Sponsored by:

McLaren 570S vs 2015 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

all nice cars cost money to own and operate, some more some less
if you are that worried about money playing with expensive cars will really reduce your fun
if you need to worry about GAAP or counting asset values so finely, once again, you're are going to have a hard time enjoying this hobby/passion

macs are very very cool but still, to me, less visceral and more fragile than the best porsches... but macs are made by serious engineers/car guys really trying to do it right

for me best thing about macs...
effortless speed and feeling of lightness/stiffness
excellent steering feel
feeling of high quality manufacture

worst thing(s) about macs...
poor brake feel
poor brake modulation
complicated cars, alot of electronics, can very expensive/difficult to repair

the mac guys obviously believe this is how high performance brakes SHOULD feel... driven half a dozen of them, different models, they all feel similar... to me the very high effort/short travel brake feel can be gotten used to and trusted with a lot of seat time, but it is still incongruous with the otherwise low effort steering and throttle feel... not a good combo imho
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
all nice cars cost money to own and operate, some more some less
if you are that worried about money playing with expensive cars will really reduce your fun
if you need to worry about GAAP or counting asset values so finely, once again, you're are going to have a hard time enjoying this hobby/passion
Actually I'm having a really great time enjoying my GT3 knowing that the value isn't dropping like a stone. I never said I was worried about "GAAP" - I simply used it to demonstrate that another individual's assertion was clearly false.

I think you're absolutely right that worrying about money e.g. 'decreasing value' will reduce the fun. Seems like it's another definitive reason to purchase Porsche over McLaren in this price bracket on top of the rest of the reasons you provided.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 PM
StrictlyGT3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
To change the subject a bit, the LT version of the 570S (with over 600hp and track enhancements) is rumored to be shown this Summer at Pebble Beach. That should be an interesting model

when these cars cars actually work they are great. The quality of trim,fit and just general electrical and reliability issues really annoy with this brand. It's a shame as I would very much consider owning one but I have been around enough of them to see the headaches they can give.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:17 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I have no issues with the ceramics at all. Firmer push for sure but my 07 GT3 RS requires a stout foot on the clutch compared to my 07 Carrera. Just something I easily got used to.
Agreed.

They felt weird the first time I drove on the street. After tracking (in a different car) and going back to to the car on the street, I had already adjusted. Felt totally normal, easy to modulate, not grabby at all. Just takes a stiff push, rather than a toe flex. Once you are used to that, you don’t give it a second thought.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
In basic accounting terms depreciation of assets is a real loss irrespective if its realised or not..Its only ignored as a loss when income tax needs to be calculated..If two individuals each buy a new top end sportcar each as an example;person A buys a GT2.RS and person B buys a Macca 720..Nobody could argue against the fact that A has increased his wealth compared to B irrespective whether or not they have subsequently sold them or not.
This is why i have bought five new Porsches in the last 12 months and not one Macca..
It's too bad. You should know that Porsches are good driving cars, not just "investments".
Old 05-11-2018, 03:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

It's very hard to continually read the
"GT2RS Vs" anything comments as every single person on this forum knows how hard it is to get one - especially at msrp. So at 400-500k vs a 720 at 350k...vs 350 vs 350...when you put those numbers up against each other we're living in fairy tale land. The 570 and the 911 Turbo are on parallel depreciation arcs within 1-2% residual values. 720 we do not know yet what to compare it to value wise- aventador? LT? GT2RS cannot be a comp because its unobtainable and not even on the ground yet outside of maybe 100-200 world wide so far?

Same argument applies to GT3RS. Are we comparing apples to apples? No. McLarens are not Porsches...they're definitely not 911's. They have thinner skin, different brakes, steering, power delivery etc. the MB GTR is not an RS either.

My point originally is that if you are factoring something like a GT3 or a 570 or whatever into your Personal Net Worth and you're out there driving it on the the track...you're already taking it out of the safe asset category and exposing the massive downside of a shunt, dummy co-participant etc.

I don't think anyone is under the false pretense that a 570 Spider or a 458 or a 2015 GT3 or an R8 or a Turbo S cab (all comparable 150-225k cars) are "collectables" or "rare special editions".

They belong to a class of "go have fun, you earned it" type cars.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

My two cents - way too much talk about depreciation. Only way to combat the depreciation is to enjoy the car. I've never been really hit badly in a car with depreciation but cumulatively I've suffered a ton of it by switching cars far too often (45 or more of them). Death by 1000 cuts. But man it's been fun - zero regrets other than selling my 996 GT3 which might be a better option than either of the cars in this thread for pure fun!! But that's likely just the nostalgia talking and it doesn't have CarPlay or a reversing camera so it's worthless these days.

