Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: You have no relationship with your dealer. You were on a list. What happened?
Yes, it did work out. (you got the car at close to MSRP)
53.41%
No, it did not work out. (you got nothing)
46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No relationship with dealer, never purchased new Porsche from anyone. (only lightly used '11 997.2 GT3 back in ~2012 which I sold a few years later).
Worked with my local dealer in Denver. Put name on list ~12 months prior to announcement, no deposit. Once orders started hitting their system, told I was #11 on list.

Mid-Sept 2017, received standard V070 status printout. Put down $5000 non-refundable deposit and signed dealers new car order form stating MSRP deal. End of Jan 2018, received V200 printout & commission #, ETA 11/30/2018, 2018 MY.

Worked directly with Sales Manager. Dude has been really solid. Did not vote, as I do not have the car, but it would be beyond outrageous given what was signed upon/order status if the MSRP deal falls through at this point.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

What is funny is Porsche had sent me a mini Porsche and a ordering guide ..but no real car.
i guess this is normal for Porsche to these tactics and owners except it.
But to be honest I'm done with this brand....I was willing to pony up all this money .
I just wonder if your name was on a car and that is why you were sent the Mini Porsche.

I wonder how many received this that was on a list but no car/allocation[/QUOTE]

jimmy d my name was the package that they sent me the way i had placed my order but never got allocation.
I don't get it if dealer is no good. Or Porsche NA
Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by SJJ28
I cant believe you all hate me!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Everyone wants to know the best way to buy new GT cars at MSRP....

It’s clear that it depends a lot on the region of the USA (or country) where you live. SoCal, Florida, the coasts, anywhere with concentrations of wealthy buyers are tough nuts for non-VIPs to crack.

It’s also clear that most dealerships have a bias in favor of local (or at least in-state/region) customers. Probably for a combination of reasons: they’re more likely to get your car in for service, back for trade, and get you back for repeat business even for non-GT cars, which all adds up to more profit. And while I’m not privy to the details, I suspect Porsche may treat dealers better who they know serve their local markets best.

Dealerships of course do (and should) give preference to customers who demonstrate loyalty to them with repeat purchases. So of course you’re more likely to get the GT car allocation you want at MSRP if you buy other cars. But this may not be enough to overcome VIP status and wealthy markets above.

So it would seem the best way to get the GT you want at MSRP, short of dropping big money to become a Porsche VIP, is to live in a second tier market and form a decent relationship with a dealer in that state (or that dealer’s regional market area if it crosses state lines) by buying a non-GT car or two, used or new.

It may may also be true that some dealerships, no matter what your location or “relationship” with them will always demand ADM on limited allocation cars, because they can. Maybe we should just cut ties with those?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I am a bit surprised by the results so far. It looks like you have a 50/50 chance of getting a GT car at sticker, even if you have no relationship with the dealer. Based on comments here i was expecting much worse results. I guess that is positive to think that you can just engage a dealership without any prior history, get on a list, and eventually get a desirable GT car for sticker. Of course, half are also seriously disappointed, and those disappontments show up here.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

FWIW, I live in Columbus, OH. There are 2 Porsche dealerships here (Byers and MAG). I bought my first Porsche (a new 996 Targa) from Byers in 2003, and a new Audi S4 from them the same year, both of which I serviced there for 5 years.

In 2012 I bought a new S4 there, too, also serviced there for 5 years.

In early 2015 I got into Porsche again and became interested in GT cars. Neither Byers nor MAG would give me the time of day on an allocation. I found and bought a used 2013 Boxster S from Porsche Beachwood in Cleveland, OH. I serviced it at Byers since they’re local. Despite this and multiple requests, they couldn’t offer me an allocation (even with a markup) for any GT car, just kept talking about their famous VIPs whenever I asked (Rahal, etc).

A few months later, Beachwood offered me an MSRP late allocation of a new GT4, which I took them up on. During the wait I bought a used 991 GT3 from them, too. In late 2016 they offered me a fair trade in on the GT4 and an MSRP allocation on a 991.2 GT3 for when they came out. It’s now V215 and will be PTS with Touring Package and is May build.

