Sponsored by:

What Cage to Install in 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:59 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Any emprical data or study to support this? I am on the fence whether to put a bar in or not. I find the 6 point belts uncomfortable and am perfectly happy with a LWB seat and 3 points for track, and my only fear is the rollover.
There is that one video of the guys in the Middle East crashing the GT3 and ending up on the roof... That's all I've seen.

Not sure how much weight the Cantrell bar adds, but it's likely not going to impact my DE Championship standings. Besides, the weight I just added going from PCCB to steel blows that roll bar weight differential out the window.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 633 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I suspect any of the mainstream bars BBI, RSS, GMG and Cantrell could easily defeat the mounting bolts/locations. Thus, I suspect the thicker Cantrell bar is just adding weight. GMG makes a bar that closest resembles the Porsche Techquipment, but I don't like their attitude towards supporting their products post-sale. For this reason, I'm leaning towards BBI. The double X is probably overkill. Keep in mind that these cars are solid enough these days that they could survive a roll without a bar to support the roof.
BBi also makes a more clubsport-like version of their bar that reduces the number of cross bars and adds threaded inserts for belt attachment. If I went with a full half cage in the back, this is what I would go with.

Last edited by Mech33; 12-19-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:28 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
BBi also makes a more clubsport-like version of their bar that reduces the number of cross bars and adds threaded inserts for belt attachment. If I went with a full half cage in the back, this is what I would go with.
I'm installing a BBi rollbar in my brother-in-law's '16 GT3 on Saturday, FWIW. Don't know which one he has.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Just had a BBi installed and a friend did one himself as well in last week. From what I understand they went in very smoothly. Jerry at BBi will usally reply to any questions within a day.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:45 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 75 Posts

I installed a BBI 2 years ago. It is solid and only required one cut of each side of the lower shelf tray to install. Most are safe enough for the type of impacts we are likely to see at a DE. A big safety advantage of a 6 point is ability to use a Hans. If I was going to use a three point only, which happens in student cars, I would definitely invest in a hybrid neck restraint system to support the extra weight of a helmet on my neck during an impact.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Originally Posted by Palting
Any emprical data or study to support this? I am on the fence whether to put a bar in or not. I find the 6 point belts uncomfortable and am perfectly happy with a LWB seat and 3 points for track, and my only fear is the rollover.
So you just made a big investment in a very fast car. If you are not going to the track 3 ways and roll bar are fine. But if you are going to track the GT3 now is the time to think about safety, at least what you can control. A simple roll bar like those discussed here will help in a roll over but how much is never clear and I'm not really sure that's the main reason for putting it in. The main reason for me is to be able to use a 6 point harness and hans device that will definitely provide you much better protection in case of a more common impact type accident. Plus you will stop moving around in your seat and be a better/safer driver. There is no way you are not moving around with 3 way belts unless your in the beginner run groups and even then. The belts move out of the way for daily driving and you get use to them on the track pretty quick and eventually you would miss being locked into your seat so well.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I've always wondered how those small bolts mounted in single shear would hold up in a crash. Just thinking.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I've got an RSS cage in my 997.2 RS, which is ok. Not the biggest fan as my seat back can rub when its all the way back. I'm looking at the GMG LMS or WEC. Anyone have pros/cons for others like the BBi, Cantrell cages?
Find one that reinforces the mounting points. As in, during an impact, the whole cage does't just punch right through the body in white through the mounting points.

RoW cars have reinforcement right from the factory for mounting cages, North America cars have a different body in white that don't have the reinforcements.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

^ good point. does anyone have experience with welding in the oem reinforcement plates and oem rollbar? I was looking at the fvd site, and am curious to hear people's install experience with the oem setup here in NA.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:05 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
^ good point. does anyone have experience with welding in the oem reinforcement plates and oem rollbar? I was looking at the fvd site, and am curious to hear people's install experience with the oem setup here in NA.

+1. Planning on tracking my .2 3rs Substantially more than the .1 3rs. I want something that functions properly not just a cage that’s anchored incorrectly and will be more likely to hurt me in event of actual rollover.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:34 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Just installed a BBi roll bar and sub bars. Went in smoothly and seats move fine. I installed black but a friend had his painted Lava Orange to match the car. Colour came out very nice. Talk to Jerry at BBi and if you tell him your a PCA member you might be able to get 10% off.

Originally Posted by ranger22
I suspect any of the mainstream bars BBI, RSS, GMG and Cantrell could easily defeat the mounting bolts/locations. Thus, I suspect the thicker Cantrell bar is just adding weight. GMG makes a bar that closest resembles the Porsche Techquipment, but I don't like their attitude towards supporting their products post-sale. For this reason, I'm leaning towards BBI. The double X is probably overkill. Keep in mind that these cars are solid enough these days that they could survive a roll without a bar to support the roof.
Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Just had a BBi installed and a friend did one himself as well in last week. From what I understand they went in very smoothly. Jerry at BBi will usally reply to any questions within a day.

Thank you everyone for mentioning our bar and here is a new Chalk 991.2 GT3 getting our color matched bar installed at Alekshop in Northern California.

Name:  5zG9TtD.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  696.6 KB
Name:  wjKyFNZ.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  515.5 KB

Our bar is constructed out of 4130 chromoly for superior strength to weight ratio and the harnesses are mounted on the rear section to mimic the configuration of the 991 GT3 Cup bar. Here are some of the highlights of our bar.

Since our bars are built to order, we can always tailor the design to our client's needs. In this case, this client wanted eyelet bolts to snap on the hanrnesses, have extra reinforcement gussets with dimple dies, and remove one cross bar from the rear section.

We can achieve a perfect match with unique colors such as Ultra Violet and use a custom mixed PPG paint instead of powdercoating at an additional charge.

Supreme Power's Fashion Grey 991 GT3 with Color Matched Bar

Colors such as Lava, we found a powdercoat match and can do it at no additonal charge. For all questions and inquiries, please email me at jerry@bbiautosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Last edited by BBiAutosport; 01-11-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Another Lava Orange from BBi

Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
Thank you everyone for mentioning our bar and here is a new Chalk 991.2 GT3 getting our color matched bar installed at Alekshop in Northern California.

Our bar is constructed out of 4130 chromoly for superior strength to weight ratio and the harnesses are mounted on the rear section to mimic the configuration of the 991 GT3 Cup bar. Here are some of the highlights of our bar.

Since our bars are built to order, we can always tailor the design to our client's needs. In this case, this client wanted eyelet bolts to snap on the hanrnesses, have extra reinforcement gussets with dimple dies, and remove one cross bar from the rear section.

We can achieve a perfect match with unique colors such as Ultra Violet and use a custom mixed PPG paint instead of powdercoating at an additional charge.

Supreme Power's Fashion Grey 991 GT3 with Color Matched Bar

Colors such as Lava, we found a powdercoat match and can do it at no additonal charge. For all questions and inquiries, please email me at jerry@bbiautosport.com

pM sent
Old 01-11-2018, 11:15 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I am very happy with my BBi bar and highly recommend this bar!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Yep BBi thanks for the support Jerry.

Quick Reply: What Cage to Install in 991.2 GT3