Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I trim my build - is the car too bloated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Aux contraire..... deviated stitching would switch to CXX and add $10k to your build if you went Touring.
Sorry, I meant you can’t get it as a standard option. I don’t even want to open the CXX can of worms ... then I could add another 911 in options if you let me. Maybe if I went touring, I’d go steel brakes and silver interior accents. But the touring just doesn’t excite me/ feels like a faux R. But that’s personal. Oddly, my dealer said no cxx interior stitching options available ... but he sounded wrong. At this price point, I share the general view of “get what you want” ... it’s emotional and not rational. But just was wondering if I took anything evidently stupid/wasteful. Or if the car is bloated with options that I likely won’t get back on resale - no crystal ball, I know. Also / the gentleman who recommended cutting pccbs and going to silver stitching ... that was actually my original build. And I feel like it would still look great, but I feel like the green exterior needs the yellow brakes. Painting the steels yellow at this price point seems shameful haha. But am curious if others think the steel brakes with a dark exterior green will look just as good or better than yellow ?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 AM
niqui7ladoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I never specked the Alcantara or leather sun visors...never saw the standard ones or thought I’d really notice this for the price....but maybe I am wrong.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by niqui7ladoo
Sorry, I meant you can’t get it as a standard option. I don’t even want to open the CXX can of worms ... then I could add another 911 in options if you let me. Maybe if I went touring, I’d go steel brakes and silver interior accents. But the touring just doesn’t excite me/ feels like a faux R. But that’s personal. Oddly, my dealer said no cxx interior stitching options available ... but he sounded wrong. At this price point, I share the general view of “get what you want” ... it’s emotional and not rational. But just was wondering if I took anything evidently stupid/wasteful. Or if the car is bloated with options that I likely won’t get back on resale - no crystal ball, I know. Also / the gentleman who recommended cutting pccbs and going to silver stitching ... that was actually my original build. And I feel like it would still look great, but I feel like the green exterior needs the yellow brakes. Painting the steels yellow at this price point seems shameful haha. But am curious if others think the steel brakes with a dark exterior green will look just as good or better than yellow ?
He sounded wrong because he is.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

In the end; when you start up the engine and start cruising around; most of the options you picked become meaningless. You forget all that stuff. Build the car that makes you happy but I am not a believer you need yellow brakes with a green car. The rear tailights are red and red calipers look just as good. I always said to Myself If I would of gotten PTS I would cut-out the PCCBs to justify the new cost of PTS. No one knows if you will get your money back but on a build that bloated chances are you may not unless you find some one who wants exactly what you built. Also now you have to think about this- you are paying a lot for PTS and now you have to protect that investment so assuming you are going to cover the whole car with PPF. That going to run you in the $6000-$7000 US range
Old 12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Yeah / thanks for chiming in. The pts is making the car seem pretty pricey. Without Pts, I likely wouldn’t bother would pccbs either. My car is manual. In Montreal, Quebec. And I am supposed to pick it up in May 2018 EU delivery. I don’t have a production date that I know of, but have asked the dealer.
While you're asking, find out your V code and the name of your Paint color choice on the PTS list.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
In the end; when you start up the engine and start cruising around; most of the options you picked become meaningless. You forget all that stuff. Build the car that makes you happy but I am not a believer you need yellow brakes with a green car. The rear tailights are red and red calipers look just as good. I always said to Myself If I would of gotten PTS I would cut-out the PCCBs to justify the new cost of PTS. No one knows if you will get your money back but on a build that bloated chances are you may not unless you find some one who wants exactly what you built. Also now you have to think about this- you are paying a lot for PTS and now you have to protect that investment so assuming you are going to cover the whole car with PPF. That going to run you in the $6000-$7000 US range
Jimmy, the counter argument is that PCCB for a street/fun car are really a performance upgrade and are becoming very popular- despite the price. 50%+ have selected them, so I imagine it will become a desired optioned at resale time. Agreed you don't want to get it just for the color, and I also agree that they are a very expensive choice for a mostly track car, which most PTS cars are not, LOL.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha - exactly a stat I wouldn’t be happy to own. I think the PTS is really killing my numbers. But like somebody else said, I don’t really see any option that isn’t “necessary” that has a significant cost. I could cut dimming mirrors and cheap stuff like that, but that’s pointless really. And doing away with things like pccbs and yellow stitching ... neither of which I actually need, I think will detract from the whole effect. If I went touring, I’d probably save 10k or so, since you can’t get yellow stitching etc. But I think touring may be too sleepy for me considering my darker pts Choice ... I guess I have my answer /// it is a stupidly expensive regular gt3, but that’s my build.
Look great to me. Price will be forgotten once you see her!!! This not the car for the budget minded.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 831 Likes on 381 Posts

There's no such thing as too many or too few options. Build the car exactly as you want it.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:36 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
There's no such thing as too many or too few options. Build the car exactly as you want it.
+1 OP is preaching to the choir on this.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

As long as it is driven and enjoyed it is money well spend.

Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Jimmy, the counter argument is that PCCB for a street/fun car are really a performance upgrade and are becoming very popular- despite the price. 50%+ have selected them, so I imagine it will become a desired optioned at resale time. Agreed you don't want to get it just for the color, and I also agree that they are a very expensive choice for a mostly track car, which most PTS cars are not, LOL.
I disagree. PCCBs on a street car are way more for keeping dust of a wheel than a performance deal. Regular, red, brakes are more than most need on a street. Unless of course you are advocating street racing, etc. It is also well known that those who want them on a used car know that % resell has dropped more than % resell on the car. Options never bring the same %. Unless of course you bought the options and are trying to get $ back.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:43 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The value in PCCB is, you most likely will never have any brake expenses on a street driven GT3.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay - to show how nonsensical such a thread is, here are two responses, equally valid.

Response 1:
Yes, this car is way too bloated. The GT3 is meant for the track, you just need buckets and the extended fuel tank and you are done. Even if you dont track it, you want to focus on the visceral driving experience, not some fancy leatherwork on the dash.

Response 2:
Of course not. This is the perfect build for you. The GT3 is a dream car, and without these options it can be a little sparse. Do you really want to spend all that money and not have a nice driving environment? Go for it!

The only way that such threads make sense to me is for people seeking validation. ie I am doing X, make me feel ok about doing it. This is fine, but be honest with yourself (and us) that that is what you are doing.

Ultimately my advice would be, be an adult, make your own choices. (keyboard warrior signing off)
Old 12-08-2017, 12:39 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

But whilst we are offering opinions, I think yellow calipers on a green car is not a great combo. Red and green as colours go together much better than yellow and green.

Quick Reply: Should I trim my build - is the car too bloated?