DEALER WANTS 20K OVER MSRP FOR GT3 ALLOCATION

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 PM
FormulaOneAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great story!

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Just in case some of you have only been in the 991 game, dealers have been doing this for decades, Porsche dealers. I don’t remember a ADM ON THE 996 GT3 I bought a loaded one that was 4 weeks old from a mortgage broker in 2003 for 15,000 under MSRP because he was making so much money he wanted a Ferrari ( he had a Eastern European wife who just had a boob job, and a new house in Huntington Beach). But with the 997.1 there was a 1000,-2000 markup. But when the RS came out it skyrocketed to $30k and higher. I remember Manhattan Porsche asking $100,000 over for a black with orange trim. Then the 997.2s came out I was out of the game. Then the 997.2 RS came out is was game on again. So this is nothing new. It’s business as normal for some of theses guys and they love making us jump through hoops while they pile up the $$$. That’s why CJ’s Porsche Fresno is so refreshing but there are more of us than dealerships like Fresno Porsche. In fact typically they are more like my local dealer where they “thought” it’s a good idea to call the Auto Gallery in Los Angeles to get a “ fair “ market price for a GT3 in Idaho
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM
FormulaOneAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats! Looks like it worked out for you for $10K over MSRP.

Originally Posted by airkuhl993
I have been on a waitlist at my local dealer for about 6 months now for a GT3 allocation. He was adamant when I put my money down that they were a MSRP only dealer and that if there was an allocation that came through I would get my place. Well 6 months has passed and he called me today to ask if I would take an allocation from another dealer that he could get with the caveat being it was going to be 20k over MSRP. For me its a deal breaker but just wanted to post to let everyone know what the dealers are up too these days. He said he does not "anticipate" any more allocations coming his way from Porsche directly. I still don't understand how a car with so much demand is virtually unobtainable if you are not in the know. Why do they go through the exercises of releasing the car to the world and then limiting who can buy it? Am I missing something in this equation from a business standpoint?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:46 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

It is getting crazy. For example: In 2010 I got the first new GT3 in our county. Purchased for 5% under MSRP. In 2012 bought a used 2011 GT3 RS with 4K miles, no track use, for $112.5K. Sold it a year or so later for $125K, and thought I was smart guy....what a dumb ***, wish I had it today. In 2015 I purchased a pre-owned GT3 with 4K miles for $8K over original MSRP. Today, I have a 991.2 GT3 ordered, due in November, for MSRP. I feel like a lucky guy!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

What you are saying really isn't new. Six months is still way too late. I've been on the waitlist for 2 years and that guaranteed me a car at MSRP. It is terrible, but if you want a GT car at MSRP (the next model year specifically), you gotta get on the waiting list now. Sadly, until practices, supply, and demand changes, dealership aren't going to change. I'm not happy about it and I wish PCNA would take a more active role, but this is just how it is
Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
What you are saying really isn't new. Six months is still way too late. I've been on the waitlist for 2 years and that guaranteed me a car at MSRP. It is terrible, but if you want a GT car at MSRP (the next model year specifically), you gotta get on the waiting list now. Sadly, until practices, supply, and demand changes, dealership aren't going to change. I'm not happy about it and I wish PCNA would take a more active role, but this is just how it is
PCNA is loving it, people that are willing to pay ADM are happy, dealers are happy and so is Porsche. They don’t care about ethic.

Quick Reply: DEALER WANTS 20K OVER MSRP FOR GT3 ALLOCATION