Sponsored by:

Montoya's European Delivery Blog

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Now your choice is to do it immediately after delivery like I am doing. I don't like that I can't get anything fixed that might go wrong with the installation when I get home, but at the same time I'm protected for my ED.
Did you schedule the Xpel through Porsche's recommended installer, or did you have to find one?

Also, do you have a part number on the Rimowa? Where did you get it?

Last edited by C5driver; 09-26-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Fantastic trip - thanks for the write-up!

Re run-in - it is very strange but in the manual provided in mine (and of course other EU GT3:s) the running in is defined as 3000km below 4000rpm... @Porsche: which is it?
I think the info in the manual I posted is the 'official' answer. Everything else is just other countries Porsche organization (like PCNA in USA) making sure they don't legally get themselves in trouble. It has nothing to do with an engineering answer and more to do with liability. For example in the US, I'm sure they don't even want to state in the owners manual that the car revs to 9,000 RPM because doing so would be well.. dangerous and might involve illegal speeds, LOL.

Originally Posted by RBH
What an awesome trip! Are you visiting the Netherlands as well? (Let me know!)
Unfortunately no, maybe on the next one!

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Great write up and photos. If I was ever to get PTS, then Pastel Orange would definitely be in my top three colours to choose from.

For those of you considering an ED, there is one absolute rule with regards to doing these passes, and that is...you have to do it very early or late in the day. And by early, I mean you have to be hitting the road by 7am or waiting until after 6pm if you want the best conditions. Anything in between is very frustrating.

I remember when we were in Corvara to drive the Sella Rond, we got up at 6:30am and hit the road by 7am before breakfast. We had a fantastic clear road and were back at the hotel by 8:30am. It made for a fun, animated breakfast as we chatted and laughed about the drive. Then very late in the day, we went out and did the drive again... in the opposite direction before dinner. Almost no cars. Needless to say dinner was again fun!
Thanks, I think Pastel Orange is special too!. Just to clarify, since I'm in off season and traveling mid week there was little to no traffic on everything but the Stelvio pass. It's just that there is tremendous risk going high speed through blind corners. Even if I did it very early in the morning, there is still a chance to meet someone doing the same around a blind curve and there is no doubt that would be an accident. Visibility is everything, and of the passes I've done, only Grossglockner pass has full visibility up and down to drive at maximum speed safely. Of course, when I did Grossglockner there was almost no traffic since the rain earlier in the day kept everyone away.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
My Owners Manual in Belgium is the same as Montoya.
Again, our USA manual is different than the one they give you when delivering in Leipzig, I'm taking it with me because I'm sure they will change it in the USA.

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Thanks for info, Chris. I thought it was the same across EU, since I know for a fact that the Swedish ones state the same (<4000rpm for 3000km). Very odd.
Yes, see my thoughts above.

Originally Posted by C5driver
Thanks for sharing! We are hoping to to the Gotthard Pass, from Zurich to Como for our ED, but depending on the delivery date (November 2018 or Jan/Feb 2019), that may not be an option!
Did you schedule the Xpel through Porsche's recommended installer, or did you have to find one?

Also, do you have a part number on the Rimowa? Where did you get it?
Thanks! I used a local Xpel dealer in Leipzig, Porsche doesn't offer it pre delivery, although they did for a while. Scroll up and you will see my posts about Creasigns who did the install.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

No driving of consequence yesterday, although we did drive the car to a lift, where we left it for 6 hours in a gravel parking lot (gulp!) as we went on an epic hike across a ridge line with wonderful views of the Eiger and Jungfrau as well as the pastoral Swiss countryside. Took a bus back to the car when we ended the hike- everything was fine (we are in Switzerland!). Here's some highlights:

Another perfect day weather wise!

Today we head to Provence- the weather continues to be perfect so we will take a side trip to Lauterbrunnen for better views of the Eiger and Jungfrau.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:13 AM
2016RS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just thought I would add a "missing picture".

Nice meeting you.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2018, 08:26 AM
2016RS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016RS
Just thought I would add a "missing picture".

Nice meeting you.

Cheers

mine was S 96J
Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh that was you who sneaked in the photo :-) The instructor was confused as he counted one car to much for our track time... nice car indeed!
Old 09-27-2018, 12:48 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats, the color is stunning and the LO stitching sets it off perfectly.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2016RS
mine was S 96J
Nice photo! Your car looks stunning in chalk with the Weissach package. Sequential tourist plates too, very cool.

Originally Posted by beoliving
Oh that was you who sneaked in the photo :-) The instructor was confused as he counted one car to much for our track time... nice car indeed!
Haha! That was some group shot, we even had some of the Porsche employees taking pictures!

Originally Posted by rsierra
Congrats, the color is stunning and the LO stitching sets it off perfectly.
Thank-you! I like how it turned out.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Lot's of driving today- 7 1/2 hours. We did an early detour to Lauterbrunnen and had lunch. Then 6 hours to Provence and our hotel. Lot's of the drive was in France where the higher speed limit on the Autoroute (over Switzerland) was welcome, but the new lower 80 kph limit on secondary roads was not! Also though Waze we were notified that one stretch of the Autoroute was subject to a max average speed fine (uh, oh!). I think we were OK but some stretches we ummm were driving a little over. The car is very comfortable for the long drives and with the 90 liter tank we have fantastic range, especially on a day like today where we averaged 22 mpg over 600+ kilometers. Here are the shots for the day:

Really the Porsche Rimowa luggage is in there!

Need to pack lighter next time!

I should have taken a picture of all the people taking a picture of our car after we parked here! It literally drew a crowd, pretty amazing considering the natural beauty all around!

I need one of these, just because!

We bought bread, cheese and meat and looked at this view while we ate lunch on a park bench- wow, I'm going to miss Switzerland.

80 kph for a couple of hours was painful- that's 50 mph on roads where 70 mph would be safe.

600+ kilometers later and 71/2 hours driving we made it in time for dinner! Cheers everyone.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:21 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! Enjoy looking at my photos at the end of each day and finding the ones I think are best or will be of interest.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:34 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

this is pretty cool. Looks like you are having a blast. enjoy.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:40 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Default Chillin' in Provence

We had a slow day in Provence- not much driving, visited the Citadel in Sisteron which has a long history, including allowing Napoleon to pass on his return from Elba. Big change from the green and rugged scenery of the Alps, a little bit of an adjustment, think rustic Northern California and you won't be far off...

So pics for the day:

My car care kit- 10 MF towels, speed shine, car clean and a duster. Everyday it gets a touchup before we go...

Clean and ready for the day.

Parking has been a little stressful in most places we have visited. In Sisteron the parking in the Center was very tight, so we parked about .5 a mile away where it was not so crowded.

The Citadel.

View from the top

Car was still where we left it!!

Chilled at hotel pool...

Dinner- those aren't green beans! They were swimming this morning...

Old 09-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

What a great adventure.

Just stay away from the M&M's.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:59 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wmond
this is pretty cool. Looks like you are having a blast. enjoy.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jamie140
What a great adventure.

Just stay away from the M&M's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF-Nlvvy_NA
Bwahahahaha! No eating in the car!

Quick Reply: Montoya's European Delivery Blog