Sponsored by:

For all you manual romantics out there

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts
Default For all you manual romantics out there

For all you manual romantics out there a nice...but maybe a bit cheesy....video from Henry Catchpole on a manual GT3.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:50 AM
fruitcake
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's okay
Much prefer Jethro or Chris Harris
Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 269 Posts

the no-lift shift is an absolute Godsend!
love it--makes me feel Senna zipping around Monaco....almost.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

If I'm doing the no lift shift, I'd prefer a pdk. If I can't have a pdk and manual, I could see the allure as an all-in-one tranny/car.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by fruitcake
He's okay
Much prefer Jethro or Chris Harris
I enjoy his videos, less pretentious than Chris that's for sure. But I like them all.

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Good video hits all the right points, spot on
Old 06-06-2018, 11:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

You don't even need to talk in a video, I just let the manual do the talking.

(Stelvio pass last week from Austria-Italy to go meet up with Pagani Rally.)

Edit: and shifting manually is even more fun with a Zonda. Every time I could choose between manual zonda and a faster Huayra.. well, it was manual tranny each time

Last edited by CAlexio; 06-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
https://youtu.be/kTYiAf8fOw8

You don't even need to talk in a video, I just let the manual do the talking.

(Stelvio pass last week from Austria-Italy to go meet up with Pagani Rally.)
A good demonstration of why the Stelvio is not what its cracked up to be. I am heading down to the alps next week for a few days driving and not going anywhere near the Stelvio. Its just not worth it IMHO.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
A good demonstration of why the Stelvio is not what its cracked up to be. I am heading down to the alps next week for a few days driving and not going anywhere near the Stelvio. Its just not worth it IMHO.
Yes I agree, there's no rhythm, the roads are too tight... But the video was intended more to support the original point of your thread, I just happen to have just edited this video.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

While i absolutely love having this manual touring car, I really think the clutch is a mistake. Just not as good as previous 997 gt3 clutch.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes I agree, there's no rhythm, the roads are too tight... But the video was intended more to support the original point of your thread, I just happen to have just edited this video.
I am taking 3 cars, GT3.2 PDK, GT3 Touring and AMG GTR. Will be swapping from car to car. We will be doing the Silvretta, Grossglockner, Sella Rond, Hahntennjoch and TimmelsJoch. A 3,000kms+ round trip. Am interest to see how I feel about the manual and the GT3 T after that...because...right now....I am not bonding with the car...even after 4,000+ kms.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:37 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 269 Posts

...because...right now....I am not bonding with the car...even after 4,000+ kms.
Really? How come? I only have about 500 km on my GT3 manual and absolutely in love with the shifter. But yet again, I can’t compare it to the cars you’ve personally driven.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 220 Posts

I am taking 3 cars, GT3.2 PDK, GT3 Touring and AMG GTR. Will be swapping from car to car. We will be doing the Silvretta, Grossglockner, Sella Rond, Hahntennjoch and TimmelsJoch. A 3,000kms+ round trip. Am interest to see how I feel about the manual and the GT3 T after that...because...right now....I am not bonding with the car...even after 4,000+ kms.
You're going completely in the wrong direction IMO..Henry Catchpole's video above was filmed in my backyard, some of the best motoring country in the world..Why do you think EVO and the rest of the Brit car mags spend so much time there, testing sporty cars..I went for a quick 100 mile drive yesterday afternoon around the Claerwen reservoir in the Elan valley..World class scenery and roads..!
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neurotic

Really? How come? I only have about 500 km on my GT3 manual and absolutely in love with the shifter. But yet again, I can’t compare it to the cars you’ve personally driven.
I have two problems with the car.

First is the noise inside. Its loud (and I don't mind loud) but its a highly unpleasant loud. Not something you want to subject yourself to for a long period. And related to the noise issue is the exhaust. In the GT3.2 PDK, you can more more easily dip into the flaps opening zone of 3,600+ rpm (and hence a nicer sound) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd because of the slightly shorter gearing in the PDK due to the extra gear. Also, you get a nice "pfuump" sound when the PDK changes up at these lower revs. I.e. you get to enjoy the sound of the car at much lower speeds in the PDK. But in the manual, its a lot harder to dip into that nice exhaust zone because of the higher gearing when driving around town. And you don't get the nice "pfuump" sound on upshift. This issue is compounded too I think by the fact that in my observation, the flaps open slightly later in the manual compared to the PDK. So at anything under 4000 rpm in the GT3T, it just feels like a regular Carrera. Whereas I always feel like I am driving something special in the GT3.2 PDK.

Second is the manual gearbox. I do not like the 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th or 6th to 5th changes. The detente is so strongly biased to the 3-4 position that you really have to be very deliberate with:
- the 4 to 5 up shift where you really have to push the shifter much too deliberately to the right and up. If you don't, you end up in 3rd.
- the 5 to 6 up shift where you have to (at least I do) alter your hand position on the knot to make sure you pull back and down to get 6th otherwise you end up in 4th far too easily
- the 6 to 5 down shift where you have to make sure you have some sideways force in up shift motion otherwise it will naturally fall into 3rd too easily.

And I am not the first person who has driven that car and commented on this.

And just to be clear, I do not have any of these issues with my 997 GT3 RS or my 964 RS (which admittedly is not a 6th spd box).

IMHO, my GT3.2 is a much better tourer than my GT3T. And so is my 997 GT3 RS for that matter. Instead of the GT3T being the first car my mind goes to when thinking about a long trip, its actually the last.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:35 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I have two problems with the car.

First is the noise inside. Its loud (and I don't mind loud) but its a highly unpleasant loud. Not something you want to subject yourself to for a long period. And related to the noise issue is the exhaust. In the GT3.2 PDK, you can more more easily dip into the flaps opening zone of 3,600+ rpm (and hence a nicer sound) in 1st, 2nd and 3rd because of the slightly shorter gearing in the PDK due to the extra gear. Also, you get a nice "pfuump" sound when the PDK changes up at these lower revs. I.e. you get to enjoy the sound of the car at much lower speeds in the PDK. But in the manual, its a lot harder to dip into that nice exhaust zone because of the higher gearing when driving around town. And you don't get the nice "pfuump" sound on upshift. This issue is compounded too I think by the fact that in my observation, the flaps open slightly later in the manual compared to the PDK. So at anything under 4000 rpm in the GT3T, it just feels like a regular Carrera. Whereas I always feel like I am driving something special in the GT3.2 PDK.

Second is the manual gearbox. I do not like the 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th or 6th to 5th changes. The detente is so strongly biased to the 3-4 position that you really have to be very deliberate with:
- the 4 to 5 up shift where you really have to push the shifter much too deliberately to the right and up. If you don't, you end up in 3rd.
- the 5 to 6 up shift where you have to (at least I do) alter your hand position on the knot to make sure you pull back and down to get 6th otherwise you end up in 4th far too easily
- the 6 to 5 down shift where you have to make sure you have some sideways force in up shift motion otherwise it will naturally fall into 3rd too easily.

And I am not the first person who has driven that car and commented on this.

And just to be clear, I do not have any of these issues with my 997 GT3 RS or my 964 RS (which admittedly is not a 6th spd box).

IMHO, my GT3.2 is a much better tourer than my GT3T. And so is my 997 GT3 RS for that matter. Instead of the GT3T being the first car my mind goes to when thinking about a long trip, its actually the last.
Also PDK much better with the 4L than the previous 3.8L for all reasons you state so well. Very enjoyable combination of engine and transmission in all driving situations even in town. I am delighted manual fans got their choice with the .2, but the MT vs PDK business has worn beyond thin.

Quick Reply: For all you manual romantics out there