Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS vs 488 Pista

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:05 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Mike
I bought 2, and ordered 2 within the past year at a relatively "small" dealer and wasn't able to get the Pista. I'm first on a secondary list and I'm hoping they can squeeze out one more allocation for me...

I agree with what you're saying about the 488 though. No markup new, huge markup used (for 1/2 years), and then a huge drop off. That's Ferraris pattern. If you aren't lucky enough to squeeze out an allocation you're paying ridiculous premiums. Hell, look at the TDF prices, they are selling for $1,000,000+ now compared to a $500,000 MSRP?
Buying Ferrari's is sort of like a cult and if you race or participate in Pilota etc it's the fast way in then note why so many Challenge cars have almost zero mileage for sale. Buy one and move straight to the front.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 02-23-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
if you race or participate in Pilota etc it's the fast way in then note why so many Challenge cars have almost zero mileage for sale. Buy one and move straight to the front.
or because there are a higher percentage of poseurs just wanting a cool car to show off, and fewer true driving/tracking enthusiasts in the Ferrari world?

Last edited by Drifting; 02-24-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:10 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Prices for limited versions of a 911 always seem to be hitting way above their pay grade.. there is no reason a 996 GT2 RS should cost almost as much as a sublime CarreraGT.. they're not even in the same ballpark.

When it comes to the newer models, I can't even begin to compare the desirability of a 488 Pista to the GT2. If ADM's truly bring them to the same price, that blows my mind. I was talking to a friend today who has multiple allocations for both, and he thinks that Ferrari will make as many Pista's as the market will bear.. where we know Porsche will limit the GT2... so maybe that's it, artificially limited supply?

As much as a manual NA and Porsche fanboy as I am, there is not a chance I would even consider a GT2 with its non-existent sound and frankly normal looks over a Pista which literally looks like intercourse in progress. I'll take mine in blood red all day long thank you.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:30 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

intercourse. blood red. ... what have to be done. have to be done.

mine will become verde germoglio as long i can push myself spending around 35k € on the ‚pts‘ option.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:53 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
intercourse. blood red. ...
Alex has always had a way with words.

Regarding these two cars I agree completely.

I’m getting ready to purchase my 5th Porsche this fall, but I was a big enough whale to have the means and the access to spend 400K on either the GT2RS or the Pista, I’d certainly take the Pista.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-24-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Prices for limited versions of a 911 always seem to be hitting way above their pay grade.. there is no reason a 996 GT2 RS should cost almost as much as a sublime CarreraGT.. they're not even in the same ballpark.

When it comes to the newer models, I can't even begin to compare the desirability of a 488 Pista to the GT2. If ADM's truly bring them to the same price, that blows my mind. I was talking to a friend today who has multiple allocations for both, and he thinks that Ferrari will make as many Pista's as the market will bear.. where we know Porsche will limit the GT2... so maybe that's it, artificially limited supply?

As much as a manual NA and Porsche fanboy as I am, there is not a chance I would even consider a GT2 with its non-existent sound and frankly normal looks over a Pista which literally looks like intercourse in progress. I'll take mine in blood red all day long thank you.
I presume you mean the 991GT2RS not the 996GT2.
Whilst, I agree on the 991GT2RS- CGT point. But don't underestimate just what a great car to drive the 991GT2RS is. I am now up to just under 1k miles. It has the best Box of any road car I have ever driven, the best steering feel feed back. As for the sound . In my experience the best sounding road car I have ever owned. All the Pops and bangs of an LT and more.
For me, I rate the 991 GT2RS as the most exciting road car I have ever owned, that includes 918, and 675-LTSP
Old 02-24-2018, 08:47 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

^^ uhlala!
but i believe it. 918 is not that nimble-footed. 675 is not that good at the gearbox and the mechanical. (suspension, LSD,...) and steering feel is - different.

and to put this in perspective: i don´t think the Pista will be the first F car which will not outperform the compareable P opponent in terms of exitment. (even if excitement is subjective)

so many great cars.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,875 Likes on 970 Posts

I was talking to a friend today who has multiple allocations for both, and he thinks that Ferrari will make as many Pista's as the market will bear.. where we know Porsche will limit the GT2... so maybe that's it, artificially limited supply?
People keep saying this while AP has repeatedly said the opposite. It'll be interesting to see who's right. My money's on AP.

Originally Posted by Apolo1
Whilst, I agree on the 991GT2RS- CGT point. But don't underestimate just what a great car to drive the 991GT2RS is. I am now up to just under 1k miles. It has the best Box of any road car I have ever driven, the best steering feel feed back. As for the sound . In my experience the best sounding road car I have ever owned. All the Pops and bangs of an LT and more.
For me, I rate the 991 GT2RS as the most exciting road car I have ever owned, that includes 918, and 675-LTSP
nice
Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of us would gladly take either car if we got an allocation BUT I will make a counterpoint for the sake of argument.

Would you really be willing to buy a $350K car just to make it a garage queen? The Pista will most be used for C&C and occasional spirited drives. The GT2RS may be tracked a couple of times but then it will be relegated to being a sunday driver too. So I repeat(expect maybe 1 or 2 people on this thread) - Are you willing to make a monthly payment of $5K per month for a car that just sits in your garage.

Sorry - But I have decided that collecting cars and storing them is not my thing. I would rather buy them to drive and then trade for the next latest/greatest.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Are you willing to make a monthly payment of $5K per month for a car that just sits in your garage.
Most that buy these cars do not make a payment and if they do it's because they want to use someone else's cash. And they are likely not concerned about what the payment is....
Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

May know your friend as I spoke to someone that reflected the same. Ferrari gets the spotlight and people go crazy - patience is a virtue Speciale's were 50+ over I bought my 409k at 378k with 1200 miles. What we tend to forget is dealers do not make enough money on new cars and service their profit comes from used cars so if you want to play when their brand is red hot expect to lose when it cools down.

CGT is the only car I own that doesn't require an after market exhaust - Ferrari after markets have to go on and off to pass inspections at dealer and emissions PITA. GT2 is normal on this forum in the real world it's insanity c'mon man we are talking about a ring time of 6:47.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:59 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The only thing porsche has going for the gt2 is that it will work and that could be tracked without worries
Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

i will skid mine.

for me there is no reason to save the car. just because the 2% deductible from the damage will be nearly twice as much compared to the GT3RS (at the end it will be "just" 220k€ vs. 300k€ incl. VAT) i don´t think Pista will be more than 15% more expansive than the GT2RS. my dealer guessed 25% more than the 488GTB; which is 200k€ net. all prices are incl. "needed" options.
and as long the insurance and tax is already 8k for a season... thats to expansive for a garage insurance.

and if i get out after a year or two for free - that would be like christmas.
if the Pista will loose 30k a year. i would not be that happy. (but also not sad ) lets see how awsome it will become.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS vs 488 Pista