Sponsored by:

Long term 991.1 GT3 ownership out of CPO factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Long term 991.1 GT3 ownership out of CPO factory warranty

I have tried to ignore my desire for the GT3 as long as possible, telling myself a variety of reasons not to get one. However, I want one and the .1 GT3s are in a price range I am willing to pay. Specifically some of the 2014 and 2015 models, some with higher mileage than others.

I looked for answers to potential long term ownership costs on Google and on this forum but could not find anything that really told me what I wanted to know.

While my track record for keeping a car a long time is not all that good..hahaha..I plan to keep this one and some of the cars I am looking at are out of factory warranty. I am hoping I will be like one of those guys featured in Panorama that kept their 911 GT3 for 20 years. Perhaps that is wishful thinking.

I know about the finger follower issue and the longer engine warranty on this specific defect now offered by Porsche.

Still not sure about long term ownership of PCCBs. They sound expensive for long term ownership or maybe I am looking at it the wrong way. Maybe I am just afraid of dealing with them.

However, what I want to know is what are the general long term ownership costs of this car. I am fairly handy with oil and filter changes, brake pad changes, etc. I have even accepted the stupid center lock wheel situation which I believe is an answer to a problem that does not exist. The GT3 comes with them so be it.

I do plan to track the car a couple of times a year, but not hardcore tracking or racing. Just the occasional DE.

How much less expensive is a good independent repair shop than the dealer?

What big long term expenses am I in for? Anybody experience long term ownership of an older GT car? Is it a fools errand?

Somebody is keeping these things, the difference is though that like Robmypro I plan to drive mine. I will not have if I cannot drive it and enjoy it. Heck I put 10k miles on my 17 C2S in a year.

All comments, even the sarcastic ones are welcomed.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DIY oil change kit = $164,
DIY iron pfc brake pads = $424/axle,
Cup2 tires x4 = $1823
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Driven991
Racer

Thanks Cormid. That's not too bad.

Considered going with MPSS for a more daily driver friendly tire.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 155 Posts

PCCBs will likely last the life of the car with one or two mild DE days per year. I will always spec them on my cars going forward.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 PM
MBDark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
Thanks Cormid. That's not too bad.

Considered going with MPSS for a more daily driver friendly tire.
I have got 18k miles out of a set of street only driven Cup2's twice now.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:58 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 383 Posts

I would suggest that no one knows yet how the 991 gen cars will fair in the long term. The car carries more tech than the 997's so there are increased failure points to consider. Aside from the engine issues, GT cars tend to be pretty robust. To be prudent, I would set aside a healthy mainenance allowance as any repair on these cars tends to be expensive. You may never have anything break. Then again, 2 months out of warranty you could have a failure that requires an engine out repair. I tend to plan conservatively in that respect so as not to be surprised. YMMV.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

The 10 year 120,000 mile warranty covers all internals, not just for finger follower related failures. Just an FYI.

PCCB's on street driving are probably good for 80-100k miles. Then you can use standard PCCB calipers and put in regular rotars and save a ton. So pccb's are not really too bad. By the time you need a new set other options will probably be available. You can save a ton if you do the maintenance yourself. These cars are super easy to work on. But no guarantee the PDK doesn't blow up out of warranty, and they are expensive ($20k I think). So owning a car like this could get expensive out of warranty.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:14 PM
Driven991
Racer

All,

Thanks for your comments and information. I guess anytime you buy a car you take a chance on something major blowing up. Hate for it to happen right out of the gate with no warranty. Maybe it is worth a little more money for CPO.

Appreciate the info on the PCCBs . Couple of nice cars I've looked at have them.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the issue that is the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the transmission. I don't know the cost of replacement for the PDK-S but the standard PDK is in the neighborhood of $25k. These units are plug and play and cannot be repaired. I have heard of no failures other than shortly after being driven. No one knows hows these units will hold up, but its something that should be part of the decision tree.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:31 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 293 Posts

Also consider that approaching the 80 to 100k mi range suspension components, engine/trans mounts, CV boots, etc. may need attention. This is the case for any Porsche (seems like there is always something needed on my 14 yr old Boxster) but the GT cars will no doubt be more costly to maintain. The RWS mechanism is an unknown but so far have not heard of issues. Can't recall the intervals but at higher mileage the PDK oil change is due. Spark plugs every 2 years. If only visiting a track a few times a year it will be a long time before the hub/ wheel bearings/ Centerlock nuts will be due. Finding a good indy shop is worthwhile long term. In my experience a good shop is only slightly cheaper on shop rates. The value is in knowledge and diagnosing problems and fixing what's needed. Frankly I've seen some sketchy stuff from dealer service.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I think the issue that is the 800 lb gorilla in the room is the transmission. I don't know the cost of replacement for the PDK-S but the standard PDK is in the neighborhood of $25k. These units are plug and play and cannot be repaired. I have heard of no failures other than shortly after being driven. No one knows hows these units will hold up, but its something that should be part of the decision tree.
I remember reading somewhere that PDK’s can be worked on, and that shops are starting to repair them. I would expect that to happen if these blow up with any regularity. Or just retrofit the car with a manual.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

I remember reading somewhere that PDK’s can be worked on, and that shops are starting to repair them. I would expect that to happen if these blow up with any regularity. Or just retrofit the car with a manual.
That would be great, but as I understand it there are NO parts that can be obtained from the OEM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Apex Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 117 Posts

Get the car and crank Rush tunes all day long! Great song choice! One of my favorites!

Dave
Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
That would be great, but as I understand it there are NO parts that can be obtained from the OEM.
If i can find the source i will provide it. But at the price of a new PDK, if they do start going out, i expect a cottage industry to form. Just about any part can be replicated by a third party. Somebody will do it, if there is a market.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (08-30-2020)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Driven991
Racer

Heard a few people complain about PDKs going pop but not too much otherwise. 25K to replace is not cheap.

Appreciate the info on Indy shop prices. Would also need to find a local one I trust.

Quick Reply: Long term 991.1 GT3 ownership out of CPO factory warranty