I'm heading to the track now to see what I can do in the Radical. I'll check back later on what the current thinking is on deviated stitching, PTS pricing and whether it's ok to pay an ADM on my next GT car.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
It's very hard to continually read the
"GT2RS Vs" anything comments as every single person on this forum knows how hard it is to get one - especially at msrp. So at 400-500k vs a 720 at 350k...vs 350 vs 350...when you put those numbers up against each other we're living in fairy tale land. The 570 and the 911 Turbo are on parallel depreciation arcs within 1-2% residual values. 720 we do not know yet what to compare it to value wise- aventador? LT? GT2RS cannot be a comp because its unobtainable and not even on the ground yet outside of maybe 100-200 world wide so far?

Same argument applies to GT3RS. Are we comparing apples to apples? No. McLarens are not Porsches...they're definitely not 911's. They have thinner skin, different brakes, steering, power delivery etc. the MB GTR is not an RS either.

My point originally is that if you are factoring something like a GT3 or a 570 or whatever into your Personal Net Worth and you're out there driving it on the the track...you're already taking it out of the safe asset category and exposing the massive downside of a shunt, dummy co-participant etc.

I don't think anyone is under the false pretense that a 570 Spider or a 458 or a 2015 GT3 or an R8 or a Turbo S cab (all comparable 150-225k cars) are "collectables" or "rare special editions".

They belong to a class of "go have fun, you earned it" type cars.
BANG! You hit that nail on the head and save me some typing. Gonna be dead a real long time and so far am very happy with the 570. And have another GT3 on the way so that base is covered. When buying these type of cars some of us know NEVER DO THE MATH!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,765 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
It's very hard to continually read the "GT2RS Vs" anything comments as every single person on this forum knows how hard it is to get one....
And just plain boring and annoying.

Sadly a sign of the times. In the pre-automatic days a Porsche GT car buyer was more likely a driver than a buffer. Add to that the new cars are so fast and competent that there’s much less engagement if you’re not tracking. If you’re not tracking and can’t get into the nuts of the car on the street because it’s too fast what’s left to do except chest thumping?

As for Macca brake pedal feel, any decent driver adapts. I give Macca high marks. They’re producing some cutting edge cars and actually delivering them to customers with no games. It’s a heck of lot more enjoyable walking into a Macca showroom these days than it is a Porsche dealer. That alone is a win in my book.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:55 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Funny this popped up. McLaren is currently doing an event this weekend in N FL to meet with interested buyers and I had some time with this beautiful 570 spider. I love the looks of the spiders but would prefer to get a 570GT since I road trip a lot and would also do some track events. The steering and handling is razor sharp. Service is once a year and they handle the transportation to and from the dealer. I'm very close to cheating on Porsche...
I was invited to the "McLaren Tampa Bay Ride and Drive" event placed in Central FL a few weeks ago and I drove a 570GT. The sales person was very pushy and seemed desperate to sell at any cost which ruined the whole experience.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
I was invited to the "McLaren Tampa Bay Ride and Drive" event placed in Central FL a few weeks ago and I drove a 570GT. The sales person was very pushy and seemed desperate to sell at any cost which ruined the whole experience.
Just buy one from CJ then.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:11 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

they are special cars and they definitely making them better and better
but if you change cars often, the precipitous depreciation remains a problem.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

A bit more info after a DE day. Took the Mac to Thompson a short while ago, first DE in 10 years and went out in blue with good friend instructing. Suspension Normal and power delivery in Sport. Tight track and as I got smoother and quicker I had to be careful that McLaren's "Inertial Push" gear change did not happen just before the brake zone. I had the pedal to the floor at a lot of apexes and not so much power delivered. Not so bad for me as it forced me to stay on the line to carry speed, and learn the car. 3rd session a Z06 caught up to me at the start of the straight and I held a Point By for a short bit and as the car grabbed 4th I pulled on him like he hit the brakes. It was a lot of fun and next day put power delivery in Track mode and made a huge difference. I'm sure using the paddles would make a big difference but taking it in little steps. Instructor took me out in his 2018 GT3. NA POWER DELIVERY! Of course he had micrometer perfect lines too. Excellent car and driver. One bad thing I noticed was the severe buffeting on the straight, something absent in the Mac. It was obnoxious to the point of distraction and willing to bet very fatiguing on a track like the Glen. Can hardly wait until mine comes in.

Quick Reply: McLaren 570S vs 2015 GT3