Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:46 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Replacement

I know this subject was discussed a few times on RL but I can't find a definite answer, can any of the below steering wheels be fitted to a 991.1 GT3?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...018GT3ALC.html
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...8GT2RSALC.html
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...91RSSTEER.html

Anyone try it and was successful? I know the 991.1 GT3 paddles feel more mechanical than the .1 RS paddles and the .2 GT3 paddles as well but I was told it is only because a different spring is used. If I was able to shift to one of the steering wheels in the above links, would I be able to keep the spring from the .1 GT3 for the paddles?

I really dislike the way our .1 steering wheels look like and I really enjoyed how much smaller the steering wheel on my friend's .2 was when I drove it
Old 06-25-2018, 04:15 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

A good question, I think the answer will be yes, might be some paddle challenges though perhaps with clearance ?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:27 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

PS I'm pretty sure some have fitted the .1RS wheel to a .1 GT3
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

While I agree that the newer wheel is nicer, I don't think that it is $3K nicer. I say this because even after just getting out of my car after a 50 mile drive I don't ever remember looking at the wheel. The 9K shifts? Those I remember.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 PM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I definitely agree with you OP: the .1 steering wheel's paddles really have a long "throw" if you will, and the center of the wheel just looks bloated. The RS wheel/991.2 GT3 wheel looks and feels significantly better. Two weeks after driving my GT3, I knew I needed to upgrade the steering wheel to the newer one.

Rather than dealing with parts that may not fit (in case you get the wrong airbag and what not), I opted to simply purchase the steering wheel and airbag as a combo from a retailer off eBay. I've directed a few people to the retailer already and have heard nothing but great feedback from them.

The sellers' username is 911ava and they sell quite a few things. Narrow the search down on eBay with steering wheel and you'll find plenty on offer. My experience went as follows: I contacted them, negotiated a price outside of eBay (they have great feedback, and in case things go south PayPal always has my back), told them what I wanted (specific stitching, 12 o'clock stripe colour), placed a deposit, sent the remaining balance when it was ready, and then received the new steering wheel. This entire ordeal took about 2.5 weeks, transit included. The steering wheel I wanted had perforated leather at 3 and 9 and alcantara at 12 and 6, but the stitching was red with a red 12 o'clock stripe. I requested that they change it to yellow, and they got it done. The entire experience was seamless and I wouldn't hesitate purchasing from them again. Again, I'm not affiliated or anything - just a guy that enjoyed his experience. The person you speak to may not have the most impeccable English lexicon, but there were never any frustrating moments.

All it takes is programming the airbag in when you install the wheel; your local Porsche dealership should be able do it. Should be about 1.5~2 hours of labour as well. Here's my new wheel:

Wouldn't ever think twice about this upgrade. Love the feel and look of it too!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Easy to change the wheel yourself. Many youtube videos with step by step. Takes me about 10 minutes while being very careful. Porsche dealer charges me for 30 min labor but it only takes about 15 minutes to reprogram for the new air bag. There is a big difference in the shift feel of the paddles from the .1 to the .2 GT wheel. .2 is considerably more quick and direct. Makes driving more fun!!
Old 06-26-2018, 05:38 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AhsanU
I definitely agree with you OP: the .1 steering wheel's paddles really have a long "throw" if you will, and the center of the wheel just looks bloated. The RS wheel/991.2 GT3 wheel looks and feels significantly better. Two weeks after driving my GT3, I knew I needed to upgrade the steering wheel to the newer one.

Rather than dealing with parts that may not fit (in case you get the wrong airbag and what not), I opted to simply purchase the steering wheel and airbag as a combo from a retailer off eBay. I've directed a few people to the retailer already and have heard nothing but great feedback from them.

The sellers' username is 911ava and they sell quite a few things. Narrow the search down on eBay with steering wheel and you'll find plenty on offer. My experience went as follows: I contacted them, negotiated a price outside of eBay (they have great feedback, and in case things go south PayPal always has my back), told them what I wanted (specific stitching, 12 o'clock stripe colour), placed a deposit, sent the remaining balance when it was ready, and then received the new steering wheel. This entire ordeal took about 2.5 weeks, transit included. The steering wheel I wanted had perforated leather at 3 and 9 and alcantara at 12 and 6, but the stitching was red with a red 12 o'clock stripe. I requested that they change it to yellow, and they got it done. The entire experience was seamless and I wouldn't hesitate purchasing from them again. Again, I'm not affiliated or anything - just a guy that enjoyed his experience. The person you speak to may not have the most impeccable English lexicon, but there were never any frustrating moments.

All it takes is programming the airbag in when you install the wheel; your local Porsche dealership should be able do it. Should be about 1.5~2 hours of labour as well.

Wouldn't ever think twice about this upgrade. Love the feel and look of it too!
Thank you for this info. I will for sure check them out. In the meantime, were you able to use your original .1 paddles and did not need to install new paddles?

If this is true, were you able to retain the shift feeling / engagement as it was on the .1 with old steering wheel? I read somewhere that different spring used on .1 so pulling the paddles needs more force / effort, which i actually like.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:39 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BLAM
Easy to change the wheel yourself. Many youtube videos with step by step. Takes me about 10 minutes while being very careful. Porsche dealer charges me for 30 min labor but it only takes about 15 minutes to reprogram for the new air bag. There is a big difference in the shift feel of the paddles from the .1 to the .2 GT wheel. .2 is considerably more quick and direct. Makes driving more fun!!
thank you for your feedback

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Replacement