Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Montoya's European Delivery Blog

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Andre! What a fantastic experience.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Scenery looks awesome. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

Our route- took us about 6 hours with a stop for dinner and purchase of the Austrian Vignette (sticker). Definitely need it now as they have a checkpoint at the border. Five years ago with BMW I forgot about it and never bought one. Big fine if caught without and also claim to pick it up on cameras- great. BTW Austria speed limits are low! 100kph on the highway last night...after autobahn I felt like I was walking!

Love the hotel picture! You're right, the highway speed limits are low, but the back roads are in great shape and truly amazing. Too bad you didn't take the Passua/Wel option above. You would have pasted where I was born. I was there last year with my son, and we laughed at the back road speed limits given all the curves. In some cases I couldn't even do the permitted speed without the tires in VW Golf rental squealing like crazy. Take as many back roads as you can. Awesome trip, thanks for sharing. Prost!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:52 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, awesome ED trip!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:57 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Congrats on car. Looks ace.
Liking the history elements to this thread, too. ��

Just landed Amsterdam, heading: Zuffenhausen.
Originally Posted by 80s
Montoya, wow keep posting!

Great car and colour!

Can we please have a picture of the luggage you bought??

Not mine (mine is open and a mess at the moment, LOL!)- but this is it. 550 Euros, it's a rolling cube and holds easily for me a weeks worth of clothes, extra shoes and other 'stuff'. Fits just perfect in the frunk, worth it for that alone, but it is a really good piece and super high quality. Big enough for two people for a long weekend.

Originally Posted by dawgdog
Congratulations Andre! What a fantastic experience.
More to come!

Originally Posted by robmypro
Scenery looks awesome. Thanks for posting!
Today was awesome!
Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Love the hotel picture! You're right, the highway speed limits are low, but the back roads are in great shape and truly amazing. Too bad you didn't take the Passua/Wel option above. You would have pasted where I was born. I was there last year with my son, and we laughed at the back road speed limits given all the curves. In some cases I couldn't even do the permitted speed without the tires in VW Golf rental squealing like crazy. Take as many back roads as you can. Awesome trip, thanks for sharing. Prost!
You are right, once in the mountains the limits are way high in spots!

Originally Posted by masti99
Congrats, awesome ED trip!
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

Great fun!

Was just on those roads for 2 weeks.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Default Gmund and the Porsche Museum

Today we drove to Gmund to visit the site of the first Porsche factory. There is a small museum there and it's definitely worth the visit if you are anywhere near the area.

First did a little detailing- bugs can't stay off this color, LOL!

Here's another look at the interior deviated stitching- I think it came out awesome even though it's Lava Orange you don't notice.

Route mapped on Google with Apple Car play! So awesome, here's a shot of the Satellite view:

Our route for the day:

The drive to Gmund was fun, we went through a few ski areas and some nice twisty bits- traffic on a mid day weekday was still an issue. The roads we took are favorites of motorcyclists and some were very aggressive, passing on blind curves, etc. We survived although I would think some will have a short life expectancy...

The scenery was spectacular, really pastoral with beautiful villages, valleys and mountains. We passed through the Katschberg Tunnel which is 3.5 miles long, pretty cool you go right underneath a ski resort (thanks to google maps!).

When we arrived at the Porsche Museum in Gmund where we were warmly greeted:

This is Otto Kar (sic?)- and his 77th Porsche which is a Gelbgrun 911R! A one of one he claims. Otto is a European snowbird by his own admission and winters in Florida- maybe some Rennlisters know him?

Oh right! There is the museum too! As I said, small but quaint and it has some cool cars and exhibits:

I swear this is Pastel Orange!!

Luke, I am your father...

Suzanne's favorite- she always likes the most expensive 356 in a crowd!

We ended our visit to Gmund with a stop at Ferdinand Porsche Park, where this monument to Ferdinand was placed one year after his death in 1951:

As we were leaving and taking pictures of Otto's car, somebody pointed out that there was another Gelbgrun GT3 behind the museum! Must be in the water in Austria! This is Gunthar's car (he's now on my list!):

All in all a great day! We had another great ride in the GT3 back to our Hotel in time for a nice relaxing beer on the patio by the pool:
Old 09-21-2018, 06:38 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Great fun!

Was just on those roads for 2 weeks.

Wow! You got me beat! But we both have some work to do to beat one of my new found German friends! Here's his terminal velocity on the drive to Leipzig:

Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Blue Flame
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Great car, pics and story...perfect.

Just a short advise - please place the original number plate on your way back to Germany on your car.

With this fake sticker you are guilty of „documents fake“ in Germany, with very, very expensive fines.

The problem is, the sticker fakes the official German seal.

Have fun on the rest of your trip.

Blueflame

Old 09-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Wow! You got me beat! But we both have some work to do to beat one of my new found German friends! Here's his terminal velocity on the drive to Leipzig:

Yikes!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

where will you drop her off? if in Stuttgart take a cab to the Motorworld then walk to the S-bahn, the cool guy who runs the drop off will tell you how
Old 09-22-2018, 02:00 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dark knight
where will you drop her off? if in Stuttgart take a cab to the Motorworld then walk to the S-bahn, the cool guy who runs the drop off will tell you how
Yes Stuttgart, although we are probably not doing anything in Stuttgart- we drive all day to get there on Sunday from Provence and leave the next morning. I had planned on a day there at least, but Suzanne really wanted to experience Provence and take a cooking class- I'm in no position not to indulge her!

Originally Posted by Blue Flame
Great car, pics and story...perfect.

Just a short advise - please place the original number plate on your way back to Germany on your car.

With this fake sticker you are guilty of „documents fake“ in Germany, with very, very expensive fines.

The problem is, the sticker fakes the official German seal.

Have fun on the rest of your trip.

Blueflame

Thanks for the advice- I don't think we go back to Germany until our drop off a week from Sunday.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:07 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

remember most of the stores are closed on sundays, but the Porsche and Mercedes Museums are open!
Old 09-22-2018, 05:05 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dark knight
remember most of the stores are closed on sundays, but the Porsche and Mercedes Museums are open!
Good point! We will see if we have time!

Not much happening car wise today, took a hike that was really fun right here in Gosau where we are staying. The hike up to Hinterel Gosausee is really spectacular- just like hiking up the Tea House at Lake Louise. 700ft elevation gain and a 8 mile hike, we needed the calorie burn after splurging on pastries, LOL. Afterwards we drove to Bad Ischl for some window shopping (all the stores were closed by the time we got there!). We were holding our breaths a couple of times through the narrow city streets when trucks and bigger cars just come barging through, yikes! I don't see how a wider car would fit, so you guys picking up an RS or GT2RS may want to recon your drives ahead of time! I did set the car personality settings to my preferences and found out through reading the manual that you can display elevation on the main info screen which was a nice surprise. I am constantly curious to my current elevation when driving through mountains.

Random pics from the day:

Not your normal car found in a trail head parking lot!

Unobtainium found in Bad Ischl

M Sport manual BMW wagon- still miss my old one!

Night, Night...(lumbar support pillows we bought at a gas stop in Germany- they work great!)

Old 09-22-2018, 07:07 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome trip

Quick Reply: Montoya's European Delivery Blog