Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,011 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by EST
This is like a masterpiece of all batteries
Beautiful.... yes, very cool with carbon fiber. Masterpiece... not so much, but cool for sure.

Not trying to bash them at all so don't take it that way, I will just speak facts. I really like the look, but would never do Carbon Fiber around a battery cell-pack being CF conducts electricity. If any crash and piercing of the battery case into the battery and you will have a glowing red hot battery case if the cells make contact with the Carbon Fiber.. Braille does their CF around their plastic case which is better because its not in direct potential contact with the CF. Additionally LiteBox is are using a sort of "long in the tooth cell" that is called the A123 26650 Cells... we used them about 2.5 years ago. There were ok but they were not stable after an overcharge or over-discharge. A123 was in big with the Fisker electric cars and went bankrupt around that time also... then a Chinese company bought them. Its a decent cell no doubt but has been surpassed on stability and resilience. But not really cutting edge anymore, nor as stable as the more modern cells are since they were developed in 2009 and only had one change in 2011 to make for a little more capacity.

We tried some tests on Bluetooth on/off capability. Turns out, at the time we tried it, early last year... we had a couple failures and could NOT get the battery "on" again because the Bluetooth would not pair with, or would not do the operation and the battery just stayed OFF... so I totally bailed on that idea because it was just to complex and the potential for a problem was there. Though I do like the idea overall, I can't trust it yet, but I will keep that option open for later. They might have it figured out, but we felt a "keep it simple" route was the best since we already have an elaborate BMS in there. But I do like that they are pushing the Tech envelope with an App for the battery. But we'll sit that one out another year or two so until we can test for much longer on it. We sell bluetooth Earbuds and sometimes those fail to pair and if it does that and the battery can't turn on at all... your going to have one pissed off customer.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I haven't been on this thread in a while, but wanted to post a video I found that I really like and appreciate that it was made. Because it explains about Parasitic Drains.

I wanted to post this video since earlier we did alot of talking about Parasitic Draws in vehicles. I caught this video the other day from Eric the Car guy and it was REALLY good. I suggest everyone watch it since it really informative. It is actually a little long, and sometimes boring but all his facts and insight are really spot on. And in the end he explains about the modern keys that wake the car up and create a draw on the battery. Anyway, just really solid educational material if you want to know why your car might be draining a battery down quickly, and all this relates to what was discussed at times on this thread and puts it in an easy to digest manner.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Where are these engineered/designed?
Where are the batteries manufactured/assembled?
Where are the cells manufactured?

Thanks
Not sure I ever saw an answer to this. Why I'm asking. I'm due a battery, but, the warranty terms and acceptance of liabilities in the case of a failure are a turn off. Plainly put, I've seen 2 cars roasted from failed LiPo batteries that were due to the battery failure, not charging circuit, not external damage.

We're putting these in $200k cars, I'm curious where they are made and engineered, and the warranty/guarantee you provide.

I found the latter:
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/warranty/
Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure I ever saw an answer to this. Why I'm asking. I'm due a battery, but, the warranty terms and acceptance of liabilities in the case of a failure are a turn off. Plainly put, I've seen 2 cars roasted from failed LiPo batteries that were due to the battery failure, not charging circuit, not external damage.

We're putting these in $200k cars, I'm curious where they are made and engineered, and the warranty/guarantee you provide.

I found the latter:
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/warranty/
Define roasted, so I know if we are talking the same cars....

​​​​​​
Old 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Where are these engineered/designed? Where are the batteries manufactured/assembled?
Where are the cells manufactured?Not sure I ever saw an answer to this. Why I'm asking. I'm due a battery, but, the warranty terms and acceptance of liabilities in the case of a failure are a turn off. Plainly put, I've seen 2 cars roasted from failed LiPo batteries that were due to the battery failure, not charging circuit, not external damage. We're putting these in $200k cars, I'm curious where they are made and engineered, and the warranty/guarantee you provide.
Hey Spy, for any company to make a battery like the RS-30 is a joint effort across multiple manufacturers... We don't make the lithium cell, a Cell maker does, It is up to us to spec which cell we want to use, and the power vs capacity of each cell, we also design the layout of the internals, the performance characteristics, cases etc. Also we dont make/ design the Battery Management System, we spec the workings of it, but that is not the manufacture or overall design. We leave that aspect to the professional manufacturers of BMSs who do this type of design for us after we give them our parameters. Our Cell maker is in China, as are all of them now. The BMS is made in China as are most Circuit boards. So that is what I can tell you. The fact is country of assembly/manufacture is mostly irrelevant, the reality is, it is the COMPANIES you choose to manufacture your components for the products that is important. So we use the top companies that supply companies much larger than ourselves, and who work for other worldwide producers of quality battery products. We are a niche in Motorsports Batteries, and there are large manufacturers doing much more elaborate batteries than we do. So we use those that have been doing this for other World Class systems for years.

You also mention seeing 2 cars ROASTED by Lipo batteries. So that is sort of broad statement being you didn't discuss the brand, or the circumstances yet you said it wasn't the charging system? I would need more information on the incidents to make any determination. You also state they were LiPo batteries but I think maybe you are misquoting since no one should use a Lithium Polymer battery anyway. The RS-30 is NOT a Lipo Battery. Lipo is Lithium Polymer which is a much more unstable battery and should not be used in a car... but maybe you mean it was Lifepo4 Battery (like the RS-30 is)? And absolutely you can trigger a thermal runaway in an older style Lifepo4 battery without protections, but the RS-30 has a bunch of built-in protections that previous batteries do not and many manufacturers still have not put in. Yet we have.

