Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schmee GT3 and tour of Exclusive Manufaktur

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

What does the "150" part of Schmee mean?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:38 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
What does the "150" part of Schmee mean?
Shmee1 through Shmee149 were already taken.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

Shmee1 through Shmee149 were already taken.
LOL lots of Shmees out there
Old 02-10-2018, 12:17 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Say what you want about his over exuberant delivery, he does a great job showing us some inside looks at Porsche. A very cool car he built...good on him!
+2
Old 02-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I think any option in the configurator labeled “Porsche Exclusive”, which would include the Sport Chrono dial in white, is done in the Exclusive Manufaktur area after the car comes off the factory line.

It does seem crazy that some of these things, like that white dial, have to be done that way and that the standard part is wasted. The factory line handles all kinds of other options with Just In Time delivery of parts to install on the line, so what’s so special or hard to coordinate about having the white Sport Chrono clock part delivered JIT to the normal line? PAG/VW being the huge company they are, I assume they have their reasons and have run the numbers to come to the decision they have about how to make their cars for lowest cost. Maybe for the small volume of buyers who opt for these options, it would cost them more to modify their main production line to accommodate these things than to do afterwards? And maybe they figure they can recoup whatever extra costs there are to doing it this way by building an aura around “Exclusive” options and thereby charging more for them?

It does bother me though that if they truly do trash the standard parts that they don’t allow buyers to get them for spares with their cars. I bet 2 things are happening there: 1) Porsche doesn’t really trash these parts; they “refurbish” them and then sell them to dealers for repairs and/or keep them in stock for eventual historic car repairs; or maybe they offer them to employees cheap as seconds?; 2) Porsche don’t give them to buyers because they don’t want to worry about warrantying them.

Like many here, I’m getting the CXX LWB seats with custom inserts for my Touring, which are done in Exclusive. Given how much the inserts sell for from 3rd parties (like $2K), it’s hard to imagine why/how Porsche would simply trash the standard black cloth Touring inserts that are literally brand new, wrapped in protective film, and which simply Velcro on/off the firm foam seat cushions.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

They probably don't give them to buyers because they don't want them winding up on the second-hand market.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:39 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I find Schmee's youthful enthusiasm on receiving his new car delightful and reminds me of my own hidden Joy when I took delivery of a new-to-me sportscar many decades ago. Of course, as a night-school College student, earning next-to-nothing at the time, my "new" sportscars were much older, cheaper, and far more worn, and I was far "too sophisticated" to exhibit the inner delight I felt outwardly, lest my youth shine through.
So, I say Thank You Schmee for letting us share the moments of sheer joy you reflect so accurately, and Thank you again for being able to so perfectly catch it on Video without any help from the usual camera crews required. To those of us on this thread so critical of Schmee's good fortune, I can only pity your lost ability to share in others Joy.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I find Schmee's youthful enthusiasm on receiving his new car delightful and reminds me of my own hidden Joy when I took delivery of a new-to-me sportscar. Of course, as a night-school College student, making next-to-nothing at the time, my "new" sportscars were much older, cheaper,and far more worn, and I was far "too sophisticated" to exhibit the inner delight I felt outwardly, lest my youth shine through. So, I say Thank You Schmee for letting us share the moments of sheer joy you reflect so accurately, and Thank you again for being able to so perfectly catch it on Video without any help from the usual camera crews required. To those of us on this thread so critical of Schmee's good fortune, I can only pity your lost ability to share in others Joy.
Amen!!! In the name of Father , The Spirit, and Son, and of the Holy Spirit
Old 02-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Until I saw this I did not believe they actually installed new parts after it is built.
Yes, Porsche is quite stupid that way. Or another way to put it, too straight forward.

One would think those specially ordered customized parts would just go directly to the line and installed there, it's what common sense dictate and make sense to most people. But not to the Germans.

The straight forward thinking Germans however think it's better to fit 'dummy' place holders, aka standard production trim pieces on the car first, then take it all apart somewhere else to put the customized one on. Oh and the take off items? They are disposed even when they are brand new. One reason some of the CXX items are stupidly expensive.

Like a few years ago for the GT3RS, the 12 o'clock yellow stripe can be changed to orange but It's like a 7k option or something I forgot. The reason being they install the yellow stripe wheel on the car first, then head to Exclusive to chuck that perfectly good one away and put on a brand new customized one with the orange stripe.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:25 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Like a few years ago for the GT3RS, the 12 o'clock yellow stripe can be changed to orange but It's like a 7k option or something I forgot. The reason being they install the yellow stripe wheel on the car first, then head to Exclusive to chuck that perfectly good one away and put on a brand new customized one with the orange stripe.
.....wow
Old 02-10-2018, 04:24 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I find Schmee's youthful enthusiasm on receiving his new car delightful and reminds me of my own hidden Joy when I took delivery of a new-to-me sportscar many decades ago. Of course, as a night-school College student, earning next-to-nothing at the time, my "new" sportscars were much older, cheaper, and far more worn, and I was far "too sophisticated" to exhibit the inner delight I felt outwardly, lest my youth shine through.
So, I say Thank You Schmee for letting us share the moments of sheer joy you reflect so accurately, and Thank you again for being able to so perfectly catch it on Video without any help from the usual camera crews required. To those of us on this thread so critical of Schmee's good fortune, I can only pity your lost ability to share in others Joy.
...if that were the case why does he share this "hidden joy" in every single one of his videos including when he's not picking up his new GT3? Could it be because it's fake as all hell and therefore annoying to most people possessing even a low level of maturity.

