Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tint/no tint? best brand? interfere with V-1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:24 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I chose Spectra Photosync. The heat rejection is some crazy magic, so you can go very light on the actual tint if you want. It works a bit like the glasses that darken in the sun, but it increases the heat rejection after it is exposed. There's videos somewhere with heat guns that explain it better.

http://prestige-films.com/spectra-photosync/

It's main competitor is 3M Crystaline. From my reserach, the Crystaline is trickier to install (a bit more delicate) but having a good installer should cancel that out. Both of them can give rainbow effects with polarized glasses, but which polarized pattern makes a huge difference. Just take your glasses to the shop to check them out rather than compare what pattern you think you have.

One other thing, the lightest Photosync is basically invisible, so apparently it is very common (though of course illegal most places) to apply it to the front windshield so you get the heat rejection benefit. I didn't get the front done since the car is rarely left outdoors and I'm in Seattle. But having lived places like Florida in the past, I absolutely would do it if I lived somewhere hot.

I did Photosync 45 on mine. It is obviously tinted, but in a classy way. Gives just the right amount of privacy, and from inside it doesn't feel tinted at all. (I've had dark tint in other states before knowing about "good" tint) And after more than 2 years there are no wear/quality issues or any regrets.

Spectra Photosync 45
Old 03-11-2018, 01:04 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Anyone here have experience with Huper Optik 60? Also do you guys tint your windshield *and* protect it with clearplex? Moe says for sensitive eyes could create a bit of distortion to do both, so I'll likely pick one or the other. New to all of this..
Cleaplex is ****.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Cleaplex is ****.
Duly noted. Do you use a different film or protection on the windshield? Never done this stuff before..
Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I chose Spectra Photosync. The heat rejection is some crazy magic, so you can go very light on the actual tint if you want. It works a bit like the glasses that darken in the sun, but it increases the heat rejection after it is exposed. There's videos somewhere with heat guns that explain it better.

http://prestige-films.com/spectra-photosync/

It's main competitor is 3M Crystaline. From my reserach, the Crystaline is trickier to install (a bit more delicate) but having a good installer should cancel that out. Both of them can give rainbow effects with polarized glasses, but which polarized pattern makes a huge difference. Just take your glasses to the shop to check them out rather than compare what pattern you think you have.

One other thing, the lightest Photosync is basically invisible, so apparently it is very common (though of course illegal most places) to apply it to the front windshield so you get the heat rejection benefit. I didn't get the front done since the car is rarely left outdoors and I'm in Seattle. But having lived places like Florida in the past, I absolutely would do it if I lived somewhere hot.

I did Photosync 45 on mine. It is obviously tinted, but in a classy way. Gives just the right amount of privacy, and from inside it doesn't feel tinted at all. (I've had dark tint in other states before knowing about "good" tint) And after more than 2 years there are no wear/quality issues or any regrets.

Spectra Photosync 45
I'll look into this more with my preferred detailer but being in SoCal I think I'll want the front windshield tinted if legal/possible.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Duly noted. Do you use a different film or protection on the windshield? Never done this stuff before..
No.

I just leave it unadorned.

Once enough pockmarks accumulate, I just get a new windshield. I consider it a consumable.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:56 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
No.

I just leave it unadorned.

Once enough pockmarks accumulate, I just get a new windshield. I consider it a consumable.
Ok, I'm sold. Just tint then
Old 03-11-2018, 03:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'm sold. Just tint then
Read up on Clearplex.

My problem with it was, yes, it did protect the windshield from road debris and what-not.

But the problem was that it really wasn't self healing like clearbra, so anytime there was debris that hit the windshield it would leave slight indentations on the Clearplex which trapped dirt and dust and made visibility visibly worse. It also became increasingly difficult to clean as it got more worn and damaged.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

I'll look into this more with my preferred detailer but being in SoCal I think I'll want the front windshield tinted if legal/possible.
I think you'll generally find that it's not legal because of older laws where people would make it dark creating a safety issue. I'm not aware of any other reason for it not to be legal. With these newer tints that are effectively invisible it is grey area--if your windshield does not appear tinted then it is very unlikely to ever come up as a problem.

I'm not a lawyer though. You may have to pay cash or do it off the books, I'm sure you'll learn more as you look into it.

Quick Reply: tint/no tint? best brand? interfere with V-1?