991.2 GT3 Registration Cost SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 01:19 AM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by richardbf
As someone who has visited CA many times both north and south I would totally live there if the economics were feasible for me. However LA doesn't do it for me. I am a suburban boy at heart. I have a friend whom I visit in Corona Del Mar and I am just flabbergasted by how beautiful it is there. It's just one of those places where you have to pay to play. The only place I would rather live is Zurich. Another super expensive city lol. If I could afford the taxes and triple my income I would be in California like half the forum is lol.
You are correct about Corona Del Mar it is beautiful, but what I really enjoy is seeing all the exotics driving the local roads every day. I remember getting my new Car & Driver once and one of the editors who had never been to CDM could not believe all the fabulous cars running around. He went on to say, just sit on a bench at the corner of PCH and Mac Arthur blvd and you will see every exotic made drive by in about an hour,truth is he wasn't kidding. This place is car central in my mind, oh and by the way your are right, its also become super expensive unfortunately.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
why does anybody live in California? this thread makes it seem just awful. isn't the government taking more of your pay then you are? awful.
Originally Posted by n3rd
Sorry but I have to jump in here. My wife and I are here for two weeks to decide if we want to escape the great white north east. I’ve specifically avoided car guy stuff because I don’t want it to influence my opinion. The views, the food, and the weather are perfect- literally.

I can’t justify the 9.5% tax, terrible roads/traffic, politics, and **** poor attitudes I’ve come across.

Next stop Houston followed by Naples. /rant
houston is a major joke compared to SF/LS/SD
other than high living cost, there is no reason to live anywhere else but CA, maybe NYC.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on AAA membership and finding an office with helpful people. Much better than DMV.

My tradition: After I register a car at the AAA, it's straight on to the drive-thru for a celebratory In-N-Out burger.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:58 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
^Also don't miss the Petersen Museum while your here...when you finish you can grab lunch at PEC LA.
Did the PEC LA and the g-force (aka powerslide) driving experience the day we arrived. I did shred a new set of tires on a nice new GT3 which was fun. 917 was nice. Peterson was cool.

As cool as the car culture may be, can you actually buy a car you want in Ca?

Not bashing Ca. It is amazing but there are a few things that can’t be overlooked in my book. I have to be objective about it simply because I would have a ****tier lifestyle out here. For full disclosure compensation in my field (medicine) sucks here and I would make half of what I make now. I’d be okay with a pay cut if I could buy more real estate. I also can’t do that because the average asking price of real estate here is 2-3 times the area I currently reside in (or even Fl or Tx for that matter). I’ll work harder/smarter, invest a bit more and move to Rancho Palos Verdes. Eventually.

Sorry for high jacking the thread.

Last edited by n3rd; 06-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:48 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So don’t tell me “seasons”. Seasons are overrated. We have 2 here. Flip flop weather and hoodie weather.
CA has seasons - it just got rid of the crappy ones.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:50 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
houston is a major joke compared to SF/LS/SD
other than high living cost, there is no reason to live anywhere else but CA, maybe CA.
FIFY
Old 06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Of the mind, if you have the opportunity to try it out without many strings attached in case you need to eject, definitely worth the experience. Registration costs are relatively trivial in grand scheme of SoCal costs. Don't even sweat it, just like guy above said, just think AAA + Double-Double A-style + beer. Lived in San Diego (La Jolla) for 6yrs early 2000's for grad work + first real job. Was a great experience, glad I did it, but eventually needed to be closer to a bigger mt wilderness & out of the hustle.

Sorry to hear you're possibly leaving Denver. Heard through the grape-vine you're a decent stick out at HPR. Was looking forward to showing you the lines when my .2 arrives Used to run B5 S4/E36 monsters out at Willow Springs/ButtonWillow etc back in day, solid tracks you'll enjoy. Good luck. And tell those Californians to stop moving to CO in droves, wth! They're turning it into this sh*tshow ...
Old 06-28-2018, 02:01 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Registration costs here in Nevada are outrageous, $3,300 annually for an RS. Other than registration costs, overall cost of living is very cheap out here. Easy access to SOCAL and Arizona. Lots to do here and beautiful roads to drive.
FWIW, I lived/worked in NYC it's one big cesspool. Transit system smells like urine along with every other street. Oh and the weather sucks.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:16 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
Sorry but I have to jump in here. My wife and I are here for two weeks to decide if we want to escape the great white north east. I’ve specifically avoided car guy stuff because I don’t want it to influence my opinion. The views, the food, and the weather are perfect- literally.

