Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS 991.2 Nurburgring....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Too bad they don’t do mandatory emptying a tank then.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaLoL
Please stop with this Nurburgring hype crap ! You only wind up this marketing bull**** even higher in which Porsche is a king. How many of you were there ? Not to mention drive there regularly.

First of , i and you also should not trust factory lap times. Conditions in which they do their records are at least a bit far from how this should be done. Not a long time ago before some manufactures started to treat Nordschleife as 0-60 times it was more civilized.

Car suppose to be in state from showroom. Did Porsche bring new GT3.2 or GT2 RS from showroom ? No they did not. They brought GT3 with full racing seat with harness which can make a really noticeable difference behind the wheel ! Position is more stable and driver can be more precise with overall driving. Who drove at least once on Ring, know how important is stable position on this track and how significant can affect time, especially when you are driving on the edge. I don't have a clue of tires pressure but i can assume that they were not also recommended.

Same with the GT2. They waited to very late, to almost sunset when temperature was lower both for tarmac and air, so imagine how this could affected for hyper turbocharged car when tempartures are bit higher than for normally aspirated engines. I believe it helped for tires too.

Porsche did not start this Nurburgring hype for lap times, but they mastered it. They are masters in marketing and making customers easy target. They do this all little tricks to hipnotize blind crowd. But It's not only Porsche obviously.

The only true factor for me regarding Nurburgring lap times is Sport Auto Magazine. They take cars and don't do this all little tricks who can affect true times.
How come then that good drivers can get close to Porsche ring times or press car times on other tracks, but that's not the case for many others (Lambo, GTR etc)? I'd say it's the other way around - with Porsche, it's a known quantity. You can get the same lap time in a press car and a loaner from your local dealership.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:31 PM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Too bad they don’t do mandatory emptying a tank then.
Yes, I've thought for some time they should be doing an average of three laps instead of one lap and the cars melt (looking at you, American cars). If you can pound on a GT3 all day but your Camaro is done after 7 or 8 minutes one of those cars has left performance on the table for the sake of durability and overall competence.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:07 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MegaLoL

You missed my point completly. I don't mind that cars are develop on Nurburgring which is very demanding for components. I love to be there. In fact i have been tracking on Nurburgring since 8 years few times in year.

I was reffering to how they measure times for their products and wind up hype. All these little tricks on that, or there affect time significant. They say " car is normal production one, we only changed seat for cup one " And they answer why they did that is " for safety ". What a bull****. I don't recall they did that with 997 platform or even with 991.1. Similar with performante. There are still high doubts for their official time.

So where this marketing for Nurburgring got us ? For cheating ? And we all must accept this crap ? Ooo GT2 RS did below 6.50 ! I must get one ! If they would have done 6.55 or God forbid above 7 min I would not want one ! Hell no !

Journalist brought AMG GTR in very cold day and did time way faster than all GT Porsches. For me that time is legit. They did times for GT3 and RS few seconds slower than official Porsche.

Lets start from the later. Sportauto does that with all cars. Some people just check sportauto given that the times are with less skilled and less used to the car drivers, so times are closer to what clients will be able, plus its almost everytime the same driver.

On the gt2 rs. God forbid indeed. A GT car with more torque and power being slower than an heavy 4wd with less power? That would have been a quick way to kill the Porsche hype.

On the seats and things of that nature, that's a driver requirement. Didn't Lars lapped the sedan record with a full fat panamera? Or the alfa giulia on a tshirt and jeans on a stock car?
Drivers should ask for these type of things, most have careers out of this, and it doesn't pay well enough to risk the rest. Others are just their own quirkinesses.

on the usage of lap times for mkt, they are a business any external validation is a free selling point, and the more your product is validated the better you can sell it. I find no fault on this. Plus gt cars are literally track cars, if there are a set of car models where lap times are extremely relevant are in these.
So yeah that's that. I can agree with you on other cars that won't see a minute of track or a recurrent track use in their lifetimes, but not on these cars. Even some cars like the panamera or now the stelvio, are lapped to show how sporty and good these cars can drive
Old 02-27-2018, 02:12 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
No way will it go sub 7, I really don't think it will be as fast as the Manthey .1 RS at 7:10+-. The Ring obviously requires tons of downforce since it is such a high speed track, but it also requires a lot of power, to reach high speeds, to fight against all that downforce on the long straights.
The Manthey car had suspension work(different coilovers), the new rear diffuser, stickier tires than stock on super lightweight wheels, etc etc, and went 7:10, which is 10 seconds faster than a stock .1, just can't see (imo) the .2 going any faster, but maybe match that number.
there isn't 1 single thing that the manthey has better than the new rs. What you said makes no sense. Plus manthey car was lapped after some big changes were made in the ring.

