Sponsored by:

Motor Trend: 2018 PORSCHE 911 GT3 FIRST TEST: BEAUTY BEHELD

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:42 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
So basically supercar performance, from a NA car with "only" 500HP, and 6MT.......clearly this thing needs turbos.

From my seat, the car is a beast. Glad to see some numbers back up that opinion.
GT2 RS
Old 02-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I don't quite think that is accurate. The time one loses to shift gears is uncompromising. Drivers may not make a difference due to lack of skill (myself included) but the pro's have proved time and time again that PDK is quicker.
The lap time lost from not applying power for that split second is incredibly small, and not equal to the shift time itself. It results in the car achieving a slightly lower top speed over an acceleration period, which results in the car covering that distance in slightly less time. This is why in the article despite many repeated shifts throughout the track, it only resulted in a few tenths of a second difference.

A few tenths is huge in a competition amongst professional racers. At a DE day, driver skill dominates by an order of magnitude.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That's why Porsche always uses a PCCB car when they're trying to lay down the fastest Ring time, you know, because it's slower than one with iron rotors...
Factory I guess can cheat a bit & use any pads they want for setting fastest laps.

Obviously there is an advantage to using larger lighter rotor of the PCCB',s..use a more aggressive pad they will work better.. at the cost of longevity.

all I am saying, to make sense of the 100-0 braking times for the GT3, it seems the brake pad are more aggressive with the steel rotors.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by One911
Is there a new variant of tires on the 991.2 GT3?
I'm wondering the same thing. What tires was he so impressed with?

“Holy crap, the tire grip,” he nearly shouted after a few PDK laps. “Oh my God. I was so impressed with the tire grip, my God! I think I might’ve set my Turn 8 speed record. They are just so flippin’ sticky. It just felt so good. I think it has some real live aero because of the way it sticks, and it’s stable at high speed, in Turn 8, especially.”
Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Factory I guess can cheat a bit & use any pads they want for setting fastest laps.

Obviously there is an advantage to using larger lighter rotor of the PCCB',s..use a more aggressive pad they will work better.. at the cost of longevity.

all I am saying, to make sense of the 100-0 braking times for the GT3, it seems the brake pad are more aggressive with the steel rotors.

Stopping distances of iron vs PCCB is going to be identical if they're on the same tires. Tires are the limiting factor, not the brakes.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Stopping distances of iron vs PCCB is going to be identical if they're on the same tires. Tires are the limiting factor, not the brakes.
Usual the steel & the PCCB 18 GT3's use the same tires.. next is the friction of the pad, if the steels have a more aggressive higher friction pad, they will stop quicker from 100 mph.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
The manual has longer gearing vs. the PDK's so the latter has to upshift/downshift one more than the manual's during the 8 and even that 0-100-0 sprint I bet...
No, both gearboxes go well over 100 mph in 3rd gear...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06

Usual the steel & the PCCB 18 GT3's use the same tires.. next is the friction of the pad, if the steels have a more aggressive higher friction pad, they will stop quicker from 100 mph.
Test numbers in the past have shown that it's dead heat between the stock Porsche irons and the PCCBs in stopping distances. If they tested stock cars, these results have nothing to do with the brakes.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Nope. Multiple tests have shown them to be dead equal over one stop. Different results only after 9-10 repeat panic stops at max engagement where steels start to fade.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06

Cup cars seem to have no problem with repeat braking..I thought the large rotor would help the PCCB, they must use a less aggressive pad, 5 tenths is a lot of time braking 100-0 ..as is.. lap times will be better with steel brakes. Explains the brake dust differences.
Practically any brakes, carbon or steel, even the wimpy brakes on base 911, are powerful enough to lock a wheel instantaneously without a delay. Which means that braking distance in one stop does not depend on brakes - just tires. You push the pedal and you instantaneously get maximum braking the tire can achieve with any non-broken performance brake package. Any difference in this test would be from tires or surface. This is a heavily boosted system with ABS - rotor or pad material are not going to make measurable difference on one panic stop. There is just no way aggressiveness of pads or any other characteristic of a normally functioning brake system caused 0.5 second difference in one stop. This is just silly.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06

This seriously makes no sense. The friction of the pad is NEVER a bottleneck for a road car. The brakes are boosted - the booster will squeeze the caliper hard enough to stop the wheel fully regardless of the pad material, as long as the pad is not melting. I had pads delaminate and lose their material on both front wheels, and there was still enough friction to stop the car within close to normal distance from over 100MPH. The aggressiveness of the pad does not impact the distance of the panic stop in this car or practically any other street car with boosted brakes and ABS.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
This seriously makes no sense. The friction of the pad is NEVER a bottleneck for a road car. The brakes are boosted - the booster will squeeze the caliper hard enough to stop the wheel fully regardless of the pad material, as long as the pad is not melting. I had pads delaminate and lose their material on both front wheels, and there was still enough friction to stop the car within close to normal distance from over 100MPH. The aggressiveness of the pad does not impact the distance of the panic stop in this car or practically any other street car with boosted brakes and ABS.
interesting.. so all these cars can look up the brakes..trigger ABS at 100 mph because they are boosted, meaning applied caliper pressure with any decent brake pad onto the rotor would work?
So the coefficient of friction between the pad & rotor means nothing? All Brake pads have basically the same torque no difference ?
I apologize for my blunder🤦*♂️
Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...-pad-compound/
Old 02-17-2018, 01:13 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Great article. Thanks for sharing....Anyone noticed the grip difference (1.11 VS 1.07) between manual & PDK. Any guesses why is this? Are they both on Michelin Cup2 tires or perhaps one car has more Miles on the set than the other? Or perhaps heat cycled out.......Interested to hear theories on this..... is it possible weight distribution which is little different between both cars...

The higher grip on the manual could also explain why the lap times are so close between both cars.... any thoughts on this??? Mark
Old 02-17-2018, 01:18 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Great article. Thanks for sharing....Anyone noticed the grip difference (1.11 VS 1.07) between manual & PDK. Any guesses why is this? Are they both on Michelin Cup2 tires or perhaps one car has more Miles on the set than the other? Interested to hear theories on this..... is it possible weight distribution which is little different between both cars...

The higher grip on the manual could also explain why the lap times are so close between both cars.... any thoughts on this??? Mark
Mechanical vs Electronic diff

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: 2018 PORSCHE 911 GT3 FIRST TEST: BEAUTY BEHELD