Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Clubsport" build underway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 10:35 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

Over a three-day event I put nine heat cycles on Trofeo Rs and they were just as fast on the ninth as they were on the first. I had Tire Rack heat cycle them prior to shipping to see if that would help the longevity and the jury is still out until next season.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:48 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm running Trofeo R on the 991 Turbo S right now.

There have been at least 3 different compound/construction batches of Trofeo R since 2014.

On the track, they stick with similar levels of grip to the Hoosier R7. I run them at 28 front and 30 rear, -3.5f/-3.0 rear camber (my TTS springs are stiffer than my RS springs). Trofeo R require a lot of camber, the compound is the same across the tire, not the hybrid MPSC2 or worse 2R.

They are grippy, avoid them in the rain. This is my set #6, 3 days is all I get, I had to switch to a non-Hoosier in the TurboS, due to cording the rear Hoosiers in 2 track sessions (RWS with twice the turning angle could be a factor here).

However, don't expect a set of Trofeo R to give you a 2:10 lap time around NCM, it's not going to happen. Also don't expect a set of scrub Pirelli slicks give you a 2:12 lap around Sebring in a .1RS, not happening either.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:07 PM
trompazo
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
And so it begins.....I think I'm more excited about the toe steer motor spherical inserts than anything. Quick shakedown this Friday, before a full event next weekend.

Did you have to use PIWIS to reset the RWS after the new inner toe bearing install? Thanks.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

How do your mods affect the rear wheel steer system? Is there any rubbing as a result? Awesome stuff btw!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't wait for your great project! Subscribed!
Old 10-31-2019, 10:03 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
I'm running Trofeo R on the 991 Turbo S right now.

There have been at least 3 different compound/construction batches of Trofeo R since 2014.

On the track, they stick with similar levels of grip to the Hoosier R7. I run them at 28 front and 30 rear, -3.5f/-3.0 rear camber (my TTS springs are stiffer than my RS springs). Trofeo R require a lot of camber, the compound is the same across the tire, not the hybrid MPSC2 or worse 2R.

They are grippy, avoid them in the rain. This is my set #6, 3 days is all I get, I had to switch to a non-Hoosier in the TurboS, due to cording the rear Hoosiers in 2 track sessions (RWS with twice the turning angle could be a factor here).

However, don't expect a set of Trofeo R to give you a 2:10 lap time around NCM, it's not going to happen. Also don't expect a set of scrub Pirelli slicks give you a 2:12 lap around Sebring in a .1RS, not happening either.
Thanks, I previously ran -3.6f/-3.0r on Cup2 and it was too much, so backed it down a little bit for testing Trofeo. Will likely bump it back up a bit.

FYI - I've already run multiple 2:10 laps at NCM on Trofeo-R. See above AIM. I did it pretty easily actually, not even trying for fast laps, as a 2:09 is definitely do-able.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:07 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trompazo
Did you have to use PIWIS to reset the RWS after the new inner toe bearing install? Thanks.
No. You simply unhook the battery, and then unplug the rear toe steer arms for bearing install. Then hook everything back up and all is perfectly fine. No PIWIS needed.

My shop installed them and don't use a PIWIS. Also, same protocol provided to me by Emotion.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
How do your mods affect the rear wheel steer system? Is there any rubbing as a result? Awesome stuff btw!
It was a big improvement in feel. No rubbing. You can still feel it, but it's much more direct in that now you know it's not the rubber deflecting, so movement is more precise at the rear. In some cases. The car is much easier to slide around as well, much more predictable.

I can totally see why all the mags raved about the RS, as it has monoballs everywhere, and it's def. a big upgrade for the track.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:34 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I previously ran -3.6f/-3.0r on Cup2 and it was too much, so backed it down a little bit for testing Trofeo. Will likely bump it back up a bit.

FYI - I've already run multiple 2:10 laps at NCM on Trofeo-R. See above AIM. I did it pretty easily actually, not even trying for fast laps, as a 2:09 is definitely do-able.
Hence my observations. Don't expect the public to repeat a proven performance formula by MVez, Orthojoe or Trakcar and obtain the same results. Nope, not happening.

By the way, the overall fastest lap at the Inaugural SCCA Time Trials National Championship last month was a 2:08.6 by a Viper built for SCCA Club Racing. You can run Hoosiers and slicks in the Unlimited class, all other classes require non-ACR 200TW tires.

Link to the near 200 drivers results>>> https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1...ssions/overall
Old 11-01-2019, 01:53 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S
Hence my observations. Don't expect the public to repeat a proven performance formula by MVez, Orthojoe or Trakcar and obtain the same results. Nope, not happening.

By the way, the overall fastest lap at the Inaugural SCCA Time Trials National Championship last month was a 2:08.6 by a Viper built for SCCA Club Racing. You can run Hoosiers and slicks in the Unlimited class, all other classes require non-ACR 200TW tires.

