Motor Trend: 2018 PORSCHE 911 GT3 FIRST TEST: BEAUTY BEHELD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:23 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger

Mechanical vs Electronic diff
Good explanation. Thank you.... I did not expect it would make that much difference. Mark
Old 02-17-2018, 02:42 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to tell you guys this and I know this is big news but the car is engaging with a PDK also.

Randy talks about his turn 8 speed. If you’ve never had the chance to drive the Big track at Willow Springs please go. I don’t know of of turn that challenges you to go as fast through a turn as that last corner, to get onto the front straight. Until you see the results of someone who went just a tad too fast! It really gets your heart rate up
Old 02-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Srsly!

Pccb have an advantage in repeat braking situations, not necessarily better performing than steel in a single stop.

You have to wonder if this whole "engine in the wrong place" platitude is actually "engine in the perfect place"

-more traction for acceleration
-ability to help rotate the car with the right driver at the helm
-more balanced under hard braking
-etc etc...

How else can you explain 30+ years of constant overachievement in everything from road racing to lemans to Dakar Rally...

It's like being in love with the girl with the slightly fat *** in school, but all your buds secretly know she's a hell of a lot more fun in bed than their whispy models with the fake *****.

Beauty beheld indeed...
Great points. It’s like saying Dr. Porsche was an automotive design genius but look how he “f”d up one of the most enduring and iconic automotive designs of all time.

As to to the girl friend thing I’d wanna know how all my buds know that.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
For sure.... with Randy Pobst driving.

For mere mortals, I bet that difference will be solid seconds when switching to/from.... me included.

Even Randy had some challenges--
“That is a lot more work,” he said, fresh off laps in the manual car. “Way more difficult to do a perfect lap with the manual transmission. I seem to end up halfway between gears a lot, and it was easier to destabilize the car in the brake zone. It’s tricky to do the brake and entry perfectly when there’s a downshift in there. It’s much more tricky to throw a downshift at it than not to. It’s reminiscent of what we have to deal with, with manual transmissions, having to decide what gear you need, and it takes more practice to do it perfectly in one lap. I didn’t get into the magic zone like I did with the PDK, maybe because of the extra work.”

Good work, though, if you can get it.

“The shifter is great,” he said. “It is very accurate; light. It has that slick, Teflon, mechanical feel. Never worried about getting the wrong gear. The only trouble was trying to be as perfect when I have to change gears.”

100%. There is a reason factory teams don’t use MTs. Maybe with a pro driver you can get within a second or so with an mt for a lap but repeating that performance for lap after lap in a race in race conditions? No way.

I am am amazed though that a car without boost and with its engine in the wrong place and priced below $200kis within a second of the $500k FGT MkII and faster than other seriously fast iron or aluminum/carbon fiber as the case may be
Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Btw... shouldn't this read as "Born in Flacht" instead? ....or "Made in Zuffenhausen"

Exactly! False advertising

Their marketing line is "Born in Flacht" ..

Last edited by STG; 02-17-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Are the cars on different tyres? They state average lateral acceleration as 1.11 g for the manual and 1.07 g for the PDK. Could also help explain the heavier manual's braking distance.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

For mere mortals, I bet that difference will be solid seconds when switching to/from.... me included.

“That is a lot more work,” he said, fresh off laps in the manual car. “Way more difficult to do a perfect lap with the manual transmission. I seem to end up halfway between gears a lot, and it was easier to destabilize the car in the brake zone. It’s tricky to do the brake and entry perfectly when there’s a downshift in there. It’s much more tricky to throw a downshift at it than not to. It’s reminiscent of what we have to deal with, with manual transmissions, having to decide what gear you need, and it takes more practice to do it perfectly in one lap. I didn’t get into the magic zone like I did with the PDK, maybe because of the extra work.”

“The shifter is great,” he said. “It is very accurate; light. It has that slick, Teflon, mechanical feel. Never worried about getting the wrong gear. The only trouble was trying to be as perfect when I have to change gears.”
Picked up on the same things you did, Bossing! Was going to post the same quote when I read the article.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:33 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Someone would have to be Very poor at shifting to be “solid seconds” slower in the Manual.

Last edited by GrantG; 02-17-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:34 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Randy is the man
any video?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:49 PM
bonedoctor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting article. I ordered the MT to be more fun to drive not faster anyway. We shall see in April when it arrives.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:51 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Someone would have to be Very poor at shifting to be “solid seconds” slower in the Manual.
VERY poor indeed... good thing they make PDKs for the clumsy folks.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:39 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

MT@LS

Old 02-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

^That's awesome! I'll actually be in Sebring tomorrow... GT4 though, yes in the manual.

Originally Posted by GrantG
All it takes is a blown shift... or a misshift... or too early... or... well you catch my drift. I don't toot my horn on being the fastest/bestest (lol) most consistent shifter but no way can I mimic the PDK-S telepathic capabilities at every turn, upshift/downshift, and every single lap... I just give credit where credit is due. Even racecar drivers make human errors in shifting.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
VERY poor indeed... good thing they make PDKs for the clumsy folks.
No, they make Pdk for rich folks that can't drive a stick. Think about it, 997 gt3 and rs didn't have this much demand. All kidding aside, I love Pdk in my targa
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for being one of the few that acknowledge that professional racing drivers are very good at shifting ))

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: 2018 PORSCHE 911 GT3 FIRST TEST: BEAUTY BEHELD