Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: You have no relationship with your dealer. You were on a list. What happened?
Yes, it did work out. (you got the car at close to MSRP)
53.41%
No, it did not work out. (you got nothing)
46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack
I think PDK vs Manual will matter a lot on the ADM. I got a pdk @ msrp, no prior relationship, but don’t think I would have gotten a stick at that price. Rightfully so, really, imo. I think the manual cars are going to be worth more from the day they purchased onward...
How do you figure? An allocation is not bias towards manual or pdk like cxx/pts is - no cost option available to anyone who orders the car whichever transmission they pick.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I told MY local dealership the new 4.0 GT3 was coming out and I wanted to be first on the list. They had no clue. They would get back to me. They got back to me, they called the AutoGallery in Los Angeles about 850 miles away to get the "correct Markup for a car in the Rockies" Which was $25,000 My blood pressure never really came back down. Later another salesman laughed at the fact I wanted a GT3 at MSRP and he said "Its $40k now!!! ha ha ha" In the middle of the Rocky Mountains!!! Finally they called me back in and said they would work with me.
So this is going over months. We get to an area where the markup is not that bad at $15 but still should have been MSRP, and I went for it. So I brought my 50th anniversary 911 in and they couldnt give me a price. " We will get back to you because We want to ensure we can get you the best possible price" At that point I knew something wasn't right because I knew the trade in price of the 50th. So I called 40 dealers looking for a build, and half or more said "MSRP but you have to be local"

So then my local guys call back and offer me "your car is like a 4 year old Carrera with a powerkit how about 90k?" Only 20k less than it was worth. I make ONE call to my old salesman at Newport Beach back in Cali. In 40 minutes we do a deal on the phone for not much mark up and the price I wanted on the 50th. 40 minutes. Local dealer 9 months of basically pushing me to the point of an aneurysm. 40 minutes with a former salesman and we complete a deal Giovanni Bucci. Good guy.

Then later after a PCA meeting I see the salesman at my now local dealer and I say hello shake his hand, ask him a question about the Porsche Connect app. which he says they will have to charge me an hour of labor to connect it. Then I get home and find an email from him asking me to not talk to him anymore because he is a commissioned salesman and this is how he feeds his family. He had "worked with me for so long and got nothing out of it" after trying to relieve me of $25,000 of my hard earned money. After which he attached numerous posts I have made on Rennlist. How creepy is that? That your supposed sales guy is seeking your posts on Rennlist? They never cease to amaze me.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 AM
Lazyflatfoot
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it worked out. Put my name on the list a little over two years ago. Not asked to leave a deposit until I placed my order. The purchase was at MSRP. Prior to this purchase I did not have a prior relationship with this dealer.

Last edited by Lazyflatfoot; 02-20-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I must say I'm surprised at the poll results, given all the negative posts I've read. Either the results are real and people with bad experiences are just posting more, or people aren't following the rules of the poll set out by Rob. Or it could also be that people with no prior Porsche dealer relationship and are just now buying a GT3 are such a small subgroup that they do not represent the typical GT3 buyer ? Anyhow, I'm surprised.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I must say I'm surprised at the poll results, given all the negative posts I've read. Either the results are real and people with bad experiences are just posting more, or people aren't following the rules of the poll set out by Rob. Or it could also be that people with no prior Porsche dealer relationship and are just now buying a GT3 are such a small subgroup that they do not represent the typical GT3 buyer ? Anyhow, I'm surprised.
Just human nature- it takes many, many more happy customers to make up for one unhappy one. Basically those that get screwed are more likely to post about it than those that have everything work out.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Last year I got on the list (for a $2500 deposit) of a California dealer (no prior relationship)... and was recently offered a finely spec'd GT3 at MSRP. I live in CT! Go figure.

I'm on six lists, and that was my only call. So I'd say lists are less than 17% effective.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

All these people on so many lists.... Is demand really much lower than it seems?

I’m in real estate, and this reminds of me 2006 when new condo projects were taking “reservations” with $2,000 refundable deposits. Despite some buildings having all 50 or so of their Units pre-sold with up to 3 backup reservations, by the time it came to hard contracts, only about 1/3 of the units actually sold because so many “Buyers” had reserved multiple Units at multiple places and of course only bought 1 Unit if any.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 273 Likes on 131 Posts

FWIW:

One local dealer (no previous relationship) wouldn’t even put my name on the list, claiming they had more people on the list than incoming allocations

Another local dealer said they could only put me on the list if I was one of their previous GT customers, which I wasn’t.

Some out of state dealers wanted $40k adm. One out of state dealer claimed they could put me on the list, but later said no because I was out of state.

Another semi-local dealer, from which I’ve purhased GT cars in the past (last one 7 years ago, but I had not stayed in touch), I called and spoke with my sales guy (great guy, still there). A week later got a call back with commission number.

Moral of the story: Relationship (or previous purchase) > Waiting List.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I know it is still early, but it sure looks like getting on a list does pan out, even when you have no prior relationship with the dealer. You might need to get on multiple lists, and work for it, but the data shows that it does work more than half the time. That is encouraging.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Interesting in a general manner, but obviously this is very unscientific and suffers from numerous biases, not the least of which is that someone who didn't get a car is far less likely to even be reading this subforum and see the poll than someone who did. If I didn't get an allocation, I wouldn't be in this subforum.

The second big bias is that many people didn't even put their name on lists because the dealers indicated that they probably had less than zero chance of getting a car. I called every dealer in the Western U.S. way back when and I heard that repeatedly.

Finally, IMO, the list working out means you got an allocation and were able to spec your own car. Getting a phone call to take a build someone else backed out of is not 'the list working out' IMO. That's them dialing for dollars to move a car that you weren't going to get but for some other buyer bailing. I'm not on any list and I've received those contacts.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:52 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.
I put my deposit in summer 2015 at dealership A. Word from my SA: 'you got a pretty good chance.'
Then, the car was released in March 2017, my SA told me straight I can't get a car. Even if I buy a 991.2 GTS and trade-in later, there is no guarantee.

So I bought a low-mileage GT4 at dealership B as it is the 'next-best-thing' to me. Told my SA I still want a GT3. As summer ends, got the call from my SA offering me a GT3 allocation.

Demand here in Canada isn't as high as our neighbor, but supply is much much lower. With no relationship and some valuable trade-in, I don't see a chance here in Toronto area. The 'waiting-list' is just a free loan to the dealership with no contractual obligation. Valuable (Profitable) customer is always on the 'list'.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

I answered "No" but it kinda doesn't fit. I had a relationship with my dealer; two GT cars 997.2 GT3 and GT4 then the dealership changed staff (again) and new GM/new SA dropped me from the list.

Every cloud has a silver lining,
Arizona does not charges sales tax on private party, used car purchases so I could save ~$20k if I buy a used 991.2 GT3 which is about the markup private sellers seem to like now.

Quick Reply: How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!