Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991 GT3RS excessive oil consumption - Engine change (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1041570-991-gt3rs-excessive-oil-consumption-engine-change.html)

Forestek 01-02-2018 10:02 AM

991 GT3RS excessive oil consumption - Engine change

Despite the scary title of my thread I hope I will not get you all scared and worried about your RS :rolleyes:

In April 2016 I took delivery of my 991 GT3RS, I did a very careful breakin during around 1000km under 4000RPM and gradually increasing RPM to reach red line at around 2000km with oil change just after. Yes I was careful and it didn't bother me that much to be honest I was just enjoying every minute spent in my car :). I was running stock exhaust until around 5000km then I put a SW bypass and at 10000Km I put GMG side delete, that was the best sounding car ever :).

Once I started to use the engine properly and revving the car, I noticed an excessive oil consumption of about 1L/1000km in normal use and up to 1,5L for a 4 hours track day with always a smell of burnt oil in the car. Everybody was telling me, don't worry the car has still low mileage it will go away. Fine... up to the moment it is not fine anymore :crying:, after 13000Km done roughly 70% on road and 30% on track my car was still showing such high oil consumption, up to the point that I couldn't go the drive without oil refill in the trunk!! The good side was my car was always running on fresh and clean oil :).

I took it to the Porsche dealer and they told me to do an oil consumption test in order to follow the PAG process, driving up to 1000km and do not add oil and stop when it's flashing red, I did that and I could only do 600Km before it shows the red message and don't drive the car anymore (1.4L oil consumption in 600km of road driving).

Car back to workshop and they started to do basic diagnostics, camera in cylinders didn't show much oil and no damages, car was smoking a little at cold start, all these evidences were sent to PAG in Germany and 2 days later they notified me that they will change my engine!! Without further investigations from the dealer. The dealer thinks it could be the piston rings, don't know and I'm not sure if I will be able to know one day. I have to say that I felt relieved to get a new engine.

They said after looking at my engine fabrication date, it was an "early" production engine, they decided to change it, I understand that several upgrades went into the RS engine (lubrication, material...) through the short production, I'm therefore happy to get an "updated" engine even if they gave me what they call a "reconditioned" engine which look completely new to me, together with a 2 years warranty extension on the car. They were not able to explain me really what a "reconditioned" engine is but after fighting for 2 weeks I had couldn't get a fully new engine.https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5e0ea9fb2d.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm an isolated case or if there are more RS "early" engines with issues but despite the inconvenience of missing several track days I have to say that I'm very pleased how PAG stand behind their cars and how quick they reacted to provide me an engine (2 weeks including Xmas/NY break).

I just wanted to share my story and the big learning is DRIVE YOUR CARS TO THE MAX WITH A BIG SMILE because if I would not have done that, I would have probably never seen that issue and I'm sure it will have showed the day after the warranty expire :).

Kenny

Jimmy-D 01-02-2018 10:43 AM

That is an excessive amount of oil being used in my opinion. Could just be one of those rare instances where the engine just was no good. Not every engine they out in these cars is going to be perfect. Some will need to be changed out -due to failure. It is only when the number of failures exceeds what they have deemed to be a normal amount.

shapiroeric 01-02-2018 10:43 AM

Well sounds like positive outcome and PAG stepped up.....I will say I went through an engine change in my 2010 Dodge Viper.....it was a reconditioned engine from Arrow Racing....it was better than the original....I'm by no means a high level expert but even I could feel the difference.....I'm certain your engine will be top notch

Jimmy-D 01-02-2018 10:48 AM

^What is a reconditioned engine???

wareaglescott 01-02-2018 10:57 AM

I would think they will take your original engine and "recondition" it and it will continue life in someone else's car at some point in the future. Seems you will be better off than you were and wherever your original engine ends up after it its reconditioned it will help someone else out that is having some issue. Thanks for sharing your experience.

pitt911 01-02-2018 11:01 AM

German sport car engines can be notorious for burning oil
I never had this problem with my GT cars
but I have owned several M and AMG cars and they all sipped a lot of oil some to the tune of 1 quart for every 1 k miles and I don't track my own cars.
I was told it was " normal"
obviously not the case here , and i am glad they are taking care of you

Kobalt 01-02-2018 11:08 AM

Fwiw: friends RS got a new engine last winter due to oil consumption.

consolidated 01-02-2018 11:20 AM

duble

consolidated 01-02-2018 11:24 AM

Happy to see Porsche take care of this no muss no fuss. The two engines I've had from Porsche both required a core return, despite one being blown to pieces (Cayman). Bet your motor at worse has a remanufactured block and a few parts.

Break it in on the track and seat those piston ring comments in 3, 2, 1...

CYKBC 01-02-2018 11:42 AM

Perhaps you got the .2 engine, an upgrade for your troubles courtesy of Porsche :D

Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

Mech33 01-02-2018 11:53 AM

Thanks for sharing. How long was your car down for service?

tstafford 01-02-2018 11:53 AM

Porsche steps up once again. Recurring theme - they deserve our business and loyalty.

consolidated 01-02-2018 12:05 PM

I agree. Was just reading on the C7 board about the class-action lawsuit they have against GM for the track ready Z06 that's more limp than stiff...now how does that sort of failure make it to market? Big difference to the COG outcome here.

TRAKCAR 01-02-2018 01:29 PM

Seems that stuff did go wrong with maybe a handful of RS engine replacements the last 30 months, but Porsche hasn't given any that I know of a hard time about a new engine.
Fingers crossed mine expires before I run out of warranty, so I get a bit of extra warranty time out of it.

Forestek 01-02-2018 01:33 PM

Interesting to know I'm not the only one...