Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you ****ing kidding me, PORSCHE? GT3 cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018 | 01:48 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Penn4S
So an NA, high revving, manual transmission, ***** to the wall driving car with a drop top. And the problem is?
The touring was already a street version of the GT3 track car.
Exactly. I think it is funny that a Touring even exists, but people want it.

I'd rather have a cab/vert GT3 than a Touring.
Old 07-31-2018 | 01:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by shamoo
Exactly. I think it is funny that a Touring even exists, but people want it.

I'd rather have a cab/vert GT3 than a Touring.
Definitely.
Old 07-31-2018 | 01:52 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fibredog
I'm not a fan of Cabs, but I would seriously consider a GT3 Targa w/6-speed. I'll take mine in Slate Grey 615, chrome accents and houndstooth seats.
I'm with you. A GT3 Targa 6 speed or PDK would get me to sell my GT3 in a minute. Love the Targa, but love the GT3 engine more.
Old 07-31-2018 | 02:38 PM
JMartinni
Racer

"dilute the brand" by offering more models with the GT3 engine? That's how it should be in the first place. Last time I checked the brand of Porsche was the 911 and GT3 is just a line or trim of it. If it was my call and fleet emissions laws weren't an issue GT3 wouldn't exist anyway and the same engine would instead sit in the 911 Carrera and Carrera RS.
Old 07-31-2018 | 02:38 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

So go ahead and put the motor in anything you want, I think that would be great. (They won't because of emission and cost.) Just don't call it a GT3.

Like TRAKCAR said RS is the new GT3. Now I want an RS RS, or RRS, or RS^2.

Fk it, just order the club Cup car.
Old 07-31-2018 | 02:43 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I'll bet anybody a buck we will see:

Porsche Speedster
and
Porsche Roadster

If you are aghast at the prospect, you don't much about Porsche history.

I expect we will see a lot of press photos alongside this car as part of the continuing 70th anniversary celebration:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/hist...386-15494.html
Old 07-31-2018 | 02:52 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

I would bet this cab will be a great driver’s car. I don’t see how that dilutes the brand.
Old 07-31-2018 | 02:54 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

These cars are no different than a Mr Potato head right now. The parts are in the bin so why not.

I disagree with the GT3 naming. Same for the GT3T. Just silly.

They should have built a new lineup entirely called "Carrera X" or something and dropped the wingless NA coupe and cabrio under that heading.
Old 07-31-2018 | 03:01 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
Being able to have the top down while banging through the gears at 9,000 RPMs in the mountains? That would be incredible.
I agree. Bring it. I'll take an RS for the track and this for the road!
Old 07-31-2018 | 03:10 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by localmotion411
I would bet this cab will be a great driver’s car. I don’t see how that dilutes the brand.
Its the naming that bothers me more than anything.....

As others have said, they are doing the same thing BMW did with M and Mercedes has done with AMG.

Porsche is taking the popularity of one car and using it to market an entire brand.

Just like BMW "lost their way" for a while and is just coming back to basics with things like the M2, I feel like Porsche is entering a similar phase where high prices are paid for badges with no basis of history. The 718/Cayman/Boxster transformation was the start of this. I feel like it is entirely possible that the 911 is going to get worse and may or may not ever get better again.

They are likely trying to have "normal" 911's then a fleet of GT models across all lines. Porsche trademarked "GT 5" a couple years ago. How much longer until the Cayenne GT 5 pops up?

Old 07-31-2018 | 03:11 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and long-distance driving. From wikipedia.

I think some of us have a skewed idea that these are race cars because the Porsche marketing department invented the GT3 moniker and we've all fallen in love with marketing. In the end it's all about levels of performance. You can argue that the current crop of gt cars are softer and heavier than those of yore, but in the end they are faster and perform at a much higher level than their forebears in every objective sense.

I'm glad porsche is continuing to evolve new models and better performance. I just want the opportunity to actually buy one if I want a particular model. Is that too much to ask?
Old 07-31-2018 | 03:21 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

So much hate - it's funny. People act like Porsche is taking away their lunch money.

Does this new model negatively affect the current car(s) in your garage?

Does it negatively affect the amazing other cars Porsche produces and we all love?

I personally won't buy it, for my climate - but if I ever move, ..would be amazing
Old 07-31-2018 | 03:34 PM
localmotion411
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Its the naming that bothers me more than anything.....

As others have said, they are doing the same thing BMW did with M and Mercedes has done with AMG.

Porsche is taking the popularity of one car and using it to market an entire brand.

Just like BMW "lost their way" for a while and is just coming back to basics with things like the M2, I feel like Porsche is entering a similar phase where high prices are paid for badges with no basis of history. The 718/Cayman/Boxster transformation was the start of this. I feel like it is entirely possible that the 911 is going to get worse and may or may not ever get better again.

They are likely trying to have "normal" 911's then a fleet of GT models across all lines. Porsche trademarked "GT 5" a couple years ago. How much longer until the Cayenne GT 5 pops up?
And Mercedes did the same thing putting AMG branding on appearance packages. That did dilute the appeal of “real” AMG cars for me. I don’t see Porsche doing that; they are forced to be as profitable as possible while still keeping the brand special and it appears to me they are doing their best.

I agree though that they need to get to a point where they can meet the demand with production, as well as better control this ADM nonsense. Build as many as they can sell, even if they have to raise pricing. Allocations and ADM seem to be turning a lot of people away from the brand.
Old 07-31-2018 | 03:39 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

I just don't understand why they don't make more of the existing GT3s - touring or regular. They are catering to a segmented market when they are far from filling demand for what is already a proven commodity.
Old 07-31-2018 | 03:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

^ They can sell a convertible for more money.

Quick Reply: Are you ****ing kidding me, PORSCHE? GT3 cabriolet