Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 Registration Cost SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:31 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 Registration Cost SoCal

Having trouble finding clear answers online. My weak point in school was always research so be mindful haha!

2018 GT3 and a 2018 Ford F-250 Diesel. Most likely in Long Beach or Santa Monica.

Also, what is the deal with taxes? Both cars paid in full and already paid sales taxes in FL when I bought them in 2017.

Considering a move to LA for my partners job. She is trying to build a case for her salary etc based on cost of living.

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Roadster08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link should give you some info if the vehicle(s) have never been registered in CA before

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...latorweb/index
Old 06-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

California taxes suck!!! I might have this slightly wrong but basically if the car is less than a year old (duration might be wrong?) you'll have to pay full taxes on the car even though you've already paid them in another state. In Cali, depending on the county, it's in the order of 9 - 9.5% so you could be in trouble with your 3 and 250. Trick is not to go to DMV until they're over a year old - you'll still pay taxes but not the full amount (sorry can't remember what the amount is). Also note that when I moved back into Cali I bought a Tundra in and they asked does it have a cover over the truck bed? No I replied and they told me it's therefore, classified as a commercial vehicle and I had to take it to a weighbridge and get it weighed before they'd register it. Unbelievable!!! I do believe though it just depends on who you get to speak to as the laws, like the commercial truck bit, will vary from person to person so if you can stand a repeat visit and don't like the answer you get walk away and come back another day.
And of course if you part exchange or sell in Cali there's no re-coup of any taxes - you lose the lot or rather you can not re-coup any.
Lastly, I also believe California DMV's are the nastiest, most horrible places on the face of the earth. I swear they only employee the grumpiest, least friendly people on the planet. It is NOT a pleasure to have to visit one of these places. And then people wonder why some register cars in Montana lol!!
Old 06-26-2018, 05:26 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Lastly, I also believe California DMV's are the nastiest, most horrible places on the face of the earth. I swear they only employee the grumpiest, least friendly people on the planet. It is NOT a pleasure to have to visit one of these places. And then people wonder why some register cars in Montana lol!!
Lol. And never go without an appointment, even if your life depended on it.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 143 Posts

I might have this slightly wrong but basically if the car is less than a year old (duration might be wrong?) you'll have to pay full taxes on the car even though you've already paid them in another state. In Cali, depending on the county, it's in the order of 9 - 9.5% so you could be in trouble with your 3 and 250. Trick is not to go to DMV until they're over a year old - you'll still pay taxes but not the full amount (sorry can't remember what the amount is).
Yes, wrong...if vehicles are less than a year old, only the difference between taxes already paid and CA sales/use tax is owed (assuming CA is higher). If over a year old no sales/use taxes are due. Only registration and plate fees.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Yes, wrong...if vehicles are less than a year old, only the difference between taxes already paid and CA sales/use tax is owed (assuming CA is higher). If over a year old no sales/use taxes are due. Only registration and plate fees.
Thank you for clarifying. Scared the sh*t out of me when I thought I had to pay another 20k in taxes lol. Already costing me tens of thousands in state income tax, doh!
Old 06-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

California taxes suck!!! I might have this slightly wrong but basically if the car is less than a year old (duration might be wrong?) you'll have to pay full taxes on the car even though you've already paid them in another state. In Cali, depending on the county, it's in the order of 9 - 9.5% so you could be in trouble with your 3 and 250. Trick is not to go to DMV until they're over a year old - you'll still pay taxes but not the full amount (sorry can't remember what the amount is). Also note that when I moved back into Cali I bought a Tundra in and they asked does it have a cover over the truck bed? No I replied and they told me it's therefore, classified as a commercial vehicle and I had to take it to a weighbridge and get it weighed before they'd register it. Unbelievable!!! I do believe though it just depends on who you get to speak to as the laws, like the commercial truck bit, will vary from person to person so if you can stand a repeat visit and don't like the answer you get walk away and come back another day.
And of course if you part exchange or sell in Cali there's no re-coup of any taxes - you lose the lot or rather you can not re-coup any.
good to know about the truck. Thank you.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Also, any weird issues with a roll bar upon registering?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

1. Get a AAA membership. They will handle nearly everything car related and it's worth the yearly fee. You cannot get your ID there, must do DMV for that. But, CA DMV does appointments which works pretty well.
2. if cars are not considered NEW (the DMV has a definition of this, if that is the case you will pay use tax which is based on where you register the car, and SM or LB will be ~10%). you'll pay registration tax + registration fee on registration annually. for the GT3, first year is probably about 1500. It will go down yearly. But thanks to "I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be president.... California Über Alles" those fees went up this year. My 2013 cayenne went from $400 annually to over $600. The Spyder ~90k sale was about $1k reg fee. UGH. But, it is cheaper than most states that have personal property taxes on cars.
3. No issues with the roll bar.
4. Car emissions must be 100%, NOT deviations, as delivered from new. No exceptions. You will need a smog certification before registering the cars. Diesel included.

Just be prepared coming from FL at cost of living here. Beach areas are 1k+/sq ft (LB and SM, SM being even more), taxes are high, property valuations high and drives high property taxes, sales taxes are high, overall cost of living is high. The cost of your 2 cars will be the least of your net income worries. When I move staff to CA from other states, it's about 20-25% at LEAST.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Originally Posted by Spyerx
1. Get a AAA membership. They will handle nearly everything car related and it's worth the yearly fee. You cannot get your ID there, must do DMV for that. But, CA DMV does appointments which works pretty well.
2. if cars are not considered NEW (the DMV has a definition of this, if that is the case you will pay use tax which is based on where you register the car, and SM or LB will be ~10%). you'll pay registration tax + registration fee on registration annually. for the GT3, first year is probably about 1500. It will go down yearly. But thanks to "I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be president.... California Über Alles" those fees went up this year. My 2013 cayenne went from $400 annually to over $600. The Spyder ~90k sale was about $1k reg fee. UGH. But, it is cheaper than most states that have personal property taxes on cars.
3. No issues with the roll bar.
4. Car emissions must be 100%, NOT deviations, as delivered from new. No exceptions. You will need a smog certification before registering the cars. Diesel included.

Just be prepared coming from FL at cost of living here. Beach areas are 1k+/sq ft (LB and SM, SM being even more), taxes are high, property valuations high and drives high property taxes, sales taxes are high, overall cost of living is high. The cost of your 2 cars will be the least of your net income worries. When I move staff to CA from other states, it's about 20-25% at LEAST.
Very helpful. Thank you.

Back to the actual sales tax, can you concur regarding what was said above about just paying the difference in state sales tax assuming it’s less than a year of ownership and no sales tax if I have owned longer than one year?

Registration sounds like Colorado, which is a place I have lived. Still helpful to hear it explained simply.

And yes, overall cost of living is insanely high but I think I’ll enjoy SoCal. Very excited and hope she lands the job.

Again, thanks for info! I’m sure I’ll see you at the track if I move there!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

why does anybody live in California? this thread makes it seem just awful. isn't the government taking more of your pay then you are? awful.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
why does anybody live in California? this thread makes it seem just awful. isn't the government taking more of your pay then you are? awful.
jobs, geology, food, culture, weather... basically the opposite of Indiana

If you can put up with the taxes and politics, why not?
Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Just uses the calculator on the page linked above. You will get an exact number. No guessing.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
jobs, geology, food, culture, weather... basically the opposite of Indiana

If you can put up with the taxes and politics, why not?
lol. It's 77% outside right now with almost no humidity. And it's like this most of the year.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:19 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Alan. I was working from memory from about 6.5 yrs ago and I’ve drunk quite a bit of wine since!!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Registration Cost SoCal