Sponsored by:

DEALER WANTS 20K OVER MSRP FOR GT3 ALLOCATION

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 05:15 AM
airkuhl993
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Default DEALER WANTS 20K OVER MSRP FOR GT3 ALLOCATION

I have been on a waitlist at my local dealer for about 6 months now for a GT3 allocation. He was adamant when I put my money down that they were a MSRP only dealer and that if there was an allocation that came through I would get my place. Well 6 months has passed and he called me today to ask if I would take an allocation from another dealer that he could get with the caveat being it was going to be 20k over MSRP. For me its a deal breaker but just wanted to post to let everyone know what the dealers are up too these days. He said he does not "anticipate" any more allocations coming his way from Porsche directly. I still don't understand how a car with so much demand is virtually unobtainable if you are not in the know. Why do they go through the exercises of releasing the car to the world and then limiting who can buy it? Am I missing something in this equation from a business standpoint?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Dealers have and will be "up to this" for a long time to come as long as Porsche makes cars in quantities with more buyers than there are units.....welcome to the Porsche GT lineup
Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by airkuhl993
just wanted to post to let everyone know what the dealers are up too these days.
Thanks for the heads up. I will use caution moving forward.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

You are getting squeezed for the juice. A LOT of dealers must have felt sour grapes when the GT4 was being sold for profit on the secondary market right out of their hands. Now they got smart on the Supply side.
Originally Posted by airkuhl993
I have been on a waitlist at my local dealer for about 6 months now for a GT3 allocation. He was adamant when I put my money down that they were a MSRP only dealer and that if there was an allocation that came through I would get my place. Well 6 months has passed and he called me today to ask if I would take an allocation from another dealer that he could get with the caveat being it was going to be 20k over MSRP. For me its a deal breaker but just wanted to post to let everyone know what the dealers are up too these days. He said he does not "anticipate" any more allocations coming his way from Porsche directly. I still don't understand how a car with so much demand is virtually unobtainable if you are not in the know. Why do they go through the exercises of releasing the car to the world and then limiting who can buy it? Am I missing something in this equation from a business standpoint?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Had the same thing the other day from champion porsche, +$10K. Call around, I got my allocation that way.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Originally Posted by Homeles
Had the same thing the other day from champion porsche, +$10K. Call around, I got my allocation that way.
With all the ADM's flying around that's not a horrible deal.....
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm confused. Your dealer has no allocations left, but he tries to do you a solid by getting one from another dealer at a premium and you're upset with him?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:56 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like they are just trying to help you out since they can't. Waiting an entire 6 months for a GT car at MSRP??? That's warning bell right there. Your dealer probably has zero or very few allocations. Some people on here had deposits for 2 years or more. If you really want the car at this stage and be able to build it that's probably your only shot.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:01 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

get a Mac!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm confused. Your dealer has no allocations left, but he tries to do you a solid by getting one from another dealer at a premium and you're upset with him?
OP is just upset with all the GT games, same as everyone here.
For this extra $20K, it would be easier to accept if Porsche simply raise the MSRP by $20K, and make sure everyone can get one.
Straight forward deal, no begging, no flippers, no BS.

Someone who accept dealer charge would say this... 'ask yourself if 991.2 MSRP is $10-$20k higher, will you still buy it?' -- make sense
Some will just not pay any up-charge because it is just not right for a repeating good customer. -- make sense too.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Bottom line if you want the car at that price then take it.....if not pass....your dealer is only trying to help you out.....it's not like they told you MSRP and then tried to sell their car for over......someone else will take it if you don't
Old 01-31-2018, 12:19 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
Sounds like they are just trying to help you out since they can't. Waiting an entire 6 months for a GT car at MSRP??? That's warning bell right there. Your dealer probably has zero or very few allocations. Some people on here had deposits for 2 years or more. If you really want the car at this stage and be able to build it that's probably your only shot.
It does happen. I waited 6 months and had my car 3 months latter. I have paid over for a car. A Ferrari. A used one at that. I owned that car for 3 years and didn't mind a bit.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:23 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 240 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
OP is just upset with all the GT games, same as everyone here.
For this extra $20K, it would be easier to accept if Porsche simply raise the MSRP by $20K, and make sure everyone can get one.
Straight forward deal, no begging, no flippers, no BS.

Someone who accept dealer charge would say this... 'ask yourself if 991.2 MSRP is $10-$20k higher, will you still buy it?' -- make sense
Some will just not pay any up-charge because it is just not right for a repeating good customer. -- make sense too.
Doesn’t matter what the msrp is. Raise it another $20k, and due to limited supply and/or great demand, they would still command additional premium/adm. Higher msrp is not the solution; greater supply is.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:30 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I think first thing you need to do is spec a car on the website..
see what your mrsp will come to and then go from there. Sple dealers could be asking for 20k over but your dream spec could come out to the same price. Lots of dealer flips are high mrsp, so it all comes down to your preference. Lots of BS options gets ticked off when someone is looking to flip the car or when a dealer is speccing it to flip.

if i was in the market for a new gt3 and the car was going to be a keeper id want it specced exactly to my preference.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 111 Posts

As others have said numerous times while sharing their experiences, what happened to you is not uncommon. That doesn't make it "feel" any better. My advice is to get past the emotional argument of "is this fair" because I think most will agree it's not "fair". I would only objectively calculate if an additional 20K is worth it to you to remove the additional work and doubt required to try to get another allocation. Take the ADM out of the equation as MSRP could be 20K more with 0 ADM and you will still have to calculate what I stated. Hoping and praying the game changes is much more effort than determining if you even want to play the game.

That being said, I think I would see if they take 15K and go from there. If you really like the GT3, the internal monologue of how you got screwed out of 15K will be replaced with how happy you are you procured the car now.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: DEALER WANTS 20K OVER MSRP FOR GT3 ALLOCATION