Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Connected Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM
JanStuart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Track mode the McLaren 570s shows pressure and temperature on the display. We all know how important the pressure is, and I look at the temperature as a relative value. After a run the tires will tell their story anyway.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

This is indeed interesting. TPMS measure both pressure and temperature, even Porsche TPMS, Porsche just chose not to display that temperature, but they take it into account when recommending how much air to add or remove from the tire. I can see why Porsche chose to not display TPMS temp reading because it's air temp and not tread temp, so it's kind of misleading and not particularly relevant when you know the pressure.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

this is very very cool. most of the time we're just guessing how much pressure to remove.. this is taking a critical area of the car's performance envelope, and turning it from a guessing game into science. better for wear, performance, safety.. Ferrari already offers something like standard.. but now to be able to do this in any car.. A-MAZING. game changer.. i know what tires i'm buying next.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
most of the time we're just guessing how much pressure to remove...
What do you mean by that? If you use the pressure gauge to check tire pressure, you know exactly what the pressure is, so you know how much to remove to hit the desired PSI. Or did you mean that the desired PSI was not always clear?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by astolfor
Originally Posted by GrantG
Agree

I guess it would be even more useful if each tire had 3 sensors (inside shoulder, center, outside shoulder), but that might be expensive to implement.
does not need 3 sensors, the temperature gradient on each filament gives (to the best of my knowledge) temp across the entire surface/with of the tire not just one spot.
I am not a mechanical engineer so I apologize for the drawing, but it looks like something like this
I can't see imbedded filaments in one section of the tire inductively read through the sensor based on what was shown in that video including actual location. Also what wasn't clear to me is whether the tires can be moved side to side to help with wear equalization after the sensors were installed and set up (Michelin mentions that only the authorized and trained installer can do a setup - see Hams955's link and the FAQ within) since IMHO opinion its too easy, in the heat of the moment, to misread the display (remember that on some cars the TPMS has to be programmed for each tire location).
What about secure mounting so that it doesn't come loose within the tire/wheel combo after running over kerbs or mowing grass (tire flex).

A lot of questions will still have to be addressed for me to commit to only running that tire on track.

P.S.
Murphy's law states if there is a way for a screw or nail to find that sensor location on first try it will.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
What do you mean by that? If you use the pressure gauge to check tire pressure, you know exactly what the pressure is, so you know how much to remove to hit the desired PSI. Or did you mean that the desired PSI was not always clear?
Yea I mean how much is the exact psi to remove. I'm sure I lack knowledge... but I see people give differing answers in same scenarios, which leads me to believe nobody really knows. So unless you are good enough to trial and error based on lap times, putting a pyro on the tire, etc... having a device which tells you exactly how much is a fantastic improvement.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ExMB;14914524]I can't see imbedded filaments in one section of the tire inductively read through the sensor based on what was shown in that video including actual location.QUOTE]

I have experience with similar layouts in sailboats, in AC, TP2, VDG, VOR, ORMA, IMOCA etc..
We lay fiber optics in between the carbon layers and we measure (based among other things on resistance and db loss) torsion, compression, expansion, and temperature. in the sailing and aircraft this has been done for years. We had between 100 and 600 strands (fibers) in each run. here we are talking 5 if I understood correctly/ BTW I have no horse or donkey in this race.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by astolfor
Originally Posted by ExMB
I can't see imbedded filaments in one section of the tire inductively read through the sensor based on what was shown in that video including actual location.
I have experience with similar layouts in sailboats, in AC, TP2, VDG, VOR, ORMA, IMOCA etc..
We lay fiber optics in between the carbon layers and we measure (based among other things on resistance and db loss) torsion, compression, expansion, and temperature. in the sailing and aircraft this has been done for years. We had between 100 and 600 strands (fibers) in each run. here we are talking 5 if I understood correctly/ BTW I have no horse or donkey in this race.
I'm not sure what aircraft you are talking about but if you are talking about instrumenting during design phase versus production and equate you are at the deep end IMHO. Even if you used fiber optics you would still need to terminate to sensors of sorts since fiber optics will not do what you imply.
Anyway, those are virtually inflexible structures compared to a tire. You cannot translate between these two and make statements that to those unfamiliar sound authoritative.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:02 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I'm not sure what aircraft you are talking about but if you are talking about instrumenting during design phase versus production and equate you are at the deep end IMHO. Even if you used fiber optics you would still need to terminate to sensors of sorts since fiber optics will not do what you imply.
Anyway, those are virtually inflexible structures compared to a tire. You cannot translate between these two and make statements that to those unfamiliar sound authoritative.
If you say so. LOL
I guess that I (and a lot of other designers and engineers) have been in a deep end helping to design winning boats and measuring all kinds forces in sailboat hulls using fiber optics (not the one you would use as a carrier) for about 10 years. But I am not going to get into a dissertation in a web forum.
Unsubscribed
Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 AM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys don't over think this lol... By guessing, I'm saying without this device you have to try out different pressures until you find that sweet spot. You could just use a rule of thumb setting like most of us do including me for the most part but it really varies based on conditions. 60 degrees and wet vs 90 degrees and sunny will produce very different results with the same pressure. Also 20 minute or 40 minute session? More left turns or more right turns? This device and app while in its infancy seems to be a key for optimal tire performance that goes past any manufacturers system in a road car.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:12 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by getoffmylawn
Guys don't over think this lol... By guessing, I'm saying without this device you have to try out different pressures until you find that sweet spot. You could just use a rule of thumb setting like most of us do including me for the most part but it really varies based on conditions. 60 degrees and wet vs 90 degrees and sunny will produce very different results with the same pressure. Also 20 minute or 40 minute session? More left turns or more right turns? This device and app while in its infancy seems to be a key for optimal tire performance that goes past any manufacturers system in a road car.
this is what I was trying to say. how many people can tell that the rears or the fronts or left/right needs an exact pressure reduction of X amount.. this way one can see this info easily and immediately. it's a compelling piece of technology which makes which tires to buy a "no brainer" for me in future.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:00 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Quick Reply: Michelin Connected Tires