Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else a little underwhelmed by the new GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
I think part of this sentiment comes from the fact they delivered so highly with the standard 991.2 gt3. If not for the highly publicized engine failures with the 3.8 in the .1gt3 there could very well have been a slightly upgraded version of that engine in the 991.2 gt3 instead of the current 4.0 in that car. If that happened and the current .2 gt3 had an upgraded 3.8, this current version of the 4.0 in the .2 RS would seem like more of an upgrade than it seems now. Porsche just delivered so highly with the standard .2 gt3 that the RS doesn't seem like that much more if you are just reading about it (like most of us will be). Also you can't help but wonder if Porsche has done just about all it can do (ie. perfection or near perfection) with these cars. I would not be disappointed if future iterations were not as evolutionary as they have been up until now and the 992 wasn't that much different. Just the fact that they continue to build these cars the way they do will allow more people to enjoy and increase the chances that everyone who wants one can have one at or near MSRP.
I think the GT3 having basically the same awesome motor as the RS is the usual protocol. The 991.1 RS was the unusual one having a higher displacement than the GT3 (possibly due to 3.8L engine issues). Usually only the limited special editions (like 997 RS 4.0) have more displacement than GT3...

Its normal to increase GT3 displacement at facelift like 997 (but in this case the changes were more dramatic due to 3.8L issues)...
Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I bet the car comes out and demolishes the .1's lap time everywhere and then all the complaining stops. The sum of the parts is likely to be more than the stat sheet implies.
Especially with the Weissach Pack.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

If these cars continue to be offered for years, and more or less stay about the same, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. If near perfection has been reached for a particular niche, you don't have to make changes just to make things 'new'.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

Evolution not revolution, in line with Porsche's approach (especially for a .2 mid-cycle refresh of an already incredible car). The buzz will skyrocket once Porsche announces the .2 GT3RS' Ring time...I hope I have an allocation before then as the frenzy will likely be manic!!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:11 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

^^ Agree. Evolution and incremental improvements are typically what we see in these mid cycle refreshes. Also, we are so use to information coming out ahead of launch as well as what we know and have experienced with .2 GT3, it all becomes anticlimactic. I don't believe we'll ever be blown away or surprised with what Porsche introduces. Don't get me wrong as I'd love to be. I think the Wow factor comes with the GT2 RS IMO. I'm happy with the .2/RS with what Porsche did with trying to make it more raw. Can't wait to drive it!!
Old 03-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wait track test and you see the car is a big improvement in compare to .1 RS
Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

I would agree with mane here that the .2 RS is an amazing track weapon. The .1RS is also an amazing track weapon. Really not that much difference from an average track rat’s point of view. Perhaps Randy Pobst can extract more out of the .2 RS. Those of us who own a .1 RS should hold on to them cuz there is no real need to spend $45,000 more on the .2 RS. Perhaps that money could be a down payment on .2 GT3 with MT. Best of both worlds. We should let the enthusiasts that don’t have an .1 RS get first bites on the .2 RS.

warm regards,

Raghu
Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

They went further than I expected - a major overhaul of the suspension, with the first race-style suspension in GT family and probably the only one among the comparable mass-produced cars. Also, improved aero puts in above most peers. What else is important for a track car? Engine power is more than sufficient already and would be one of the last priorities on the list. So for a track car, let's say you compare RS to Perfomante - RS is ahead on suspension, total aero, brakes, tire size, and weight. It's only down on engine power, which is definitely more than sufficient to make the car fun (and scary) at the track.

I do want them to go to carbon fiber and shave extra 300-400lbs, but that would be too much to expect from .2 refresh. Even 992 will not get us there, unfortunately.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
The 991.1 RS was such a great car....so I guess big shoes to fill. In watching the video of AP introducing it, it seemed almost like he was straining a bit to make the case. 20 more hp ok. The ducts in the hood are cool. He sort of joked that the rear ducts were there for styling purposes! They did get all the press shots, because it is a 911, and bright green, but it seems to lack a little of the excitement of say the Pista, Performante and 720S. Has this car been taken just about as far as it can go?

Jim
Yes, it sucks.

Don't buy one.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
The 991.1 RS was such a great car....so I guess big shoes to fill. In watching the video of AP introducing it, it seemed almost like he was straining a bit to make the case. 20 more hp ok. The ducts in the hood are cool. He sort of joked that the rear ducts were there for styling purposes! They did get all the press shots, because it is a 911, and bright green, but it seems to lack a little of the excitement of say the Pista, Performante and 720S. Has this car been taken just about as far as it can go?

Jim
Have you owned a .1RS or driven one on the track?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

I would like to get a .2GT3RS if I can get an allocation and don't have to bend over (too much). I love the WP. If they are hard to get (as I predicted) allocations will be tough and ADMs will be crazy (again).

The .1RS values will actually go back up slightly in the above scenario. .1RS will be the better "all arounder" between street and occassional track duty. I can tell you that for me when I put my suspension in "sport" it is too stiff for the street for my taste. My wife agrees.

They just upped the spring rates on the .2RS. Whoopee. No fancy "rose jointed" suspension bits or alloy parts etc...

.1 4.0 is a great lump. Rev's lightening fast imho. With a tune and headers it is a beast. You can get the same power out of a .1RS. They are both 4.0's. Also with BBi's performance suspension kit (new springs, control arms with rose joints) is $7000 and new MPCS and your .1RS is there and beyond.

.1RS Ring time of 7:20 was on the old rubber and in damp conditions.

I would want to see the .1RS and .2RS go same day on the same rubber and same conditions. No doubt the .2RS will be faster but not $100K faster if you don't have a MSRP allocation and nothing that can't be made up time wise with a tune and BBi's track kit.

I just want the WP. Love it. Other than that can muddle along with my Salmon Sloth if no msrp allocation comes my way.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
you people are crazy.
When you look at all new 720 or bumpers aero exhaust from Ferrari and again aero from Performante - Porsche debut taking .2RS to .3RS is what it is which in some ways more is less but not at a new car show with the competition OP references.

Porsche can make the slightest changes like the R and people go spend 4 - 700k for a limited parts bin improved car.

I think competition is good - Porsche will sell every RS before it's produced a little competition is what pushes these factories in today's ez money grab environment.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:43 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't understand why people had such high expectations for a new GT3 RS to be substantially different or offer a giant leap in performance over the predecessor. Or why it would have to compete with the 488 Pista of all cars (the GT2 RS exists too...). I suggest to take a look back at the lineage of Carrera RS, GT3 and GT3 RS.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

When a company builds a damn near perfect product, we aren’t going to fault them when the next one is only a little more perfect.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:18 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

When you look at it in isolation, it's the masterpiece of the Porsche lineup. There is no better Porsche you can buy new today, it's better than GT3 and GT2RS. BUT, there are other cars that have been launched now or not so long ago that make it look very old ! And I think this is why so many people are underwhelmed. Many feel Porsche is falling behind at a faster pace than anticipated !

Quick Reply: Anyone else a little underwhelmed by the new GT3RS?