Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else a little underwhelmed by the new GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
So this makes me wonder... how many people here own a .1 GT3 RS, how many of those want to "move on" and what are the reasons for wanting to move on?

And anyone interested in owning a RS and not getting a .1 RS surely can't be disappointed if the .2 is "only" as good as the .1 they wanted?

And anyone else not owning/not planning to own a RS is disappointed because?

Just curious!
Me. I also adore my RS and it provides more performance than I can fully use but I love the WP option.

If if I can get an allocation at MSRP I’m torn between black and salmon..I mean Lava with WP
Old 03-10-2018, 09:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

The .2GT3 was a much bigger upgrade from the .1GT3 than the .2RS is from the .1RS. That being said, If I can get an allocation for MSRP I'll get it.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's face it, if your not a Porsche enthusiast it all kind of looks the same. The 911 has not radically changed in shape, or core style. Kind of why the .2 RS drew the yawn at Geneva while Ferrari and McLaran garnered much more attention. Its like the press said, nothing really new here...keep moving. Accolades had already been given to the new powerplant with the launch of the .2 GT3. 20 more horses is not going to get people going.

We get the difference as Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:17 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Isn't there also less drivetrain loss with the engine out back, as opposed to up front?

So a 100 hp rear engine car is probably "more 100 hp" than a 100 hp front engine car.
Yes - rear engine has less drivetrain loss
Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Joemat
Let's face it, if your not a Porsche enthusiast it all kind of looks the same. The 911 has not radically changed in shape, or core style. Kind of why the .2 RS drew the yawn at Geneva while Ferrari and McLaran garnered much more attention. Its like the press said, nothing really new here...keep moving. Accolades had already been given to the new powerplant with the launch of the .2 GT3. 20 more horses is not going to get people going.

We get the difference as Porsche enthusiasts.
Bingo! PAG has us chasing 5 seconds here, 10 seconds there etc of improved Ring times garnered by master Ring aces we can never hope to duplicate. Who here can run a 7:20 on old gen mpsc in damp conditions in their .1RS at the Ring? I’m out. Any hands? When you think about that time in context of the conditions it was set and tires used that’s f’n fast!

Better tires and similar hardcore suspension on a .1RS will get you to 7:09. Manthey .1RS. Give it another 15 hp at the rear wheel over a fast 7 mile course and you might crack 7:00. This without context looks way faster than the old .1RS 7:20 time when in reality it’s time in stock form in good conditions is in the same 7:12 ballpark as the .2GT3.

In the end these are street cars that will see varying degrees of track use by amateurs in non race controlled settings broken down by skill/experience classes providing more performance than most owners can ever harness/use in stock form. Hardcore track owners make mods anyway to alignment, tires,suspension and power moving cars beyond stock performance.

Sampelligrino is correct. For most it about the emotion and pleasure the car gives you when you get the chance to take it out. Any GT3 or Gt3RS gives that to you in spades.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-11-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:00 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 786
definitely underwhelmed. i don't see why guys with a 991.1 3RS would really feel compelled to move on. hasn't moved the goal posts imo.
Performance aside because we don't know numbers - 488P show cars had over 100 - 125k options over base 1/2 the price of an RS.

Porsche showing a low msrp vs loaded up mistress is actually a breath of fresh air.

Own the .1 would like .2

488P allocation that would cost me 425 - 450k who knows when delivery over priced and I question how many guys are going to feel differently that don't get the real limited F cars when they see 3 - 4000 488P's.

The RS holds value turbo cars IMO will not - starting to be a fan and looking forward to spending track time with the RS.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Performance aside because we don't know numbers - 488P show cars had over 100 - 125k options over base 1/2 the price of an RS.

Porsche showing a low msrp vs loaded up mistress is actually a breath of fresh air.

Own the .1 would like .2

488P allocation that would cost me 425 - 450k who knows when delivery over priced and I question how many guys are going to feel differently that don't get the real limited F cars when they see 3 - 4000 488P's.

The RS holds value turbo cars IMO will not - starting to be a fan and looking forward to spending track time with the RS.
+1. Agree.
Would love an allocation on a .2GT3RS. Love love love the WP!!!!
Will spec around $220K. WP, PCCB, lift, white dials, yellow belts. Just can't decide between LO and Black.
Guys, if I get one please no one get in LO. I will volunteer to be the only one with a Salmon colored RS!
Old 03-11-2018, 01:51 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
+1. Agree.
Will spec around $220K. WP, PCCB, lift, white dials, yellow belts. Just can't decide between LO and Black.
Guys, if I get one please no one get in LO. I will volunteer to be the only one with a Salmon colored RS!
Me too - my .1 18ways wife loves it and will hate the .2 track rat spec.

Keep in mind the colors that were undesirable years ago when ordered are the most desirable now.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts

+1. Agree.
I have a new GT3 and hoping to get a WP RS early next as i love the Titanium cage and Mag rims..I really love the Lizard but am unsure whether this colour complements the naked Carbon fibre..LO will probably complement the c/f nicely and Black also if you like the understated mean look.
What puts me off black is it is unfortunately a poor quality soft paint which means whole ppf and plenty of regular TLC...
Old 03-11-2018, 02:40 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Yep this is a horrible car. Lousy upgrades and not nearly as awesome as the .2 GT3 and especially the Touring. Everyone should be buying those and skip right past this car. Buy them even if the ADM’s are high. Spread the word, horrible, horrible horrible.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Yep this is a horrible car. Lousy upgrades and not nearly as awesome as the .2 GT3 and especially the Touring. Everyone should be buying those and skip right past this car. Buy them even if the ADM’s are high. Spread the word, horrible, horrible horrible.
LOL. Yup...and that LO/Salmon...YUCK!!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

LOL. Yup...and that LO/Salmon...YUCK!!!!
It and and the lizard green are the worst colors ever Porsche has come out with. Way to close to signal, no one should get that crappy color.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The .2GT3 was a much bigger upgrade from the .1GT3 than the .2RS is from the .1RS. That being said, If I can get an allocation for MSRP I'll get it.
Why? Both got slightly more hp (25 and 20 - neither is much), both got new engines and gearboxes with less friction, both got more aero (but RS got bigger change) but only the RS got new suspension and improved brake cooling. So RS got all the same changes as GT3 plus a huge change in suspension and slightly more substantially revised aero and brake cooling. Or are you fixating on the number 4.0 not getting changed to a bigger?
Old 03-12-2018, 02:53 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Why? Both got slightly more hp (25 and 20 - neither is much), both got new engines and gearboxes with less friction, both got more aero (but RS got bigger change) but only the RS got new suspension and improved brake cooling. So RS got all the same changes as GT3 plus a huge change in suspension and slightly more substantially revised aero and brake cooling. Or are you fixating on the number 4.0 not getting changed to a bigger?
Well the GT3 went from a 3.8L engine to a 4.0L engine (the .1GT3 had a different engine that the .1RS in my eyes but on the .2 versions the engine seems to be the same) and the biggest thing of all a manual transmission option (GT3 and Touring). If the .2GT3 was PDK only I would have zero interest in it but the manual had me at hello.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Well the GT3 went from a 3.8L engine to a 4.0L engine (the .1GT3 had a different engine that the .1RS in my eyes but on the .2 versions the engine seems to be the same) and the biggest thing of all a manual transmission option (GT3 and Touring). If the .2GT3 was PDK only I would have zero interest in it but the manual had me at hello.
Yeah, manual makes sense. On the engine - they both get the same engine now, for any practical purposes, but both got pretty good updates.

Quick Reply: Anyone else a little underwhelmed by the new GT3RS?