Sponsored by:

GT3.2 height?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GT3.2 height?

Quick question for someone that has their GT3.2 already. What is the measured height of the car?

I see it is 50 inches in the published specs, but would appreciate a measurement. Planning to put a lift in the garage and it's tight, so I have only the smallest margin of error.

The specs for my Spyder say 50 inches also, but it measures closer to 49
Old 01-22-2018, 12:32 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

its under 50, I used a golf club and a level and then measured that. As scientific as I could get with the front in the lowered position. I want to say 49.5, but definitely under 50
Old 01-22-2018, 01:18 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy
its under 50, I used a golf club and a level and then measured that. As scientific as I could get with the front in the lowered position. I want to say 49.5, but definitely under 50
Great - thanks!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Quick question for someone that has their GT3.2 already. What is the measured height of the car?

I see it is 50 inches in the published specs, but would appreciate a measurement. Planning to put a lift in the garage and it's tight, so I have only the smallest margin of error.

The specs for my Spyder say 50 inches also, but it measures closer to 49
i have my. 2 gt3 on the floor and 981 spyder up top the fit is fine need 10’ ceiling
Old 01-23-2018, 02:05 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
i have my. 2 gt3 on the floor and 981 spyder up top the fit is fine need 10’ ceiling
Thanks. I have a very low ceiling at 111 inches. It's unfinished so was planning to bump it up where the roof would go and finish it up. But when I saw that new scissor lift from bendpack, I thought it may work without the bump up - just need to be precise.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:41 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Thanks. I have a very low ceiling at 111 inches. It's unfinished so was planning to bump it up where the roof would go and finish it up. But when I saw that new scissor lift from bendpack, I thought it may work without the bump up - just need to be precise.
111 is going to be tight. Consider you must lift the car off the locks to release it using bendpak.

see my garage renovation here...

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287203
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

On my Bendpak you have to raise it about 2" to release the pneumatic unlocks before lowering it so keep that in mind. Same thing with raising it. You have to go a little beyond the point it will ultimately rest at and then release the pressure so it settles down onto the mechanical lock.
Also the bolts coming out the top of the corner post extend about 3" above the top of the post level so keep that in mind. The amount the bolts extend will be variable based on how much the cables need adjustment with your particular setup. Could be more or less than the 3" mine is.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Great - thanks guys. Looks like it will bump right up against the ceiling height I have so may need to move a rafter.

54" - lowest locking point
6" - ramp height - anyone can verify??
49.5" - car height
1.5" - extra to raise before dropping on lock
----
111" Total height

Or I will at least put it all in place before I finish the ceiling to check!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:49 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

The ramps on my bendpak HD9 series are 4.5"
The actual locking mechanism in the second picture makes it real hard to figure how the lift sits in relation to the ladder rung for a lack of a better turn. IT is very difficult to see in and tell exactly where it is sitting. I would say the ramp in its resting position actually sits lower that the actual notch it is parked at. Well I know it sits lower because you have to lift it up those couple inches we previously mentioned to release the pneumatic lock before lowering. If you need any other Bendpak specific measurements let me know.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:58 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

This is looking up into the locking mechanism. The silver part the red arrow is pointing at is the actual safety lock resting on the ladder rung it climbs up. As you can see it is up there a ways inside of the second picture from my previous post.

I stuck my tape measure up there and best I can tell the step it is sitting on is 86" off the ground and the top of the ramp is 84.5" off the ground. So the ramp sits roughly 1.5" below the locking step. (My lift is the extra tall version but the 1.5" gap should remain the same regardless). That may just give you the extra space you need.
I think you could rig up a mark or lever coming off the corner post above the motor that would show you your absolute do not raise above this line mark. Would be a good visual safety reminder for you to make sure you don't go to high and run the car into the ceiling.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:01 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

One more thing. If 54" is the lowest locking point that would put the top of the ramp at 52.5" and with 4.5" thick ramps the bottom of the ramp would be at 48".
I see you say you need 49-50 for the bottom car. That does not look like it will work. The next rung up is an additional 4". That is what you need to consider I believe. Also depending on how level your garage floor is you have to make small adjustments at each corner to get the looks locking into place at all the same time. Those ladders in the corner posts it climbs up have some up/down adjustability during the install process. That shouldn't really change your total height much but if you are so close that you are under 1-2" of margin that could get tricky. After a month or so and I had some cable stretch I had to adjust for level and that changed where those ladders where sitting probably +/- 1" in my case.

With 58" locking height to allow bottom of ramp to be at 52" that leaves you with:
ramp at 56.5" + 50" for the car = 106.5" That leaves you a bigger margin than you were thinking for raising to get it off the locks and any adjustment factors for level.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tape measure is out 111” w the lift in a locked safety slot

IK garage floor needs a good bath welcome to the north east

Old 01-26-2018, 01:29 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awew911
111 is going to be tight. Consider you must lift the car off the locks to release it using bendpak.

see my garage renovation here...

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=287203
Thanks - spot on and very helpful! Nice garage!!
Old 01-26-2018, 01:36 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
One more thing. If 54" is the lowest locking point that would put the top of the ramp at 52.5" and with 4.5" thick ramps the bottom of the ramp would be at 48".
I see you say you need 49-50 for the bottom car. That does not look like it will work. The next rung up is an additional 4". That is what you need to consider I believe. Also depending on how level your garage floor is you have to make small adjustments at each corner to get the looks locking into place at all the same time. Those ladders in the corner posts it climbs up have some up/down adjustability during the install process. That shouldn't really change your total height much but if you are so close that you are under 1-2" of margin that could get tricky. After a month or so and I had some cable stretch I had to adjust for level and that changed where those ladders where sitting probably +/- 1" in my case.

With 58" locking height to allow bottom of ramp to be at 52" that leaves you with:
ramp at 56.5" + 50" for the car = 106.5" That leaves you a bigger margin than you were thinking for raising to get it off the locks and any adjustment factors for level.
Wow - thanks for taking the time to send the super detailed posts (and pics)! Super helpful.

As a result I am pretty sure the HD9 will actually work. The scissor version I was initially thinking of will not.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:52 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
Tape measure is out 111” w the lift in a locked safety slot

IK garage floor needs a good bath welcome to the north east

[/LEFT]
Ah - perfect! Looks like it will definitely fit.

Was thinking if in a pinch I could leave a notch out between 2 rafters and the 2 ribs on top of the Spyder would fit in there a little.

What setting do you have that on - 54"?

Quick Reply: GT3.2 height?