Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I trim my build - is the car too bloated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:04 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trim my build - is the car too bloated?

Hey guys,

I submitted my build about a week ago...but as I was finalizing it I quickly realized how I ended-up ticking way more boxes/spending way more than I planned.

Orignally, I was going with a gr, chalk or gbm with race buckets, black exterior bits/leds, buckets, CF interior trim with the leather/Alcantara interior, lift, and bose. A few added red interior accents and belts and sport chrono. Steel brakes and a few other basic/cheap options. Canadian msrp of my build was close to 187k. about 27k in options.

Fast forward three months and im at 218k, around 52k in options. I’m a dark PTS green, black exterior bits/leds, race buckets with the leather/Alcantara interior, cf trim and sills (non-lit), sport chrono, deviated sitiching and steering wheel trim (yellow thread), pccbs, lift, auto wipers, dimming mirrors, garage opener, yellow belts, Bose.

long story short, have I gone overboard ? I feel like I didn’t take any stupid options or just pure luxury without feeling worth it options. If that makes sense ... ie, I took options that I would be likely to notice and feel like they add specialness. But at the same time, this car has now become about 218k pre tax in Canada and is a regular gt3 ... have I just overbuilt the the thing and been stupid ?

yea, build what you love and don’t skimp if it makes you happy etc ... but also just unnecessarily burining cash seems irritating to me. I feel like I should get good value for most of my options if I ever sell the car, but who knows. 15k for green paint sounds pretty nuts to me haha.

Anyways - should I trim it or leave it alone and it will be epic
thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:06 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

PTS green, touring, buckets, tank done.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Summary: I just Can’t tell if I built a really special car that is ”worthy” of its price ... or a ridiculously expensive “base” gt3?

Ps. Trimming PTS out at this point isn’t really an option - too much pain went into that and I think paired with euro delivery it should be a cool overall experience.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

but its just like how you want it. Stop looking at the build sheet and $$. Drive it for next 10 yrs and you will be fine.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

For that price you might as well just buy at 2016 GT3RS
Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

On the plus side you will have the most expensive GT3 on the tracker.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:34 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by niqui7ladoo
Hey guys,

I submitted my build about a week ago...but as I was finalizing it I quickly realized how I ended-up ticking way more boxes/spending way more than I planned.

Orignally, I was going with a gr, chalk or gbm with race buckets, black exterior bits/leds, buckets, CF interior trim with the leather/Alcantara interior, lift, and bose. A few added red interior accents and belts and sport chrono. Steel brakes and a few other basic/cheap options. Canadian msrp of my build was close to 187k. about 27k in options.

Fast forward three months and im at 218k, around 52k in options. I’m a dark PTS green, black exterior bits/leds, race buckets with the leather/Alcantara interior, cf trim and sills (non-lit), sport chrono, deviated sitiching and steering wheel trim (yellow thread), pccbs, lift, auto wipers, dimming mirrors, garage opener, yellow belts, Bose.

long story short, have I gone overboard ? I feel like I didn’t take any stupid options or just pure luxury without feeling worth it options. If that makes sense ... ie, I took options that I would be likely to notice and feel like they add specialness. But at the same time, this car has now become about 218k pre tax in Canada and is a regular gt3 ... have I just overbuilt the the thing and been stupid ?

yea, build what you love and don’t skimp if it makes you happy etc ... but also just unnecessarily burining cash seems irritating to me. I feel like I should get good value for most of my options if I ever sell the car, but who knows. 15k for green paint sounds pretty nuts to me haha.

Anyways - should I trim it or leave it alone and it will be epic
thanks!
Pretty close to my build- most of the 991.2 GT3's are pretty loaded with most options- add 15K for PTS and well it's an expensive car- don't cheap out on your one of a kind car!

BTW, I would like to add you on the PTS order list- do you mind sharing some more on your order?

Dealer Province?
Manual or PDK?
Production date?

Thanks!

Andre
Old 12-07-2017, 07:17 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by evilfij
On the plus side you will have the most expensive GT3 on the tracker.
Haha - exactly a stat I wouldn’t be happy to own. I think the PTS is really killing my numbers. But like somebody else said, I don’t really see any option that isn’t “necessary” that has a significant cost. I could cut dimming mirrors and cheap stuff like that, but that’s pointless really. And doing away with things like pccbs and yellow stitching ... neither of which I actually need, I think will detract from the whole effect. If I went touring, I’d probably save 10k or so, since you can’t get yellow stitching etc. But I think touring may be too sleepy for me considering my darker pts Choice ... I guess I have my answer /// it is a stupidly expensive regular gt3, but that’s my build.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:34 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Without PTS is probably above average build but nothing over the top. If the colour / PTS is something that is important / benefit to you then go with it. Just don't do it for some perceived investment value as given number of PTS approvals and that level of spec, the car will be desirable at resale but will struggle to recover the extras.