I can’t justify the 9.5% tax, terrible roads/traffic, politics, and **** poor attitudes I’ve come across.

Next stop Houston followed by Naples. /rant
Which part of LA / socal did you visit? LA/OC is so big and you'll get a vastly different experience depending on where you live, work, visit. Hollywood vs West LA vs Corona Del Mar (as mentioned above) vs. Downtown Los Angeles vs San Gabriel Valley vs. "The Valley" vs Manhattan Beach...all so different. The only constants...traffic sucks and weather is great. But no matter where you are, you're close to the beach, close to great food, and close to entertainment. Are people crappy in general? Yeah, but it's who you choose to hang out with that matters more.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:47 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Which part of LA / socal did you visit? LA/OC is so big and you'll get a vastly different experience depending on where you live, work, visit. Hollywood vs West LA vs Corona Del Mar (as mentioned above) vs. Downtown Los Angeles vs San Gabriel Valley vs. "The Valley" vs Manhattan Beach...all so different. The only constants...traffic sucks and weather is great. But no matter where you are, you're close to the beach, close to great food, and close to entertainment. Are people crappy in general? Yeah, but it's who you choose to hang out with that matters more.
+1. Crappy people are everywhere. Great people are everywhere. This Beverly Hills stereotype that the rest of the country has is nonsense. There are 4mil people here in LA. If you can't find good people or people you get along with then the problem may lie somewhere else. I'm a Northeast native. Outside of NYC, the restaurants on the East Coast don't compare to LA. If you don't like the politics, realize that the politics in OC and LA are very different (referring to earlier comments). Weather is perfect. Costs are high. I would never move away from SoCal, but I still appreciate the benefits of other parts of the US. Live wherever it suits you, but don't bash LA
Old 06-28-2018, 06:46 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
+1. Crappy people are everywhere. Great people are everywhere. This Beverly Hills stereotype that the rest of the country has is nonsense. There are 4mil people here in LA. If you can't find good people or people you get along with then the problem may lie somewhere else. I'm a Northeast native. Outside of NYC, the restaurants on the East Coast don't compare to LA. If you don't like the politics, realize that the politics in OC and LA are very different (referring to earlier comments). Weather is perfect. Costs are high. I would never move away from SoCal, but I still appreciate the benefits of other parts of the US. Live wherever it suits you, but don't bash LA
That's the other thing, part of the appeal of LA is that it has so much diversity that it's very easy to find (or stay away from) people who share similar interests, tastes, beliefs, political views, you name it, as you.

So if you want uniformity in any of the above (I know some do), LA, or at least the majority of it, is definitely not the place for you.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
Of the mind, if you have the opportunity to try it out without many strings attached in case you need to eject, definitely worth the experience. Registration costs are relatively trivial in grand scheme of SoCal costs. Don't even sweat it, just like guy above said, just think AAA + Double-Double A-style + beer. Lived in San Diego (La Jolla) for 6yrs early 2000's for grad work + first real job. Was a great experience, glad I did it, but eventually needed to be closer to a bigger mt wilderness & out of the hustle.

Sorry to hear you're possibly leaving Denver. Heard through the grape-vine you're a decent stick out at HPR. Was looking forward to showing you the lines when my .2 arrives Used to run B5 S4/E36 monsters out at Willow Springs/ButtonWillow etc back in day, solid tracks you'll enjoy. Good luck. And tell those Californians to stop moving to CO in droves, wth! They're turning it into this sh*tshow ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35sfp9k5avI
Bummer we never met. I work back and forth between Denver and Orlando and yes I've done a few laps around HPR lol..

I'm racing GTS-3 NASA In July if you're there it would be great to meet! Where are you getting your .2 from?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Registration Cost SoCal