Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: You don’t see this everyday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default OT: You don’t see this everyday...

Coming back from the dealer today. Big crash and the right lane was blocked up ahead. If you want to know a thing or two about the people who live here, this photo speaks volumes. In my rearview mirror i saw about the same thing behind me.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:59 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

C-470?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry my original post read the OP wrong. Is that people moving over to clear right lane for accident OR people just driving in the left lane?
Chet
Old 08-01-2018, 10:16 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by n2cars
C-470?
Yep. Around 4pm.

Originally Posted by CME
Sorry my original post read the OP wrong. Is that people moving over to clear right lane for accident OR people just driving in the left lane?
Chet
The right lane was blocked due to the accident up ahead. The interesting thing wasn’t that everyone had moved over to the left for probably a half mile, but that nobody tried to take advantage of this wide open right lane to cut in line.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 71 Posts

That's a CO thing. Would not happen in NY. Sad but true.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by CME
That's a CO thing. Would not happen in NY. Sad but true.
I don’t think this happens in most places, so don’t feel bad. Just an interesting observation about this place and the people who live here.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:39 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Ugh, I know how you feel, we lived in Tennessee where the late merge was considered very rude! Traffic would back up for miles like your picture all the time.

NPR had an article about the Zipper merge- it's counter intuitive but the Zipper merger (waiting to merge over until the last minute) helps traffic flow more freely and benefits everyone, including those in the lane that people you are merging into. Basically it increases the capacity of the highway.

I take this information as a 'hall pass' to do the Zipper merge as often as possible. I know it seems anti-social and Tennessee 'rude', but that is just for the unenlightened and I do it now all the time, LOL.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Would never happen here. The line cutters would be at the front honking and forcing there way in.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:49 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by montoya
Ugh, I know how you feel, we lived in Tennessee where the late merge was considered very rude! Traffic would back up for miles like your picture all the time.

NPR had an article about the Zipper merge- it's counter intuitive but the Zipper merger (waiting to merge over until the last minute) helps traffic flow more freely and benefits everyone, including those in the lane that people you are merging into. Basically it increases the capacity of the highway.

I take this information as a 'hall pass' to do the Zipper merge as often as possible. I know it seems anti-social and Tennessee 'rude', but that is just for the unenlightened and I do it now all the time, LOL.
Same here. Rude to cut the line. Yeah, i remember seeing that article. Seeing this yesterday one positive about this situation was that emergency vehicles got to the accident faster because they were hauling down that open lane. If your life is hanging in the balance and every second counts, these people just did you a solid. I need to visit Tennessee!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

In Michigan you'll get some who will take advantage. However in Ontario people know how to properly zipper merge. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's so hard to NOT drive in the passing lane and zipper merge.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:14 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

So I'm supposed to merge late?
Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane.

Benefits
Reduces differences in speeds between two lanes
Reduces the overall length of traffic backup by as much as 40 percent
Reduces congestion on freeway interchanges
Source: https://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
Old 08-01-2018, 11:26 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbroen
So I'm supposed to merge late?
Yes! As you see the “lane closed ahead” sign and traffic backing up, stay in your current lane up to the point of merge. Then take turns with other drivers to safely and smoothly ease into the remaining lane.

Benefits
Reduces differences in speeds between two lanes
Reduces the overall length of traffic backup by as much as 40 percent
Reduces congestion on freeway interchanges
Source:https://www.dot.state.mn.us/zippermerge/
Not really meant to be about the pros and cons of merging late, although i am sure the people responding to this accident appreciated the wide open right lane. But regarding those points above, there was no issue with speed difference of lanes, because nobody was driving in the right lane. The traffic backup only impacted the left lane, so the right lane was open and used to exit the freeway. I think this only works if everyone is on the same page, which quite frankly probably only applies to a very small % of the country.

It was more an observation about the behavior of the drivers, and what i would call civility. Just an observation.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

They need some sort of temporary lane lights so that one lane goes and then the other lane goes. That would optimize traffic flow.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

Georgia is the same way. I see it everyday right here in front of our business. People get mad and irate about others using the zipper merge just so they can get to the red light 1/4-mile up ahead one car quicker. It is crazy.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by evilfij
They need some sort of temporary lane lights so that one lane goes and then the other lane goes. That would optimize traffic flow.
In Hawaii the freeway lanes adjust, so that when you are driving into Honolulu in the morning it is like 3 lanes in and one lane out. Coming home it is the reverse. Pretty amazing to watch in action. But I don't think it happens quick enough for most accidents.

Quick Reply: OT: You don’t see this everyday...