The relatioanhip has lead to me also trading back to them a 2012 Panamera I had bought used out of state, the aforementioned Boxster S, the 991 GT3, and an Audi RS7 I’d also purchase used out of state. And I’ve purchased from them a used 981 Spyder and a used BMW daily driver.

Long story short, despite them being 130 miles away and there being two local dealers here, a nevertheless in-state dealer who showed me some sincerity early on with a new GT4 allocation at MSRP when I’d only ever bought a single used Boxster from them beforehand has resulted in my purchase of 6 cars from them in less than 3 years and my trade in to them of 5 cars to them in the same time, all of which they profited on. And they won a long term customer.

I now look forward to my occasion treks up to Cleveland to visit them.

I suppose if I lived in SoCal I’d just be screwed though.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
What if we are V200 status with a commission slip, is that allowable to vote?
Any chance the deal goes **** up? If not, vote.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have 10 or 11 dealers within 25 miles of where I live. Never really counted, probably up to 15 if you also count within 25 miles from where I work.

After years of relationship buying - including several of them trying to win my business the game has changed.

So I'm just changing the way I buy cars. Now if I want something I hire a broker and pay a fee for them to get me the best deal on said car - I get them to cross shop a few different makes/models .e.g RR Sport Hybrid order vs a Panny Hybrid order.

I'll just pay up if I want a GT car bad enough to eat an ADM - looking at my relationship buys I think this way is actually much cheaper for me and much less hassle.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

I voted yes, the deposit, first in first served method worked. (although not on the R) . But I'm also in Australia and the method whilst not perfect works much better here.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Really good poll! Went just as my salesperson said it would. At MSRP even! Even though you may end up with a small number to work off if 50% of new GT car buyers from Porsche have a bad experience they should be alarmed..
Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Not able to vote yet, I’m V200 status and have a deposit down... Paying an ADM

Crazy thing is we are close family friends with the owner of two Porsche dealerships, the SA who I bought a Cayenne GTS from knows the relationship we have with the owner and has offered me no better than $30k over MSRP for a 991.2 GT3 allocation. I countered up to +$10k and he didn’t flinch. I’m not going straight to the owner to ask for a better deal because if they are getting $30k over MSRP for their allocations I feel like it would be like asking him for free money.

I have not been able to find any GT3 allocations on the East Coast for MSRP so finally settled for MSRP +$15k, have a commission number and have a copy of my build that was input into PCNA’s system so feeling pretty good but won’t feel amazing until I’m driving the car of my dreams.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the family friend when he see’s a different dealers plate frame on the car
Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BOS991.2
Not able to vote yet, I’m V200 status and have a deposit down... Paying an ADM

Crazy thing is we are close family friends with the owner of two Porsche dealerships, the SA who I bought a Cayenne GTS from knows the relationship we have with the owner and has offered me no better than $30k over MSRP for a 991.2 GT3 allocation. I countered up to +$10k and he didn’t flinch. I’m not going straight to the owner to ask for a better deal because if they are getting $30k over MSRP for their allocations I feel like it would be like asking him for free money.

I have not been able to find any GT3 allocations on the East Coast for MSRP so finally settled for MSRP +$15k, have a commission number and have a copy of my build that was input into PCNA’s system so feeling pretty good but won’t feel amazing until I’m driving the car of my dreams.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the family friend when he see’s a different dealers plate frame on the car
sorry to tell you u should not be friends with these people.
they only care for money.
Not friendship.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5

sorry to tell you u should not be friends with these people.
they only care for money.
Not friendship.
They are some of the most generous people I know. I am not a charity case, they know I have no problem affording a GT3 plus whatever ADM a dealership wants to throw on... If they are getting +30k for GT3’s I’m truly happy for them, I’ve been able to do a little leg work and find a better deal so good for me.

Just sharing my story in response to the post, not looking for friendship advice, thanks though...
Old 02-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Called dealer, referred by a friend. A week later I had the allocation. Sent deposit. Now the wait begins
Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think PDK vs Manual will matter a lot on the ADM. I got a pdk @ msrp, no prior relationship, but don’t think I would have gotten a stick at that price. Rightfully so, really, imo. I think the manual cars are going to be worth more from the day they purchased onward...

Quick Reply: How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!