If "hidden joy" is what we're going for, then shame on Porsche for giving this idiot access instead of someone that comes across as genuinely enthusiastic and knowledgable like Jethro Bovingdon
Old 02-11-2018, 12:01 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
So do all exclusive options (even non-CXX) get installed at that
Exclusive area or are those still added on the regular line and
only CXX options installed at the Exclusive area?
Originally Posted by Lapis
I think any option in the configurator labeled “Porsche Exclusive”,
which would include the Sport Chrono dial in white, is done in the
Exclusive Manufaktur area after the car comes off the factory line.

It does seem crazy that some of these things, like that white dial,
have to be done that way and that the standard part is wasted. The
factory line handles all kinds of other options with Just In Time delivery
of parts to install on the line, so what’s so special or hard to coordinate
about having the white Sport Chrono clock part delivered JIT to the
normal line? PAG/VW being the huge company they are, I assume
they have their reasons and have run the numbers to come to the
decision they have about how to make their cars for lowest cost.
Maybe for the small volume of buyers who opt for these options,
it would cost them more to modify their main production line to
accommodate these things than to do afterwards? And maybe
they figure they can recoup whatever extra costs there are to
doing it this way by building an aura around “Exclusive” options
and thereby charging more for them?

I posted this back in 2011. It might still be useful & relevant information
for this discussion.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...m-order-5.html

PAG has a number of agreements like these with their line assembly workers
that is negotiated between management & labor unions. PAG has decided this
arrangement works best for them. Who are we to judge?

But then for someone else in this forum (not the two gents above) to categorize
& label Porsche (
& to generalize about Germans) as 'stupid' because of this
peculiar post-assembly method at Exclusive Manufaktur is, in my opinion, rather
presumptuous, condescending, insensitive & insulting!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

^ .. Ive spent some time in Japan and their manufacturing process lines. Masters of the "just in time" and "fits correctly every time" . So acknowledge, its not that hard and clearly much more efficient to build specifics such as the exclusive items during the build process. No different really to any other option / alternative that manufacturing process go through. So you have to assume there is some other intangible reason they why the plug then remove and refit. Marketing agreements, different labour management strategies , who knows ? The cost would be insignificant to what we are charged... plenty of GP margin on each option as we have bemoaned several times.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:05 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Always great to hear from Eduardo who has deeper knowledge than most anyone here.

I had suspected there might also be a labor union issue influencing these decisions too.

One thing that still doesn’t make sense to me... Why is something an Exclusive Option on one model/trim that needs to be done in the custom tailoring shop while it’s standard on another model/trim on same line?

For example, headlight washer nozzles. They’re either chrome or black standard on most 911 models. In fact, they’re black on GT3 and chrome on GT3 Touring. Now let’s say you want chrome ones on a regular GT3, which isn’t available to choose in the configurator. So to get that, Porsche will make you pay a lot via CXX. Are you seriously telling me that it wouldn’t make more sense for the guys on the line to just grab the chrome ones and put those on the car in the normal line like they might have just done on the Touring that went by before?

I understand PTS painted bits are a whole other story. I’m just talking about common standard parts that are obviously readily available and used on the normal factory line all the day long on other cars. What’s the logic in sending a car to the custom shop to fit those parts instead of just doing it on the line? Can only imagine that has to do with labor union contracts... I’d never call Porsche stupid. They make too much profit and make products way too great to be that.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:10 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 626 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Always great to hear from Eduardo who has deeper knowledge than most anyone here.

I had suspected there might also be a labor union issue influencing these decisions too.

One thing that still doesn’t make sense to me... Why is something an Exclusive Option on one model/trim that needs to be done in the custom tailoring shop while it’s standard on another model/trim on same line?

For example, headlight washer nozzles. They’re either chrome or black standard on most 911 models. In fact, they’re black on GT3 and chrome on GT3 Touring. Now let’s say you want chrome ones on a regular GT3, which isn’t available to choose in the configurator. So to get that, Porsche will make you pay a lot via CXX. Are you seriously telling me that it wouldn’t make more sense for the guys on the line to just grab the chrome ones and put those on the car in the normal line like they might have just done on the Touring that went by before?

I understand PTS painted bits are a whole other story. I’m just talking about common standard parts that are obviously readily available and used on the normal factory line all the day long on other cars. What’s the logic in sending a car to the custom shop to fit those parts instead of just doing it on the line? Can only imagine that has to do with labor union contracts... I’d never call Porsche stupid. They make too much profit and make products way too great to be that.
I was amazed when the PTS washer nozzles through Exclusive were just $300 like the regular color painted nozzles.

Quick Reply: Schmee GT3 and tour of Exclusive Manufaktur