But also note, there has to be certain things done to it to get a Lithium Battery to the point of going into a melt down (Thermal Runaway) ... it doesn't just "happen out of the blue" though it might seem like it, but again most of the lithium batteries on the market DO NOT HAVE the protections built into the RS-30... So you have to express more detail of the scenario of the guys who's cars "got roasted". Perhaps they might have a brand without protections, perhaps they might have done something that might have increased the chances of Thermal Runaway? I don't know, but there has been a lot of misinformation from all sides on Lithium, which I tried to address in most of this thread. I will try to find those. But most often there is a set of circumstances that led the battery to get to a point of going into Thermal Runaway, the RS-30 can't really get there.

Keep in mind your peace of mind is most important. If you aren't there yet with this technology then don't go this route. You don't want to be second guessing it always. I can say we have NEVER had any RS-20/30 ever go into anything like thermal runaway.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:49 PM
ilario
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have trouble making the order I'm in Italy, please help me, thank you
Old 07-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ilario
I have trouble making the order I'm in Italy, please help me, thank you
HI iLario,

The issue is LIthium is considered a Class 9 Dangerous Good.... so we have to ship it a certain way.... We are only doing DHL or FED-EX now (its expensive, roughly $300+ dollars) but some countries are not allowing in certain types of Lithium.... but honestly we shipped alot to Italy, for the Motorcycles Batteries, so I don't think that is one of the Countries that has any bans.

Send me an email at scott@antigravittybatteries.com

scott
Old 08-04-2018, 04:35 AM
jujak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the group buy still available? I am interested in getting a battery/mount/charger for my 991.1 GT3rs. Also those who have used the RS30 battery. What are your reviews and experiences with the battery?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:44 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,004 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Hey Spy, for any company to make a battery like the RS-30 is a joint effort across multiple manufacturers... We don't make the lithium cell, a Cell maker does, It is up to us to spec which cell we want to use, and the power vs capacity of each cell, we also design the layout of the internals, the performance characteristics, cases etc. Also we dont make/ design the Battery Management System, we spec the workings of it, but that is not the manufacture or overall design. We leave that aspect to the professional manufacturers of BMSs who do this type of design for us after we give them our parameters. Our Cell maker is in China, as are all of them now. The BMS is made in China as are most Circuit boards. So that is what I can tell you. The fact is country of assembly/manufacture is mostly irrelevant, the reality is, it is the COMPANIES you choose to manufacture your components for the products that is important. So we use the top companies that supply companies much larger than ourselves, and who work for other worldwide producers of quality battery products. We are a niche in Motorsports Batteries, and there are large manufacturers doing much more elaborate batteries than we do. So we use those that have been doing this for other World Class systems for years.

You also mention seeing 2 cars ROASTED by Lipo batteries. So that is sort of broad statement being you didn't discuss the brand, or the circumstances yet you said it wasn't the charging system? I would need more information on the incidents to make any determination. You also state they were LiPo batteries but I think maybe you are misquoting since no one should use a Lithium Polymer battery anyway. The RS-30 is NOT a Lipo Battery. Lipo is Lithium Polymer which is a much more unstable battery and should not be used in a car... but maybe you mean it was Lifepo4 Battery (like the RS-30 is)? And absolutely you can trigger a thermal runaway in an older style Lifepo4 battery without protections, but the RS-30 has a bunch of built-in protections that previous batteries do not and many manufacturers still have not put in. Yet we have.

But also note, there has to be certain things done to it to get a Lithium Battery to the point of going into a melt down (Thermal Runaway) ... it doesn't just "happen out of the blue" though it might seem like it, but again most of the lithium batteries on the market DO NOT HAVE the protections built into the RS-30... So you have to express more detail of the scenario of the guys who's cars "got roasted". Perhaps they might have a brand without protections, perhaps they might have done something that might have increased the chances of Thermal Runaway? I don't know, but there has been a lot of misinformation from all sides on Lithium, which I tried to address in most of this thread. I will try to find those. But most often there is a set of circumstances that led the battery to get to a point of going into Thermal Runaway, the RS-30 can't really get there.

Keep in mind your peace of mind is most important. If you aren't there yet with this technology then don't go this route. You don't want to be second guessing it always. I can say we have NEVER had any RS-20/30 ever go into anything like thermal runaway.
One of the cars that Spy speaks of is the black Cayman track car that went up in flames when the Braille I48CE that was on a Braille charger exploded and caught the car on fire overnight.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
One of the cars that Spy speaks of is the black Cayman track car that went up in flames when the Braille I48CE that was on a Braille charger exploded and caught the car on fire overnight.
Call them lithium i know car use lithium iron.
Fking tragic
anyone want a Braille?
other was Porsche OEM lion offered w the 997.2 cars. Car in garage. Not on a charger. OEM installed.
They should all,have protections, but, as Tesla, Samsung, the occasional iPhone demonstrate... lithium thermal runaway is real and well, not always preventable. Lots of energy density in these.
So i would never say never.
Question is. Does maker have your back?

Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

what happened with Porsche OEM lithium battery? fire?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:32 PM
LKS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been working with Scott and his team at Antigravity to find a way to export one of their lithium batteries to South Africa.
We seem to have hit a dead end!
If anyone has any idea how to get this done please let me know because it has become extremely frustrating!!
There has to be a way.....
Thanks,
Lawrence
Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^Can they do it from Europe??

If so, have them send it to a Rennlister in Europe who can forward it to you

Quick Reply: Light Weight Battery for .2 GT3???