular haven't been hauled up.

Last edited by groundhog; 11-14-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Well, Porsche does have a system that senses the speed at which you release and get off the throttle, and then starts to pre-close the calipers.

Last edited by LexVan; 11-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

He ran into another vehicle - he was going to fast in the conditions and was unable to stop.

The guy in the truck will simply report he was doing a legal turn and that the driver of the Porsche failed to stop in time. Guaranteed open and shut.

Harris drives like a pratt on British public roads - there are endless YouTube videos that attest to this. I'm surprised a number of the British you tube testers and EVO in particular haven't been hauled up.
links to any recent videos?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, Porsche does have a system that senses the speed at what you release and get off the throttle, and then starts to pre-close the calipers.
Okay that is pretty cool.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems all the pertinent questions were asked except one:

Was the strut tower cherry popped?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

Or, far more likely, the truck driver was making an illegal three point turn and Harris is in the right. Anyone who drives in the mountains around here has come up upon an idiot making a k turn mid corner or just at the exit of a corner. It’s pretty likely based on what’s been disclosed so far that the truck driver made an illegal turn too close to a corner.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Or, far more likely, the truck driver was making an illegal three point turn and Harris is in the right. Anyone who drives in the mountains around here has come up upon an idiot making a k turn mid corner or just at the exit of a corner. It’s pretty likely based on what’s been disclosed so far that the truck driver made an illegal turn too close to a corner.
I thought that was obvious.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:57 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

why not slow down when you dont have full visibility ahead of you?

If rather than a truckman was a teenager on his first time bike??

Anyone that drives on the street without being able to stop the car in time is an idiot not aware of his limits

we have tracks for that kind of driving
Old 11-15-2018, 01:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Glad he is OK. Hope it never goes to court. There are tons of videos of him driving like a total douche that wouldn't help his case at all!!
Absolutely, and a three point turn is entirely legal - failing to stop and hitting a vehicle on a public road is driving without due care and attention.

It's pretty straight forward - in a place like wales you have to anticipate e.g. sheep, cattle, tractors, cyclists, hikers, caravans, people turning to execute a three point turn. The safety systems are immaterial if you're driving too quickly for the conditions and the type of traffic a road carries.

All I can say is, lucky for him it wasn't a cyclist or a hiker.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris crashes his GT3T