Sponsored by:

Michelin Connected Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:57 PM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Connected Tires

Looks like Michelin is engineering a lot into this, even down to the phone mount. Is this the future way to achieve the best pressure for track?
Old 04-01-2018, 03:16 AM
Impi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome technology for road and track - no doibt other main manufacturers will follow suit. Wonder if it impacts the weight distribution of the tyre?
Old 04-01-2018, 05:20 AM
Throttlesteerer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Incredible how some people go to such great lengths to produce an April fools hoax...
Old 04-01-2018, 04:35 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

That's real. I got invited to it but had to bail due to sick kids at home.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or perhaps Porsche could move to the correct decade and include temperature along with tyre pressure like Mclaren and Ferrari. it's bizarre why they haven't seen fit to include it.

The app it doesn't seem from the Michelin website (can't bear to watch the video) to include tyre temp across the surface of the tyre but merely a single point so not going to replace tyre pyrometers anytime soon either?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:31 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Or perhaps Porsche could move to the correct decade and include temperature along with tyre pressure like Mclaren and Ferrari. it's bizarre why they haven't seen fit to include it.

The app it doesn't seem from the Michelin website (can't bear to watch the video) to include tyre temp across the surface of the tyre but merely a single point so not going to replace tyre pyrometers anytime soon either?
I think even BMW has temp. The problem with pyrometers is you have to be parked to use them. That means the tires have cooled a bunch by the time you measure them (still some value in relative temps across the tread) or you try to come right into the pits off a hot lap (without a cool-down lap) and do bad things to your brakes (like vaporize the piston dust seals, turn Red calipers Orange-Brown, etc.)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think even BMW has temp. The problem with pyrometers is you have to be parked to use them. That means the tires have cooled a bunch by the time you measure them (still some value in relative temps across the tread) or you try to come right into the pits off a hot lap (without a cool-down lap) and do bad things to your brakes (like vaporize the piston dust seals, turn Red calipers Orange-Brown, etc.)
agreed but pyros are the only way you can test tyre temps across the tyre to be sure the tyre is working properly. To be fair, that's going a bit far imo given most people aren't going to be needing to get to that level of precision and it's much more relevant only when actually racing.

The app only seems to provide a single point temp. Ok it's better than what Porsche currently offer ie nothing but it's really is just offering something that Porsche should have included long ago with their existing tpms and everyone else who makes sports cars seem to have little trouble including.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.michelin.co.uk/about/track-connect

Indicates available in the USA in 2019.

Neat stuff.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:11 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttlesteerer
Incredible how some people go to such great lengths to produce an April fools hoax...
April fools? Really I guess my brother's 488 in Spain is running on imaginary tires....
Old 04-02-2018, 12:22 PM
astolfor
Instructor

Originally Posted by isv

"all/most" sensors transmit temp, Porsche's just chooses not to include it for some reason.

There are 5 filaments (1-1.5 mm estimating by looking at it) that run across the tire at the anchoring point and contact the bottom of the sensor. These filaments sense temps across and the sensor picks each filament temp. This is pretty significant area. The same tech we used in Artemis in the last AC to measure pressure, surface temp, compression, expansion and flex across the foils.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
The app only seems to provide a single point temp. Ok it's better than what Porsche currently offer ie nothing but it's really is just offering something that Porsche should have included long ago with their existing tpms and everyone else who makes sports cars seem to have little trouble including.

Agree

I guess it would be even more useful if each tire had 3 sensors (inside shoulder, center, outside shoulder), but that might be expensive to implement.

And this app is not really intended to help get camber/alignment right - it's more just about getting real-time hot pressure right with a known target value for a specific car (in stock trim)...

If the included timer function incorporates HD Video from the phone, it could replace something like Harry's Lap Timer and adds in the useful tire info in real time...
Old 04-02-2018, 01:35 PM
astolfor
Instructor

[QUOTE=GrantG;14913279]Agree

I guess it would be even more useful if each tire had 3 sensors (inside shoulder, center, outside shoulder), but that might be expensive to implement.
QUOTE]
does not need 3 sensors, the temperature gradient on each filament gives (to the best of my knowledge) temp across the entire surface/with of the tire not just one spot.
I am not a mechanical engineer so I apologize for the drawing, but it looks like something like this
Old 04-02-2018, 01:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by astolfor
does not need 3 sensors, the temperature gradient on each filament gives (to the best of my knowledge) temp across the entire surface/with of the tire not just one spot.
I am not a mechanical engineer so I apologize for the drawing, but it looks like something like this
Oh, that is very cool

That really does sound like an improvement over all other TPMS systems that include temp - seem like you really need the tire to be modified as well to provide this function. Glad my car is one of the ones where this is available...
Old 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM
getoffmylawn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is real! The video is worth a full view... All about achieving maximum contact. Sure beats jumping out of the car after sessions and manually checking and guessing each tire. I see some guys logging temperate too its a job to run through it all and calculate where you benefit, especially tailored to every different track layout which calls for slightly different setups. All the data will be right on your phone and based on conditions and how your driving it will suggest pressure for maximum performance. I don't think we can beat the computer on this one.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by getoffmylawn
This is real! The video is worth a full view... All about achieving maximum contact. Sure beats jumping out of the car after sessions and manually checking and guessing each tire. I see some guys logging temperate too its a job to run through it all and calculate where you benefit, especially tailored to every different track layout which calls for slightly different setups. All the data will be right on your phone and based on conditions and how your driving it will suggest pressure for maximum performance. I don't think we can beat the computer on this one.
I could see using these to dial in a setup, then use the regular tires once everything is stable.

Quick Reply: Michelin Connected Tires