If it makes you feel any better my spec (no PTS, no deviated stitch, but PCCB and buckets) has $87,430 AUD of options not including local taxes.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

Just make sure the car has everything you truly want. To me, every GT3 should have lwbs, PCCB, lift, full leather (even dash leather), Bose, all the interior and custom touches the owner wants, plus PTS if you can get. It’s all about your own personal preferences. If there is a budget, stick to it. Otherwise, just get everything you ever wanted. There are people here with nearly $50k usd in options...
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,223 Likes on 479 Posts

If your lucky enough to get a PTS spot, then build to your hearts desire. Yellow stitching with pccbs is a smart choice, looks fantastic. Other then full leather, leds, lift, bigger tank and visors in Alcantara, I can’t think of more I personally would want...but to each their own...I’ve never understood upgraded radio in a sports car. good luck and congrats!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:02 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by montoya
Pretty close to my build- most of the 991.2 GT3's are pretty loaded with most options- add 15K for PTS and well it's an expensive car- don't cheap out on your one of a kind car!

BTW, I would like to add you on the PTS order list- do you mind sharing some more on your order?

Dealer Province?
Manual or PDK?
Production date?

Thanks!

Andre
Yeah / thanks for chiming in. The pts is making the car seem pretty pricey. Without Pts, I likely wouldn’t bother would pccbs either. My car is manual. In Montreal, Quebec. And I am supposed to pick it up in May 2018 EU delivery. I don’t have a production date that I know of, but have asked the dealer.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

If you want to save money because of PTS cut the PCCBs unless you are a Green Packer's fan. Go with Platinum stitching, standard rims with the $720(US) headlight option skipping LEDs. I think this would be an exceptional build and save you quite a bit w/o taking away from an already beautiful car
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by disden
If your lucky enough to get a PTS spot, then build to your hearts desire. Yellow stitching with pccbs is a smart choice, looks fantastic. Other then full leather, leds, lift, bigger tank and visors in Alcantara, I can’t think of more I personally would want...but to each their own...I’ve never understood upgraded radio in a sports car. good luck and congrats!
Thanks to you and the above two people for their responses. I think the PTS allocation made this a bit of a vicious circle. I essnetially applied similar thinking ... if I get PTS, I might as well get everything that I want that isn’t flat stupid (like, from a personal perspective, leather door pillars and similar things I just wouldn’t notice or CXX craziness was avoided)....the PTS allocation also essnetially forced me to go PCCBs which I probably would’ve never taken, since I have no need for them. But with dark green and a heavy car, it just seemed like no carbons was stupid. And honestly, I kind of want to have PCCBs and give them a shot for myself!Funnily, I knew virtually nothing about PTS a few months ago. but I asked for it and then got it ... so I figured with euro delivery, might as well just go for it. I’m not going to lie, all the hype about how hard a slot is to get made me feel obliged to take it and my lack of love for most of the standard colors also swayed me ...the views suggesting that I should get most of my pts money back also pushed me. The car isn’t an investment but hopefully I won’t get fleeced when I sell it. There wasn’t a budget persay, but I didn’t expect PTS or PCCBs, or deviated yellow stitching, which together, added about 28k to the already decent options. So, now the total sticker of the car made me start wondering whether I am simply spending too much on a non-exotic/ rs....though, I’m sure I would’ve ended up spending another 50k in options on a RS or basic McLaren too. Judging from the comments, it doesn’t seem like anybody thinks I built a massively bloated car and things need to be trimmed...
Old 12-07-2017, 09:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by niqui7ladoo
Haha - exactly a stat I wouldn’t be happy to own. I think the PTS is really killing my numbers. But like somebody else said, I don’t really see any option that isn’t “necessary” that has a significant cost. I could cut dimming mirrors and cheap stuff like that, but that’s pointless really. And doing away with things like pccbs and yellow stitching ... neither of which I actually need, I think will detract from the whole effect. If I went touring, I’d probably save 10k or so, since you can’t get yellow stitching etc. But I think touring may be too sleepy for me considering my darker pts Choice ... I guess I have my answer /// it is a stupidly expensive regular gt3, but that’s my build.
Aux contraire..... deviated stitching would switch to CXX and add $10k to your build if you went Touring.

Quick Reply: Should I trim my build - is the car too bloated?