Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: You have no relationship with your dealer. You were on a list. What happened?
Yes, it did work out. (you got the car at close to MSRP)
53.41%
No, it did not work out. (you got nothing)
46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts
Default How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!

Let's find out how effective putting your name on a list for a GT car really is, if you have no prior relationship with the dealer. What does "no prior relationship with the dealer" actually mean? You have not spent any money in the past, other than the deposit you may have given them for the GT car. If you have a deposit with an out-of-state dealer, most likely you have no relationship. Having a great conversation with the SA on the phone DOES NOT COUNT as a relationship. Please do not participate in the poll if you are still on the list or have not paid for the car yet. We only want to look at actual verified results.

Some examples....

1. You have been on a list for 2 years and you just got your deposit check mailed back to you. You would answer "No, it did not work out."

2. You have been on a list for a while and the dealer offered you a new GT car with an ADM so high you turned it down the second your blood pressure returned to normal. You would answer "No, it did not work out."

3. You have been on a list for a while, and the dealer notified you that you can order your car at little to no ADM. You have completed the deal, paid the money, and taken delivery of the car. You would answer "Yes, it did work out."

4. You are on the list but don't know if you got a car or not. But the SA you spoke to is super cool (you believe she might even want to have sex with you), so you are sure you will get the car. Please DO NOT answer the poll until you have sex...I mean get the car and finish the deal.

5. You have known the dealer for a long time, play golf with the owner, and just took delivery of your shiny MSRP GT3. Please DO NOT answer this poll. Also, we all hate you.

6. You were on a list for a Panamera Turbo and got the car at MSRP. Please DO NOT answer this poll.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:55 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Does putting your name on a waiting list at a dealer you have no history with actually work? Let's find out how effective putting your name on a list for a GT car really is, if you have no prior relationship with the dealer.

3. You have been on a list for a while, and the dealer notified you that you can order your car at little to no ADM. You have completed the deal, paid the money, and taken delivery of the car. You would answer "Yes, it did work."
Yes it did work. Placed $5k deposit spring of 2017 sold to me at MSRP, and car is already in the country on its way to dealership from the port.

I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be one of very few if reading the forum means anything.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Good poll, though it probably would be a low number. I inquired about purchasing a GT3.2 February 2017. I got told straight out from my SA what their priorities are, and it is as follows.
1. VIP customers (918 buyers who were given the right of first refusal by Porsche)
2. Local customers with a prior history (purchased car, and/or current cars being serviced)
3. Local customers with no prior history.
4. Non-local customers, although I suspect non local customers who have been buying multiple cars trumps #3.

Nowhere and at no time in our conversation was there a mention of a numbered waiting list as the sole factor in determining who gets a car, nor of needing a deposit to hold a place in some theoretical list. I happened to fall under priority #2. I have to hand it to my dealership for being up front about the whole process.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:26 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

What if we are V200 status with a commission slip, is that allowable to vote?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

I've bought dozens of cars from my local dealer including a new GT4 and GT3 RS and still they wouldn't sell me a car at MSRP.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:41 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

I have never put my name on a list. Dealer knows I want them, I get first dibs. However, I am local and buy cars from the other brands they sell as well. They get to service all my cars. Dealer is small and often doesn't get certain cars, ei: my order for the GT2 wasn't picked up by Porsche as they didn't get an allocation. I assume that if a list exists, it starts after me? Sometimes living in a small market helps, others it doesn't. MSRP always
Old 02-19-2018, 05:49 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Gave the dealer 1000 back in December 5 2016.
He created A invoice wrote out msrp on invoice and refundable.
Also said I was third.
Keep in mind after calling or emailing 50 dealers back then he was the only one.
who would let me get on list.
Well after a few conversations over the year and stating to me that they received two allocations.
And I was next......we talked last week and he says can't anymore cars.
Man I don't get this....from Porsche .
I was very mad...but I guess he would had sold me a car if he could get more.
i blame Porsche NA.This would had been my first Porsche and was looking Foward to get this car.
i have a bad taste for Porsche ...I never had this happen to me before usually when I wanted a car from
any other brand I can get ....would get on list and wait.
and dealer would make it happen ..but not Porsche.

What is funny is Porsche had sent me a mini Porsche and a ordering guide ..but no real car.
i guess this is normal for Porsche to these tactics and owners except it.
But to be honest I'm done with this brand....I was willing to pony up all this money .
Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Placed a $1000 deposit back in Summer 2016.
He said I would be 1st in line. I am previous GT3 buyer from same salesperson (now at a different dealer).
I included my stipulations of PTS and manual car on the written invoice.
He created a invoice wrote out msrp on invoice.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geographic Location is also a discerning factor
Old 02-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

absolutely.

Non-CA
Old 02-19-2018, 06:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

well depends. over the years i worked with many shops.
out and in of CA
some take deposit some dont
but those that delivered to me never needed my deposit those that failed to deliver always asked for deposit...
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I have seen both sides of this coin. Some Porsche dealers have issues. LOL Others are normal and you can trust them. YMMV
Old 02-19-2018, 06:59 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

I cant believe you all hate me!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

What is funny is Porsche had sent me a mini Porsche and a ordering guide ..but no real car.
i guess this is normal for Porsche to these tactics and owners except it.
But to be honest I'm done with this brand....I was willing to pony up all this money .
[/QUOTE]

I just wonder if your name was on a car and that is why you were sent the Mini Porsche.

I wonder how many received this that was on a list but no car/allocation
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I inquired about purchasing a GT3.2 February 2017. I got told straight out from my SA what their priorities are, and it is as follows.
1. VIP customers (918 buyers who were given the right of first refusal by Porsche)
2. Local customers with a prior history (purchased car, and/or current cars being serviced)
3. Local customers with no prior history.
4. Non-local customers, although I suspect non local customers who have been buying multiple cars trumps #3.

Nowhere and at no time in our conversation was there a mention of a numbered waiting list as the sole factor in determining who gets a car, nor of needing a deposit to hold a place in some theoretical list. I happened to fall under priority #2. I have to hand it to my dealership for being up front about the whole process.
Same story with my dealer. Very straight forward and no games.

Quick Reply: How Effective Are Waiting Lists? Let's Find Out!