Perhaps you got the .2 engine, an upgrade for your troubles courtesy of Porsche

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!
Thanks!! I was indeed hoping to get a .2 engine but didn't happen
Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Forestek
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mech33
Thanks for sharing. How long was your car down for service?
My car is at the workshop since early December, around 2 weeks for early diagnostics and get approval from PAG for new engine and 2 years warranty + 2 weeks to order/ship/install the new engine.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Forestek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tstafford
Porsche steps up once again. Recurring theme - they deserve our business and loyalty.
I fully agree but I have to say that in order to get there I got a lot of support from the Dealer and without them pushing and being on my side it would not have been such a smooth process. Special thanks to Porsche Ali & Sons in Abu Dhabi!
Old 01-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Fwiw: This year, I drove my RS for 15 trackdays and the Scuderia Hanseat Course on the Nürburgring, approx 6000km in total. My total oil consumtion was 0,7 litre this season The car was built in april 2016 and I drove approx 2000km break in with a oil change at 3000km.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS oil consumption

my RS (built may 2016) used oil vey excessively at the beginning - about 1.5 - 2liters/1000km without any track driving and doing proper run-in preuninger-style. my PC told me that it will normalize when i hit 10k km. actually, i did not believe them at all but they were right. at 10-11K km oil consumption started to normalize and now at 14k km the car is down to 0.25l/1000km or even less.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 748 Posts

FWIW.
Mine initially used 200cc per track day, then 100cc then a little every few track days and now it doesn't use oil anymore between 3000 mile intervals.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,857 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
FWIW.
Mine initially used 200cc per track day, then 100cc then a little every few track days and now it doesn't use oil anymore between 3000 mile intervals.
I wonder if this improvement is from the reduction of blow-by past the piston rings, in the valvetrain, or elsewhere? Interesting that this is some kind of brake-in occurring over a long period...
Old 01-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Mika911
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Hmm, interesting. I keep having to fill mine up. The car is purely used to drive to/on/from track an I put it down to a relatively high fuel consumption combined with an over-sensitive meter. So I have never really kept stock of how much exactly it uses. Mine is a July '15 car, so out of warranty, but do wonder what is 'too much' and requires an engine swap.. will keep a closer eye on this next season and discuss with my local mechanic.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:52 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Forestek
Despite the scary title of my thread I hope I will not get you all scared and worried about your RS

In April 2016 I took delivery of my 991 GT3RS, I did a very careful breakin during around 1000km under 4000RPM and gradually increasing RPM to reach red line at around 2000km with oil change just after. Yes I was careful and it didn't bother me that much to be honest I was just enjoying every minute spent in my car . I was running stock exhaust until around 5000km then I put a SW bypass and at 10000Km I put GMG side delete, that was the best sounding car ever .

Once I started to use the engine properly and revving the car, I noticed an excessive oil consumption of about 1L/1000km in normal use and up to 1,5L for a 4 hours track day with always a smell of burnt oil in the car. Everybody was telling me, don't worry the car has still low mileage it will go away. Fine... up to the moment it is not fine anymore , after 13000Km done roughly 70% on road and 30% on track my car was still showing such high oil consumption, up to the point that I couldn't go the drive without oil refill in the trunk!! The good side was my car was always running on fresh and clean oil .

I took it to the Porsche dealer and they told me to do an oil consumption test in order to follow the PAG process, driving up to 1000km and do not add oil and stop when it's flashing red, I did that and I could only do 600Km before it shows the red message and don't drive the car anymore (1.4L oil consumption in 600km of road driving).

Car back to workshop and they started to do basic diagnostics, camera in cylinders didn't show much oil and no damages, car was smoking a little at cold start, all these evidences were sent to PAG in Germany and 2 days later they notified me that they will change my engine!! Without further investigations from the dealer. The dealer thinks it could be the piston rings, don't know and I'm not sure if I will be able to know one day. I have to say that I felt relieved to get a new engine.

They said after looking at my engine fabrication date, it was an "early" production engine, they decided to change it, I understand that several upgrades went into the RS engine (lubrication, material...) through the short production, I'm therefore happy to get an "updated" engine even if they gave me what they call a "reconditioned" engine which look completely new to me, together with a 2 years warranty extension on the car. They were not able to explain me really what a "reconditioned" engine is but after fighting for 2 weeks I had couldn't get a fully new engine.

I'm not sure if I'm an isolated case or if there are more RS "early" engines with issues but despite the inconvenience of missing several track days I have to say that I'm very pleased how PAG stand behind their cars and how quick they reacted to provide me an engine (2 weeks including Xmas/NY break).

I just wanted to share my story and the big learning is DRIVE YOUR CARS TO THE MAX WITH A BIG SMILE because if I would not have done that, I would have probably never seen that issue and I'm sure it will have showed the day after the warranty expire .

Kenny
Glad to see it worked out. Hope to see you soon ~ Tarek
Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,794 Likes on 936 Posts

Seems that stuff did go wrong with maybe a handful of RS engine replacements the last 30 months, but Porsche hasn't given any that I know of a hard time about a new engine.
Fingers crossed mine expires before I run out of warranty, so I get a bit of extra warranty time out of it.
Don't think you have anything to worry about given your break in procedure
Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 748 Posts

2 weeks till another 10 track days @ Sebring :-)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Forestek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mika911
Hmm, interesting. I keep having to fill mine up. The car is purely used to drive to/on/from track an I put it down to a relatively high fuel consumption combined with an over-sensitive meter. So I have never really kept stock of how much exactly it uses. Mine is a July '15 car, so out of warranty, but do wonder what is 'too much' and requires an engine swap.. will keep a closer eye on this next season and discuss with my local mechanic.
Well I can just say that what triggered Porsche to have a look at my car was my last track day in Yas Marina where my car required a 0.5L top up every 6-8 Laps...
Old 01-02-2018, 11:37 PM
Forestek
Intermediate

FWIW.
thats's sound like a dream to me I hope my new engine will be like that!
Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Forestek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Glad to see it worked out. Hope to see you soon ~ Tarek
Thanks Tarek!!
I hope to see you soon also
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Porsche steps up once again. Recurring theme - they deserve our business and loyalty.
+1

Quick Reply: 991 GT3RS excessive oil consumption - Engine change