I actually think this car will lap closer to the acr than the manthey time
Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
there isn't 1 single thing that the manthey has better than the new rs.
There is imo a very good chance the 3 way KW competition dampers are higher quality units than the OEM 991.2RS dampers especially as they would have been specifically valved/tuned to suit by Manthey..
Old 02-27-2018, 04:04 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by isv
There is imo a very good chance the 3 way KW competition dampers are higher quality units than the OEM 991.2RS dampers especially as they would have been specifically valved/tuned to suit by Manthey..
The better bit about the kw were the spring rates, everything else is more about endurance qualities than anything. The delta in performance between new oem (that by the way it has revisioned software) with the new springs and the kw competition even with manthey spec internals, isn't enough to cover extra power, less weight, less drag and quite a bit more downforce. The undertray is the same, the wheels are in the wp package, same solid everything in the suspension, similar or better tires to the trofeo r (available to be specced).
Just add add the manthey aligment and voilá.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

GT2 RS conspiracy theories are a joke. Race seat was about having proper Halo for safety. Lars may be insane but he’s not an idiot.

GT3 RS will be mega-quick but it won’t break 7mins as some have speculated.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:28 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 194 Posts

may around 7min.

as long .2GT3RS is a bit porkier in fact.
a couple of kilos.?
but if you go full wp... which have to be considered.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
GT2 RS conspiracy theories are a joke. Race seat was about having proper Halo for safety. Lars may be insane but he’s not an idiot.
Well the lap is supposed to be representative of a car that is available. Until Porsche offer a factory halo drivers seat option, then a lap with a halo seat (safer and so driver feels able to take more risk) is not representative of a customer spec car and the lap should really be done at a pace Kern feels comfortable with the standard bucket seat....
Old 02-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

When do we think Sportauto gets a RS and does the lap? March?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
When do we think Sportauto gets a RS and does the lap? March?
I think the track temp is too low in March
Old 02-27-2018, 09:05 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by jo_ker
may around 7min.

as long .2GT3RS is a bit porkier in fact.
a couple of kilos.?
but if you go full wp... which have to be considered.
Apparently the .2 rs is in fact lighter than the 1.rs on the lightest spec but some rule was changed and now there is a new formula for calculating weight that is related to all the options available. I actually don't know the formula, but i know the car even without the wp will be lighter than the same spec on a 1.rs
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by isv

Well the lap is supposed to be representative of a car that is available. Until Porsche offer a factory halo drivers seat option, then a lap with a halo seat (safer and so driver feels able to take more risk) is not representative of a customer spec car and the lap should really be done at a pace Kern feels comfortable with the standard bucket seat....
I don't disagree, but keep in mind that the car as 700hp goes as fast as 700 can ever go and the car was just out of development. If we the clients still get recalls and updates and fixes imagine a car at that stage. Plus, sub 7 pace in a street car is a lot of pace. Plus, this one wasn't fitted with the roll cage extension (available, but apparently not in the ti cage) maybe thats the reason for the seat.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by isv

I find it hard to believe anyone is seriously making this argument, it's so ridiculous. For one, halo seat does not make you go faster, just a little less likely to die if things go wrong. Saying that a pro would go faster in a halo seat because it's safer is ridiculous - a pro goes as fast as he/she can without crashing in either case, and it's their employer's responsibility to endure that the downside is minimized if they crash.
Secondly, the Ring is an unusually dangerous track. It's narrow, bumpy and has no runoffs. You would be much safer on any normal track in a non-bucket seat than in the safest seat possible on the ring.
Finally, it's a test of the car and not test of driver's ***** (or lack of self-preservation). There are definitely drivers just as fast as Kern who would not care about halo and did the same lap in a regular seat in a t-shirt. Maybe even Kern does not care about it, but lawyers/insurance/his parents do...

Using additional safety equipment in no way invalidates test of car's performance. Even in competitive racing safety mods are not counted against performance mod points, because it has nothing to do with performance and is just a good idea.

Quick Reply: GT3RS 991.2 Nurburgring....