Sponsored by:

991.1 and 991.2 GT GT3 side by side

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 703 Posts
Default 991.1 and 991.2 GT GT3 side by side

I had the chance to meet up with Nick yesterday, who has the first delivered .2 GT3 in San Diego. He was kind enough to let me see and drive his car and compare to my .1 GR GT3. Nothing beats seeing a car in the flesh to notice details. In addition to the things I had noticed from online pictures, we noticed other more subtle differences. Overall the .2 GT3 is more angular compared to the more rounded curves of the .1. Even the front fenders are more angular on the .2, and the headlights are more declined and slightly less rounded. The rear bilateral heat exhausts (not tailpipes) are slightly taller and more angular on the .2 compared to the .1. I also noticed that the black .2 LEDs are about 15% darker than the black Xenons of the .1. In general, I prefer the Bi-Xenons in general for the shape of the main and driving lights, and the lower weight. I also like the darkness level of the .1 black xenons, so now I'm going to need to debate getting slightly darker black LEDs on my .2 vs moderately lighter gray Xenons with PDLS.

One thing surprised me about the .2 GT3 was that I liked the wheels in black with the red pinstripe. I've never been a fan of black wheels, but they looked rather good in person on Nicks car, particularly with the pinstripe. For contrast in the photos, my .1 has the standard platinum wheels.

Nick was kind enough to let me take his car for a short drive and I could definitely notice the increased torque. The engine has an angrier note to it, which I liked quite a bit. It's louder inside for sure. I can only imagine the volume of my .2 GT3 once I get her to the track!

Last edited by Drifting; 12-03-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:14 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Thanks for the comments, any pics of the rear's?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:30 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tx, this helps as I'm in for GR as well. Any thoughts on painting intakes body color with GR? Nice meeting spot, miss Torrey. Used to play it weekly as my grad work almamater was right across the street.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:34 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 31 Posts

saw my first one the other day took a few quick pics. agree more angular, more aggressive.
to date haven't been a fan of all the black parts/details or black wheels in pictures–seeing in person still feel the same.
wish they would have kept it clean. awesome car though i would make the switch if i could get an allocation.
im 3 on the list at a tiny dealership–wont be seeing one for quite some time.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:03 AM
AlvinHuyN
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to admit this but the .2 looks better than the .1 - that being said, the .1 is an especially good value for those of us that can't afford the latest and greatest toys ALL GT3s are amazing so I feel lucky to have one in my garage
Old 12-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
Thanks for the comments, any pics of the rear's?
if you can can recommend a free (and simple) photo editor.

Windows won’t work, I downloaded two free programs today to delete the license plates but the format of both was denied by rennlist so I gave up trying to load the photo from the rear.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=chance;14646116]saw my first one the other day took a few quick pics. agree more angular, more aggressive.
to date haven't been a fan of all the black parts/details or black wheels in pictures–seeing in person still feel the same.
wish they would have kept it clean. awesome car though i would make the switch if i could get an allocation.

Both are beautiful cars, but Overall I still prefer the look of the .1. If I could get the internals of the .2 GT3 in the bodywork of the .1, for a few grand extra, I'd take it.
Despite the cosmetic changes, the appeal of the new race derived 4.0 engine with more torque, more sound, improved RWS together with google maps navigation & Apple Carplay are enough for me to make the switch next year.

Originally Posted by PwAg
Tx, this helps as I'm in for GR as well. Any thoughts on painting intakes body color with GR? Nice meeting spot, miss Torrey. Used to play it weekly as my grad work almamater was right across the street.
I do not like the the black bits on the lower mirror, wing endplates, and air intakes, which is made worse by them looking rather cheap with whatever black plastic they used. I'm going to paint all three back to body color with GR as soon as I take delivery of my .2.

Similar new black plastic which I don't like on the front radiator air intakes. I think it will be hard to paint that piece in GR, but will consider it. I may also just do the front radiator black part and the rear air intakes in carbon fiber.

Last edited by Drifting; 12-04-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
if you can can recommend a free (and simple) photo editor.

Windows won’t work, I downloaded two free programs today to delete the license plates but the format of both was denied by rennlist so I gave up trying to load the photo from the rear.
Snagit cost $40 and you will be a customer for life. They have a 15 day free trial.
https://www.techsmith.com/download/snagit/
Old 12-04-2017, 01:55 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

IMO both the .1 and .2 are gorgeous and awesome machines in their own right

I have a special place in my heart for the .1 design as when it was announced it became the "poster car" for me, and I do like the cleaner full single color look on the .1, to the black bits added to the .2. But I also like the .2's angrier, more angled design, LED brake lights, door handles, and slimmer LED DRL's on the front bumper (someone else had said the .1 LED DRL's looked like a mustache and now I can't shake that thought out of my head when I see the .1 lol)

But the 4.0 motor/potential issues with the .1 engine, updated PCM, rear camera, my hope to configure my own car and do euro delivery for the first time, and of course latest and greatest technology and refinements from the .1 made the .2 the one to have for me if I had the luxury of choice. If I could not get an allocation for a .2, I was ready to go CPO shopping on a '15 or '16 .1 GT3.

Lucky to be able to have either one is my thinking!!
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (03-15-2021)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 101 Posts

Most of the US .2 GT3’s have not gone through the entire break in period. After a couple of thousand miles, I suspect the engine will have even more torque and the exhaust louder.

FWIW, like Drifting I thought that other than the front end and the rear air ducts, the styling of the .1and .2 is essentially the same. That isn’t the case. There many subtle changes which together make the car look more aggressive and performance oriented. The different color accents at least to me enhance the simple lines of the 911. To go with the same color for the entire car will visually make it more vanilla. I suppose some prefer that but I certainly don’t.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 157 Posts

Great to see them side by side and in the same colour.
I still think the .1 is a better looking car overall.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (03-15-2021)
Old 12-04-2017, 12:35 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The engine in the .2 is everything that the GT program is about. .1 is missing it completely. Thanks for the write-up. LEDs are a must. HIDs are so 2000s.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:49 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

.1 front with .2 rear (and engine) would be the perfect car. Thanks for the comparison OP.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Snagit cost $40 and you will be a customer for life. They have a 15 day free trial.
https://www.techsmith.com/download/snagit/
Thank you . Worked better than the ones I found. Here is the picture of the .1 and .2 from the rear.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

These look so similar. I’m sure .2 is “better” in every way but if you wanna save some bucks and hassle and headaches- .1 would be a phenomenal car.

just won’t have the latest and greatest and I think that’s just fine.

Quick Reply: 991.1 and 991.2 GT GT3 side by side