Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car seat/booster in the carbon bucket

Anyone done this? Front facing...

Is it possible? Safe?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:27 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have one and put my kids in the front seat all the time. It’s safe and the airbag is off when we do it. It’s a booster seat that is shaped like a mini fixed race seat.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Out of like 10 child seats (15-36kg) only one fit in my GT3 properly. By saying properly I mean in a way that a child seated in it is protected.

Equally important is also that you MUST install passenger airbag deactivation switch. It's OEM part and dealer installed that for me before car's delivery. Otherwise I wouldn't dare to risk health of my child.

And if you think that a booster will make it any safer check this video (in a side impact your child is basically dead as side airbags are not set for children):

Only a proper full seat and airbag deactivation switch can make your child travel "safely".
Old 03-30-2018, 02:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts

What does your manual say? My GT4 manual states Do not use child restraint systems in full bucket seats.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:25 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

My GT3 manual says the same. The reason is that GT3/4 doesn't come from the factory with pax airbag deactivation switch. I also recon that buckets have not been tested with child seats so for legal reasons they state you can't put child seat there.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:29 PM
dwishen
Advanced

thanks, all. looks like i'd need to keep a second car for a bit
Old 04-01-2018, 11:46 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

My Viper deactivates automatically based on weight, no switch needed. And there's a light confirming when it's deactivated. Are Porsche not the same? I figured that was a law. I take my two year old for drives all the time.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:59 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 408 Posts

^ It is the same with all cars with LWB. Some misinformation in this thread. They are required to have an occupancy sensor and sense if weight of the passenger isn't sufficient for the bag to deploy and deactivates it. You will see the same light referred to above. I used a booster for our kids for a couple of years without any issue.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:52 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by signes
^ It is the same with all cars with LWB. Some misinformation in this thread. They are required to have an occupancy sensor and sense if weight of the passenger isn't sufficient for the bag to deploy and deactivates it. You will see the same light referred to above. I used a booster for our kids for a couple of years without any issue.
What is misinformation is that the weight sensor is to serve child seat. It is not. It is to not deploy an airbag when it is unnecessary. You can even ride your kid on a roof and say it is safe if you want.
Just don't sell information that might result in a bad consequences for some little ones.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:56 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dwishen
Anyone done this? Front facing...

Is it possible? Safe?
Yes, my brother has one that fits in his buckets. Does it all the time. His kids are 3 and 5.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:32 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
What is misinformation is that the weight sensor is to serve child seat. It is not. It is to not deploy an airbag when it is unnecessary. You can even ride your kid on a roof and say it is safe if you want.
Just don't sell information that might result in a bad consequences for some little ones.
The airbag sensor in the passenger seat is to turn off the airbag if the passenger is under a certain weight (108lbs I think). This includes light weight adults and teenagers. Small adults
and teenagers can be injured by the airbag. A benefit is the airbag won't go off in a crash if someone is not in the seat, but that's not the intended purpose.

A booster seat is the best option for kids riding in the front, however the much better option is riding in the back.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:30 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 408 Posts

I never said it was specifically for a child seat but it does in fact turn off the bag if the weight in the seat (whatever it is) is below a certain threshold (can't recall the exact figure.)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 PM
BillS
Track Day

Some more good info and prior discussion on the topic in these threads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ce-needed.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-children.html
Old 04-01-2018, 06:15 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by manitou202
The airbag sensor in the passenger seat is to turn off the airbag if the passenger is under a certain weight (108lbs I think). This includes light weight adults and teenagers. Small adults
and teenagers can be injured by the airbag. A benefit is the airbag won't go off in a crash if someone is not in the seat, but that's not the intended purpose.

A booster seat is the best option for kids riding in the front, however the much better option is riding in the back.
And the airbag deactivation switch in all other cars that allow to carry child seat on the front seat is for what? And those big yellow stickers on sun visors?

If it happens that you have a car accident in GT3 and airbag crashes your child’s hip and legs only blame yourself.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

And the airbag deactivation switch in all other cars that allow to carry child seat on the front seat is for what? And those big yellow stickers on sun visors?

If it happens that you have a car accident in GT3 and airbag crashes your child’s hip and legs only blame yourself.
Serious question - what's the difference in risk between the rear seat airbags and front airbags in modern cars? In the Macan as an example they're on the rear seat right next to where my son's head would be. Similar placement to the seat airbags in the LWBs.

Quick Reply: Car seat/booster in the carbon bucket