Link to the near 200 drivers results>>> https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1...ssions/overall
Yeah, too bad Unlimited requires full cages.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:42 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Lots of cars ran Unlimited without a cage at the National championship. I skipped the event because my GT3 is cage-free. I have a pending letter to them, as I'm not keen to run on 200TW tires, so any decent street tire with less than 200TW and any decent track tire sends me to Unlimited. If they want to grow the program, that rule needs to go away. We might see some changes in the ruleset along these lines this coming year, as that requirement came from the SCCA Club Racing folks that are growing this new program.

Locally, I ran with no cage, and told the local officials that requirements for a cage would eliminate more than 2/3 of the typical track day and DE enthusiasts as they use track-oriented tires that sit at 180TW or less.

Trofeo-R are my favorite drive-to/from track day tire, and it is nice to have the option to run Trofeo-R without bumping into a class that is intended for factory race cars, NASCAR road course cars, and lots of other pure race cars.

Question on Ohlins (I'm considering them as my next mod):

Can you adjust compression and rebound without removing wheels, or jacking up the car?
Does Ohlins provide a baseline setup for compression/rebound?
Does Ohlins have chassis engineers available for hire to setup the shocks for a given racetrack?

thanks,
Old 11-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A/S
Lots of cars ran Unlimited without a cage at the National championship. I skipped the event because my GT3 is cage-free. I have a pending letter to them, as I'm not keen to run on 200TW tires, so any decent street tire with less than 200TW and any decent track tire sends me to Unlimited. If they want to grow the program, that rule needs to go away. We might see some changes in the ruleset along these lines this coming year, as that requirement came from the SCCA Club Racing folks that are growing this new program.

Locally, I ran with no cage, and told the local officials that requirements for a cage would eliminate more than 2/3 of the typical track day and DE enthusiasts as they use track-oriented tires that sit at 180TW or less.

Trofeo-R are my favorite drive-to/from track day tire, and it is nice to have the option to run Trofeo-R without bumping into a class that is intended for factory race cars, NASCAR road course cars, and lots of other pure race cars.

Question on Ohlins (I'm considering them as my next mod):

Can you adjust compression and rebound without removing wheels, or jacking up the car?
Does Ohlins provide a baseline setup for compression/rebound?
Does Ohlins have chassis engineers available for hire to setup the shocks for a given racetrack?

thanks,
Figures, the rules stated a cage was required if I remember correctly. Couldn't agree more though. That's why we all skipped too. Most of these fast modern cars are engineered around sticky tires. The GT3 just gets better the faster it goes. When I'm running DH takeoffs the car feels amazing, and you can feel that's it's engineered to go so much faster. It feels like a cup car. So to use 200TW is pointless to me. We race in Grid Life GLTC, so we were happy when we heard that SCCA/Global TA/Gridlife were all banding together to offer this, but either they are purposely doing that to keep out the really fast modern cars, or it's purely a safety thing, which I get. But SCCA TT is supposed to be the very first ladder in the Time Attack hierarchy, and those unlimited cars are SLOW compared to the crazy fast, insane Global/Gridlife Unlimited cars. I hope they relax the rules a bit too, but time will tell. There are virtually no German cars at these events, they need to tap that market.

Yes, you just turn the wheels and adjust. The rear you either lay on the ground and adjust or I just jack up a slight bit and makes it even easier. Very easy in general.
Yes, they provide a baseline setup that is very good. I'm literally within 1-4 clicks of it at all times, even on DH slicks. 1 click in either direction makes a noticeable change.
No, they don't do that, and you don't need to. They spent a ton of road/track time developing these shocks for the chassis, and the fact that they continued to adjust spring rates tells you so. The current setup with baseline settings is honestly all you need. It's amazing right out of the box, and will work for virtually any track, with maybe a click or two in either direction.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:45 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 101 Posts

What size Pirelli DHs are you using on the 19" BBS wheels? In another thread someone mentioned Front - 255/650/19 - Rear - 305/690/19.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krell
What size Pirelli DHs are you using on the 19" BBS wheels? In another thread someone mentioned Front - 255/650/19 - Rear - 305/690/19.
275-675-19 front
315-705-19 rear

Perfect rolling diameters. Fit perfect on 9" or 9.5" front, 12" rears. No changes needed between stock 20" wheel ride heights or setup. These are the current Ferrari challenge sizes.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

275-675-19 front
315-705-19 rear

Perfect rolling diameters. Fit perfect on 9" or 9.5" front, 12" rears. No changes needed between stock 20" wheel ride heights or setup. These are the current Ferrari challenge sizes.
They are like crack. Difficult to go back once you've run these.

Quick Reply: "Clubsport" build underway