Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future 911 range, including the GT3, will exclusively use turbocharged six-cylind

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Both of you are saying that there is no lag compared to other brands but there is not the same response as NA. Where I live (high altitude), the lag of the 488 (if you agree there is "any") would be magnified due to the reduced static compression before building boost. If I could detect None, I would be shocked!
I don’t think I said Ferrari eliminated lag in the 488, just that it drives differently than the 458.

Lets face it, a FI car will always drive differently than a NA one. It’s nature of things.

Some FI cars will drive differently (or more like a NA one) than others but at the end of the day it’s still a FI engine.

Whether you want to call that “turbo lag” or just the character of a FI engine may ultimately be just a case of semantics, but I know this much. Having driven a 488 the variability in boost across the rev range did not bother me at all, and it was not noticeable in the least.

Does it mean it had no lag? No, of course not. But it does mean it had no noticeable lag.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Does it mean it had no lag? No, of course not. But it does mean it had no noticeable lag.

I used the term “no perceptible lag” in my post. It’s not a NA engine. But it’s as close to one as you can get with two turbos.

good post and I agree with your assessment.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'd prefer to rely on my own experience also (but haven't had the opportunity). However, I don't believe Ferrari have eliminated turbo lag (willing to be proven wrong with experience).

Im not here to prove you wrong. I’m just telling after two years of ownership my experience with the car. Both ipse and I are telling you the same thing. The video is bogus. Go and drive a 488. You will enjoy the experience.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts

I am willing to declare NO LAG, if I can perceive None (not worried about any degree of lag that I cannot detect from driving).
Old 08-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

I am willing to declare NO LAG, if I can perceive None (not worried about any degree of lag that I cannot detect from driving).
You have an owner and someone with a lot of of time behind the wheel of the car telling you how it drives. It’s not a contest and no one is trying to convince you otherwise. Just telling what the car actually drives like.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye

You have an owner and someone with a lot of of time behind the wheel of the car telling you how it drives. It’s not a contest and no one is trying to convince you otherwise. Just telling what the car actually drives like.

Any experience above 5,000 ft elevation? I drive between 5k and 14k (rarely, but frequently over 8k). The thin air makes a turbo motor both more valuable (makes much more power/tq than an equivalently rate NA motor) and makes the lag much worse.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Any experience above 5,000 ft elevation? I drive between 5k and 14k (rarely, but frequently over 8k).
yes. Flagstaff Arizona.

Stop beating the dead horse.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Looks like Motor1 is on the otherside

"Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser, Porsche Vice President of Motorsport and GT Cars, says that the next GT3 retains a naturally aspirated engine. Rumors suggest an updated engine could have an astronomical 9,500-rpm redline.

The latest Porsche 911 RSR made the revolutionary switch to using a mid-mounted engine instead of the model's venerable layout of putting the powerplant in the rear. This change has led to a few customers to ask the company for a road-going version. GT car development boss Andreas Preuninger says there's at least a chance of this vehicle going into production"

https://www.motor1.com/news/261091/porsche-911-everything-we-know/
Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,024 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz

"Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser, Porsche Vice President of Motorsport and GT Cars, says that the next GT3 retains a naturally aspirated engine. Rumors suggest an updated engine could have an astronomical 9,500-rpm redline.

The latest Porsche 911 RSR made the revolutionary switch to using a mid-mounted engine instead of the model's venerable layout of putting the powerplant in the rear. This change has led to a few customers to ask the company for a road-going version. GT car development boss Andreas Preuninger says there's at least a chance of this vehicle going into production"

https://www.motor1.com/news/261091/p...thing-we-know/
Like I've said before, lots of those people that are "in the know" like Dr. Walliser say things that come out as fact when what they are really saying is what they want or hope to be the case. This doesn't make them a liar, or even necessarily wrong, but it's just so hard to predict with any certainty what the next generation of GT cars will be like given the dynamics of government regulations, profitability, marketing and any applicable homologation issues.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Any experience above 5,000 ft elevation? I drive between 5k and 14k (rarely, but frequently over 8k). The thin air makes a turbo motor both more valuable (makes much more power/tq than an equivalently rate NA motor) and makes the lag much worse.
Grant, i guess we are the ideal place for Porsche to test the new 992 turbo GT3.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro

Grant, i guess we are the ideal place for Porsche to test the new 992 turbo GT3.
Yep, they test lots of new cars in our fair state. Lately, I’ve been seeing the same pair of next-gen AMG Wagon/Crossovers with a little 2.0L 4-cyl turbo rumored to make about 450hp. They park right near my office in Denver. Could be a fun DD for Euro Delivery (MB has a pretty attractive ED program)

Old 08-07-2018, 03:02 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have no idea if it will or will not be a turbo...but it is...then bring it on. A junior-GT2 like car with 550hp and torque to match would be a killer.

And by the results of the Spa 24hr, I bet the racing dept wants it too. IMO, the GT3Rs are really struggling due to lack of low down torque. I watched them closely out of the corners and the big bore V8s and turbo based competition just pull away. And while the Rs might make up some ground in the corners and under brakes, they just do not have enough bottom end grunt to make up all the lost ground.
Come on dude, Frank promotes NA engines at every opportunity.

There is a new GT3 R that will be competing globally next year, still NA.

And - oh yeah - Porsche just won the biggest race in the world (GTE Pro and GTE Am classes) with a NA engine.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Fake News.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by fxz

https://www.motor1.com/news/261091/porsche-911-everything-we-know/
Frank has not wavered on his position (yet).

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Like I've said before, lots of those people that are "in the know" like Dr. Walliser say things that come out as fact when what they are really saying is what they want or hope to be the case. This doesn't make them a liar, or even necessarily wrong, but it's just so hard to predict with any certainty what the next generation of GT cars will be like given the dynamics of government regulations, profitability, marketing and any applicable homologation issues.
Frank isn’t “in the know” - it’s literally his decision, along with Michael Steiner. Subject to BOD approval, obviously (like every other corporate decision in history, in the abstract sense).

Andreas Preuninger (road cars) and Pascal Zurlinden, who succeeded Marco Ujhasi (Motorsport), report to Frank.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

maybe we have NA maybe we have force induction maybe we have E car.
but some says "the ppl in the know" says blah blah...
most of the big businesses i worked with.. the boss, the head of a dept, the chief of xxxx. really know nothing.
it's the 2nd chair or 3rd chair that do work.
the "ppl in the know" just drink and golf. i know b/c i am in the know.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:39 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

**** I just realized I’m in the know...

Quick Reply: The future 911 range, including the GT3, will exclusively use turbocharged six-cylind